THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I do have a smart phone, only because my flip phone died and it's impossible to buy new ones.
Walmart, 30.00 bucks... no contract no muss no fuss...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tracfone-...bucket=__bkt__

Frank

Old 02-09-2021, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, I just asked my wife again and now the story is.....well I can get one but I wanted you to have a smart phone so I could text you, because I wouldn't text on the flip phone.

So there is my answer LOL

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 02-09-2021, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Keep one old car running on points for WHEN the EMP hits cause it’s not if it will happen but WHEN?
Will an alternator power the ignition even with a completely zapped dead battery ?
Has it been tested to go a distance ?
An internal voltage regulator might get the zap too.

The only things that will be moving are old full mechanical diesels.
Pull spring out of fuel solenoid (full on) - roll crank - go anywhere as far as you want to go so long as you have something to feed it.
I have a few of them (VW).
Used motor oil, atf, brake fluid, hydraulic fluid, cooking oil - almost anything but gas or water.

Even then, probably won't get that far before you get ambushed by the nearest group of marshal law desperados.

Old harley's with magneto's, pull start mini-bikes, Honda z50 and Trail 70 might work.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
I suspect that each person that has made a post on this thread uses a credit card. Most anyway. Go ahead, get rid of google and stay off of Facebook. Big brother already knows.........
It's not just credit cards, what about all the rewards programs?
Programs like AirMiles have completely eliminated coupons.

Cash rules. The other day Wendy's had some trouble processing
payments. Everyone seemed really annoyed that I had food.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:20 AM

It's true- everything we do is tied online into FB and Google, who has our email addresses. You surf, you get emails from google searches, your youtube channels- all just a giant pipeline straight to your phone and computer for advertisements, political lies and just BS.

If you're smart- you use the free gmail garbage for giving out to grocery stores, etc- give THAT email out to stores. PAY for a private email address that doesn't monitor your emails and then spam you- only for important stuff, (friends family, etc) No apps on your smartphone unless it's necessary for work. FB page (if you must)should be anonymous info.

Ever since I kicked out anything Google, my inbox and my life has been relatively quiet-- oh and don't forget a killer ad-blocker system, I use adguard. Kills ads everywhere including on youtube and FB if you set it up correctly. I don't see ads anywhere, not even on news sites.

Oh and hey what's up Cliff? Got your carb and dizzy on my lemans. Runs like a champ, thanks!

Randy in AZ

1970 LeMans Sport / 455 / TH350 / 3:42 Posi
Old 02-10-2021, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFB400HO View Post
As a kid I remember watching the first (1956) version of the movie 1984. The thought of the telescreens everywhere really alarmed and left an impression on me. Orwell envisioned them being forced on us. I never expected then that we would some day unknowingly or willingly end up put them in our homes, on our front doors, in our vehicles and carry them around with us.

Much of my education and career were in technology yet, personally we don't have any smart speakers, cameras, etc. enabled in our life. To use any video teleconference I have to turn on and uncover the camera and microphone in the computers. Our cellphone is a basic (non-smartphone and non-GPS) and stays off unless we are away from our landline and are expecting a call. I even completely disabled the GM Onstar immediately after an intrusive event occurred where they muted our radio and started talking about their service, interrupting my wife and my conversation.
Exactly what I do. I go thru and disable any assistance, use no siri or those other wiretaps.- Killed Onstar in my Caddy the moment I got it. Disabled the whole damn thing by swapping the stereo to an aftermarket setup with an integral GPS. There is no way in that car for Onstar to hear me, or talk back.

That's the name of the game these days- you buy a product it's not really yours, it's just another portal you bought for spam and marketing.- future purchases and upgrades from the company you bought your little device from.

1970 LeMans Sport / 455 / TH350 / 3:42 Posi
Old 02-10-2021, 11:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Will an alternator power the ignition even with a completely zapped dead battery ?
Has it been tested to go a distance ?
An internal voltage regulator might get the zap too.

The only things that will be moving are old full mechanical diesels.
Pull spring out of fuel solenoid (full on) - roll crank - go anywhere as far as you want to go so long as you have something to feed it.
I have a few of them (VW).
Used motor oil, atf, brake fluid, hydraulic fluid, cooking oil - almost anything but gas or water.

Even then, probably won't get that far before you get ambushed by the nearest group of marshal law desperados.

Old harley's with magneto's, pull start mini-bikes, Honda z50 and Trail 70 might work.
It is likely that even with the external mechanical regulator, the diodes in my '68's alternator would get fried. I thought about the EMP subject a while back and those diodes were a critical failure point.

Old 02-10-2021, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
It is likely that even with the external mechanical regulator, the diodes in my '68's alternator would get fried. I thought about the EMP subject a while back and those diodes were a critical failure point.
How about a 56 Nomad with a generator and points?

Old 02-10-2021, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
LOL I've been through that exact thing. Since I pay cash for most everything it was no big deal, I got moved right to the front of the line and everyone stood there dumbfounded

I've even had comments from store clerks when I hand them cash "Boy I haven't seen that in a while" And I've had a couple places that wouldn't even accept cash because of the beer virus, so I just walked out. Not hard to find someone else to take it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2021, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think any gas cars will go unless they have a magneto ignition retro-fit.
Some race cars have had those, so its probably possible for some makes.

Model T's might still get up and go.

Maybe a deep bunker could protect some emergency survival replacement parts.
Don't know enough about it, other than knowing the VWDzl's will still function.

At minimum - law enforcement/military would probably track me down on their mini-bikes and go-carts eventually and confiscate my vehicles for their use.
If the vigilantes haven't already gotten to me first.

Sounds WORSE than MadMax overall

Quote:
Maybe that would work. idunno

Old 02-10-2021, 02:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
The old generators may be fine. Our town auto traffic would look like Cuba's.

Old 02-10-2021, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The old generators may be fine. Our town auto traffic would look like Cuba's.
LOL

Old 02-10-2021, 02:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Maybe a deep bunker could protect some emergency survival replacement parts.
Don't know enough about it, other than knowing the VWDzl's will still function.

At minimum - law enforcement/military would probably track me down on their mini-bikes and go-carts eventually and confiscate my vehicles for their use.
If the vigilantes haven't already gotten to me first.

Sounds WORSE than MadMax overall

Maybe that would work. idunno
How about encasing the garage with a Faraday cage?

Old 02-10-2021, 02:40 PM

It sure seems like it is turning into George Orwell 1984 very creepy. I would luv to turn back the clock, but we know that aint happening.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cash rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
It's not just credit cards, what about all the rewards programs?
Programs like AirMiles have completely eliminated coupons.

Our CC pin pads are a PITA. Sometimes you have to insert them a couple of times to get them to work. Sometimes they won't work at all and then I have to listen to the customer complain how he knows he has money in that account blah blah blah.
Besides my older co-workers the younger ones don't carry cash, not even $5. They buy $1.50 sodas with an ATM card. One guys card wouldn't go so I said just give me $3. He didn't have it. They have recently started to have a debit return go back to the ATM card. It works half the time and when it doesn't I have to "Force" the return which is time consuming and requires a picture ID which in turn annoys the customer even more so I started just overriding it and giving them cash back. It works every time.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
The Following User Says Thank You to SRR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2021, 09:53 PM

Its way past just selling you stuff, FB and others have changed how people think and what they believe in. They learn what you like to see/read and then feed you 27 - 7. It began as surveillance capitalism many years ago, not sure what you would call this tactic now.

A lot of data is being collected and powerful algorithms are analyzing it. Data mining is a helluva lot more profitable than gold mining. Don't tell Parker and Tony Bleeps!

My wife & I flew international at xmas back in 2019, and we did not have to show boarding passes, Delta used facial recognition to recognize us so we could board,... they must already have us "in the system", I wonder when and where they "got me"?

Old 02-11-2021, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbird455 View Post
Its way past just selling you stuff, FB and others have changed how people think and what they believe in. They learn what you like to see/read and then feed you 27 - 7. It began as surveillance capitalism many years ago, not sure what you would call this tactic now.

A lot of data is being collected and powerful algorithms are analyzing it. Data mining is a helluva lot more profitable than gold mining. Don't tell Parker and Tony Bleeps!

My wife & I flew international at xmas back in 2019, and we did not have to show boarding passes, Delta used facial recognition to recognize us so we could board,... they must already have us "in the system", I wonder when and where they "got me"?

Disney World, Wal Mart, bank, phone, etc.