Old 06-11-2000, 10:51 AM

I have a start to the Hood Scoop page. If anyone has a 301,403,305,or the 185 horse 400 I could use some pics of the air cleaner/scoop assembly. If you do not have a scanner e-mail me and I will give you address to send the picture to.
Here is the link to what I have right now.
Shaker assemblies

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/S...75/shaker.html

------------------
The Pontiac Trans Am Page

Old 06-11-2000, 10:51 AM

I have a start to the Hood Scoop page. If anyone has a 301,403,305,or the 185 horse 400 I could use some pics of the air cleaner/scoop assembly. If you do not have a scanner e-mail me and I will give you address to send the picture to.
Here is the link to what I have right now.
Shaker assemblies

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/S...75/shaker.html

------------------

Old 06-11-2000, 11:33 AM

Keith,
Looking nice, but the first picture from that old ad is of a 78 T/A I'm pretty sure as it has the fisher t-tops and its gold which wasn't in available on T/A's until 78, right? Also, here is a picture of my 76. In the picture it has the Edelbrock Performer intake & 750cfm Edelbrock Performer carburetor which makes it sit low, but I also have a 1/2" spacer to make up for it (if it's unclear, the spacer IS on in this picture, w/out it sits lower).

Feel free to take the image and use on your page. It'd also be cool if you'd just put my name on the page along w/the pic or something.

Anywho, I'll pretty soon have my 455 in it w/an original Pontiac intake and Q-jet so I will take another picture to show where it sits like that.

Later,
Kevin

Old 06-11-2000, 06:13 PM

Busted!!! You can not pass anything by anymore. You are correct that is an ad photo for 1978 Firbirds that came out in 1977. I did not have a picture of one yet so I thought I would use it. Being a pre-production car the hood scoop looks simular to the 1977. It is really hard to tell for sure though in that picture.
Thanks for the photo I will post it and give reference to you with it.
By the way you have a nice looking T/A there.

------------------

Old 06-16-2000, 10:58 PM

Swaping from a 301 to a 400 in my 79 T/A. Using A Performer manifold. What if any thing will I need to do to make the shaker fit properly?
Thanks
Rob

Old 06-17-2000, 10:11 AM

I'm also in the process of "correcting" a 301 car with the 455. To do it right, you'll need a complete shaker assembly from a '77-'79 400 car. The actual fiberglass scoop appears to be identical; the difference is in the metal piece which is riveted onto the bottom of the scoop. The "hole" on the bottom of the 400 scoop is about 1.25" larger in diameter (about 16.75" vs. about 15.5") than the one on the bottom of the 301 scoop, so just putting a 400 scoop atop a smaller 301 base won't work. Also, because of the 301's shorter deck height, on the 301 scoop, the metal piece raises the scoop about 1.25" all around, as opposed to the 400 scoop where it is tapered from about 1" in the back to about 1 cm (@#$%&* metric system) in the front. As I've mentioned on the parts wanted board, I'm looking for a beaten up & otherwise worthless '77-'79 400 scoop for its bottom piece; don't want to cut up a good one. I have a complete 400 assy I bought for this purpose, but decided it's too nice to cut up, so if you're interested...

Old 07-30-2000, 04:59 AM

I appear to have the shaker with the larger diameter ring and the taper from 1" in the rear to next to nothing in the front. (400?) was on my 301 car when I bought it in may. doesnt fit on the 40 with a performer manifold, and a very thin carb base gasket. not even close. Right now temporarily I used a shorter open element air cleaner and S**t rigged the shaker to the hood. anybody have a decent method of attaching it to the hood with out drilling holes in the hood or welding a bracket to it? Considering glassing it in but could here from some who have already atached it to there hoods. and hear there expieriences.
Thanks
Rob

Old 07-30-2000, 10:25 AM

I have seen several shakers that were attached to the hood by using the hood braces. Put the scoop up against the hood from the underside and then use some band iron going from one brace to another to keep the hoodscoop pushed up to the hood. This way you are only drilling into the braces and it can not be seen with the hood closed.

------------------

Old 07-30-2000, 11:10 PM
Senior Chief

I tried this brace thing the first time I put the RPM on my car, after a week the hood scoop was pulling the bracing away from the hood, I took it off and was wonering how some of the hoods I had seen had lasted like that, or maybe my hood wasn't done good from the factory.

Old 07-30-2000, 11:38 PM

I temorarily rigged mine the way kkey described with some flat stock steel wedged under the hood bracing and holding the shaker up but my bracing was already partialy seperated from the hood so this probably wont last to long. dont really want to weld bracing to hood or drill holes in hood to mount shaker. Although I find having shaker mounted to hood to be much more convienent.
Rob
Also I am using the regular Performer not the RPM Was the Air Cleaner shorter on the 400 motors as compared to the 301?

[This message has been edited by Rob79 (edited 07-30-2000).]