Old 02-20-2000, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

it really bothers me to buy GM Restoration parts and then the manner in which they fit is less than satisfactory. GM would have never let this happen on cars going out the door.here is my problem. today at a swapmeet i purchased a set of the plastic chrome
hexagonal trans am center caps for snowflake wheels. the caps have the retaining support which clip into the wheel itself. if you take the retaining clip and insert it into the wheel, it is nice and secure, but if you slide the cap onto the retainer to the point where the cap base has "bottomed" on the wheel it becomes loose. in other words the cap has drawn the "spring" action of the retainer away from the slot in the center of the wheel which causes the cap assemby to wobble a bit. does anyone know of a "rig" in which to correct an obviously bad engineered product?
thanks

Old 02-20-2000, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

it really bothers me to buy GM Restoration parts and then the manner in which they fit is less than satisfactory. GM would have never let this happen on cars going out the door.here is my problem. today at a swapmeet i purchased a set of the plastic chrome
hexagonal trans am center caps for snowflake wheels. the caps have the retaining support which clip into the wheel itself. if you take the retaining clip and insert it into the wheel, it is nice and secure, but if you slide the cap onto the retainer to the point where the cap base has "bottomed" on the wheel it becomes loose. in other words the cap has drawn the "spring" action of the retainer away from the slot in the center of the wheel which causes the cap assemby to wobble a bit. does anyone know of a "rig" in which to correct an obviously bad engineered product?
thanks

Old 02-21-2000, 03:38 PM
Senior Chief

It sound like you got the later style caps for 82+. I also bought a set of hex cap for my 81 turbo SE and they are just like the original with the tabs and without the retainers. They worked great and are nice and tight.

My 79 400 4 speed Formula

either get busy living or get busy dying
Old 02-21-2000, 07:11 PM

I have seen some guys use a silicon bead around the cap to help hold it on.

------------------
The Pontiac Trans Am Page

Old 02-27-2000, 01:23 AM

Larry, when i worked at the dealership we had this problem also. We used clear silicone to glue the caps on to the wheels. I hate to let the cat out of the bag but some cars rolled out of the showrooms that way. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-02-2000, 01:10 PM

I found that "DuctSeal", that black putty stuff works better than silicon. Just roll it out in your hand to a 1/4" strip and place it around the outside of the tabs.
What makes this better that silicon, is that that is "set" immediately, and is resuable.
I have used this on caps with only a few tabs left and it has never failed to work well.

Old 06-02-2000, 11:26 PM
Administrator

We have sold hundreds of the snowflake repro caps without ever receiving a return for loose fit. Sounds like you got a bad set.