Old 01-16-2000, 08:01 PM

Upgrading a '66 GTO brakes and have put on '80 T/A rear disks. Having problem with wheels. Got reproduction Rally I's (15 x 7) and the wheels contact the calipers.

What size wheels (diameter and width) wheels did the T/A originally come with?

------------------
Special Ed
email: eneasham@3-cities.com

Old 01-16-2000, 08:01 PM

Upgrading a '66 GTO brakes and have put on '80 T/A rear disks. Having problem with wheels. Got reproduction Rally I's (15 x 7) and the wheels contact the calipers.

What size wheels (diameter and width) wheels did the T/A originally come with?

------------------
Special Ed
email: eneasham@3-cities.com

Old 01-17-2000, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The original 79-81 4 wheel disc brake cars had 15x8 Snowflake or Turbo wheels. The rear discs were standard equipment on 80-81 turbo cars, even without the WS6 option. On these non-WS6 turbo cars, Rally II's were standard and 15x7 Snowflakes were NOT an option. So 15x7 Rally II's, 15x8 Snowflake and 15x8 Turbo wheels will work with rear discs.

Old 01-18-2000, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sounds like the 15x7 reproduction wheels you have, are actually 14x7!
check the diameter of your wheels. the manufacturer could have made a mistake in your order.

Old 01-18-2000, 07:37 PM

I may be mistaken, but I thought the rear disks only came with the 15x8 snowflakes or turbo wheels do to caliper clearance problems. This is the only way I have ever seen them.

Old 01-18-2000, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know that it sounds extremely odd, but the 80-81 Turbo cars came with 3 mandatory options; 4 wheel discs, TH350 and A/C. I looked at a very, very low mile original 80 turbo T/A and it had body colored Rally wheels. I know it was original. Then a few years later, I saw another and it was the same way. I don't know about the Rally I's, but the Rally II's will work. I also know Honeycombs wont. Most cars that came with 4 wheels disc also included the WS6 suspension. I know this seems odd also, but WS6 included the 4 wheel disc brake package, but the 4 wheel disc could be ordered with OUT WS6. The option code for 4 wheel disc slips my mind at the moment, but I'll look it up and post it.

Old 01-31-2000, 07:15 AM

79 was the first year for 4 wheel disc brakes. As I recall it was linked to the WS6 Special Performance Package which included the 15x8 Snow Flake cast aluminum rims. Rally II's were not available as an option that year. With the passing of the 400 engine, the 80 and 81 model Birds had a slightly different option list. The WS6 became a Special Appearance Package. The Turbo wheels were part of that option package. Rally IIs with trim rings were standard on TAs. There's more to it that I've forgotten, but the key is that 15x8 Snow Flakes, Turbos, and Rally IIs with a 4.5" deep set measured from the back of the rim to the face of the center bolt hub will mount on a 4 wheel TA or Formula from 79-81. All are 15" rims. A 14" rim will not work.

Old 02-05-2000, 05:56 PM
Senior Chief

I have a 81 turbo S/E and came with 4 wheel disc brakes WITHOUT WS6 package. It also came with 7" snowflakes. You could upgrade to WS6 and get the 8" snowflakes(standard) or opt to spend more and get the turbos. Turbo wheels was always a upgrade and was never a standard option with any group. The key for clearance is to find a wheel with the correct back spacing.

[This message has been edited by David (edited 02-05-2000).]

My 79 400 4 speed Formula

either get busy living or get busy dying