Old 04-03-2000, 03:18 PM

I just took the borg warner t-10 tranny out of my 79 TA, and I need to replace the shifter. What model from Hurst will be a good match so I can install the new shifter so it fits in just as nice as the old one did.

Thanks guys

Fusion

Old 04-03-2000, 03:18 PM

I just took the borg warner t-10 tranny out of my 79 TA, and I need to replace the shifter. What model from Hurst will be a good match so I can install the new shifter so it fits in just as nice as the old one did.

Thanks guys

Fusion

Old 04-03-2000, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went through this whole situation on my 1976 Trans Am. I was concerned with originality but I broke down and bought a Hurst Competition Plus Shifter and the install kit for the BW ST-10 tranny. I made the mistake of not doing it before. The total was somewhere around $250-$300 and it was worth every last penny. The best thing is it fits in the stock location and doesn't require any modifiaction at all. The stock rubber shift boot fits over the the chrome shifter and the tightness of the shifter is great. It still has the long throw, but the gate is much tighter. The only deviation from stock appearance wise it the fact this shifter is flat where the original is round. Once installed it takes a trained eye who is looking directly at that to notice the difference. If need be, I can get the part numbers and exact price I paid for mine from Jegs. Classic Industries carries them as well, but they are over $100 higher than Jegs. The shifter and the install kit, which contains the new rods and mounting hardware, are both sold separate.

Old 04-03-2000, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are the Hurst part numbers which can be given to any sales rep.

373-8609 Comp Plus install kit $81.99
391-8791 Comp Plus shifter $158.99

I purchased these from Jegs, but Summit also carries them. At the time of my order, Summit was on back order.

Old 04-06-2000, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

hurst also, offers a rebuild service for all musclecar shifters for around $50 - 60.
i had one rebuilt for a '73 t/a a few years back, and was very pleased.
i don't believe it may be as "tight" as a new unit but if your on a budget, this may be the answer.

Old 04-07-2000, 05:56 PM

One other thought on the comp + ,excellent shifter, get the steel or brass shift bushings with it . This makes a world of difference over the nylon that were supplied with the last one i bought. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 04-07-2000, 10:10 PM

mike, where do I get those from?
Can I order them from summit or jegs?
Would you happen to have a part number?

sorry for the 20 questions [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Fusion

Old 05-01-2000, 03:04 PM

no problem with the questions, thats what this board is for. the last set that i bought came from a local speed shop that is now gone. sorry i don't still have the part #. contact summit or jegs and if no help there contact hurst directly. if no help then try mr gasket,altho they maybe the same co. now . one other thing about hurst, if they still honor it they used to have a lifetime warranty on their product. you break it send it back they redo it for no charge except shipping.we had this done on a 4x4 shift out of a 74 blazer,expected a bill and never got one. shifter worked like a new one when returned. sorry i couldn't be of more help. mike

[This message has been edited by mike nixon (edited 05-01-2000).]

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill