Old 01-10-2023, 07:00 PM

Question 1971 Firebird radio speakers

On a 1971 Firebird with the rear speaker option. How many speakers total? I know two in the rear, but how many up front? This is for a stereo radio.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Early to mid 70's Firebirds with optional STEREO-RADIO had one speaker in the rear pkg tray combined with the front center speaker in the dash. The fader dial adjusted sound between the two. It was the same way in '69-72 Pontiac A-bodies.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Early to mid 70's Firebirds with optional STEREO-RADIO had one speaker in the rear pkg tray combined with the front center speaker in the dash. The fader dial adjusted sound between the two. It was the same way in '69-72 Pontiac A-bodies.
X-2! No factory installed double rear speakers. But the possibility exists of dealerships doing a second rear speaker.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To further the Misery, the ONE rear speaker was on the drivers side.. yup, the pass side conflicts with the spare.
I did have a 73 Esprit loaded with options that had am fm 8 track and 2 rear speakers but had a space saver spare.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
X-2! No factory installed double rear speakers. But the possibility exists of dealerships doing a second rear speaker.
And we had compete with Radio shack and Pioneer super tuners and " tri axial" speakers ! .

Old 01-10-2023, 07:48 PM
Senior Chief

Correct, one speaker in the dash and only one in the package tray on stereo radios. Also be mindful of the speaker that you use with a factory radio. The output amplifier's transistor is biased by the DC resistance of the speaker, if it is not correct you can damage the radio.

Old 01-11-2023, 03:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I believe factory speakers have square magnets and run on different ohmss than today's speakers. They also require a special bracket to hold the baffle. Did the factory red dot stereo with added dealer speaker have left right balance or just front back? I imagine you would need to wire rear speakers in parallel and that will not drop the ohms or have a rear right channel installed in radio unit. When I get there in a few years I would like to know how to add an extra speaker to the back deck.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:22 AM

Thank you all. Your info is invaluable. I'm looking at a reconditioned Red Dot radio and the owner thinks it will need 4 speakers to work! Back in the day my understanding of stereo was just 2 speakers. He does mention that 8-10 ohm speakers are needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to FHC1971 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2023, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
And we had compete with Radio shack and Pioneer super tuners and " tri axial" speakers ! .
..and thx for the trip down memory lane...

Old 01-11-2023, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairnacho View Post
I believe factory speakers have square magnets and run on different ohmss than today's speakers. They also require a special bracket to hold the baffle. Did the factory red dot stereo with added dealer speaker have left right balance or just front back? I imagine you would need to wire rear speakers in parallel and that will not drop the ohms or have a rear right channel installed in radio unit. When I get there in a few years I would like to know how to add an extra speaker to the back deck.
Have had several factory stereo equipped early 70's LeMans & GTO's apart where a prev owner had disconnected the front speaker wire & extended the front speaker wire to an added pass side speaker under the package tray. Back in the late 80's, one of first fellows I set up with at swappers did that deal in his '69 Judge. I was parting a 70 SJ & I let him have the original rear speakers, nub brackets, clips, & cardboard surrounds. Looked factory when done.

As mentioned above, not a lot of room under the package tray of a 2nd Gen w a full sized spare, so for most it's easy to just restore a system with front to rear fade. Can't remember any front to rear AND left to right faders on Delco Stereos til early 70's Pontiac B series, poss the '71 Rivieras . Have a complete '71 or 72 B series Stereo w pedestal mount 8 track assemblies I pulled out of one of the GrandVilles I cut up. That unit is different in how the speakers "balance" than the prev GTO & GrandPrix setups that I've pulled & tested.

Old 01-11-2023, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairnacho View Post
Have had several early 70's LeMans & GTO's w factory Stereo's apart where prev owner had disconnected the front speaker wire & extended the front speaker wire to an added pass side speaker under the package tray. Back in the late 80's, one of first fellows I set up with at swappers did the same deal in his '69 Judge. I was parting a 70 SJ & I let him have the original rear speakers, nub brackets, clips, & cardboard surrounds.

As mentioned above, not a lot of room under the package tray of a 2nd Gen w a full sized spare, so for most it's easy to just restore with front to rear fade. Cantremember any front to rear AND left to right faders on Delco Stereos til early 70's Pontiac B series. Have a complete '71 or 72 B series Stereo w pedestal mount 8 track assembly. Pulled it out of one of the GrandVilles I cut up. That unit is different in how the speakers "balance" than the prev GTO & GrandPrix setups that I've pulled & tested.

Old 01-11-2023, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHC1971 View Post
Thank you all. Your info is invaluable. I'm looking at a reconditioned Red Dot radio and the owner thinks it will need 4 speakers to work! Back in the day my understanding of stereo was just 2 speakers. He does mention that 8-10 ohm speakers are needed.
This is rebuilt to modern specs, it can easily run 4 speakers and sound much much better than stock. So you will need quality, thicker speaker wires .