THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-27-2023, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Wasn't sure where to post this but I thought some of the "engine guys" might have a little interest in this one. Mods: feel free to move or remove if it doesn't belong here. Engine going on the dyno is a Studebaker V-8, a 289 Cu In engine. Belongs to one of my students. OE iron heads, some port work done. Up graded connecting rods. (pinch bolt small end removed to full floating) Paxton supercharger removed and upgraded to a Vortech supercharger. Carburetor replaced with Fitech EFI. Point ignition replaced with a full electronic ignition system. Should be interesting. I post this because much like our beloved Pontiacs, this is a "legacy engine". A very solid engine design with many good features. A nice block structure, good head design with fully machined combustion chambers, lots of head bolts, solid, strong lifter area. One downfall, IMO, is it was too small for the cars of the day. A 289 was the "big" Studebaker V-8! It needed another 100-125 Cu Inches to be a real player in the day. That's the reason they factory supercharged it. Should be a fun dyno session. (s) These Studebaker guys are just as dedicated to their engine as the Pontiac guys and flathead guys.
Any issue getting camshafts for those engines? Just curious what the valvetrain will look like.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
Old 01-27-2023, 08:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet64 View Post
And to think it all started in 1858 when Wheelbarrow Johnny went west in search of gold and then went from building wheelbarrows to carriages back home in South Bend, then to building cars. Great story as told on Death Valley Days of John M. Studebaker and his most unusual life.
His brothers were already building wagons, for the US Army, during the Civil War.

Old 01-27-2023, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
Any issue getting camshafts for those engines? Just curious what the valvetrain will look like.
Not sure what the current status is for cores. I will ask Monday. The Studebaker hobby is strong, much like the Pontiac hobby. Mechanically, not as interesting to me as Pontiac because only the V-8's make reasonable power by our standards. But still cool and certain models have very attractive styling and advanced features. Cool that some Pontiac people are interested in this "orphan". I will post a couple pics I took today at the school while working on a Pontiac.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2365.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	606162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2366.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	606163   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2367.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	606164  

Last edited by mgarblik; 01-27-2023 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am sorry the pics are turned. I don't know how to correct them.

Old 01-27-2023, 10:57 PM

pictures

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2365.jpeg
Views:	461
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	606165   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2366.jpeg
Views:	416
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	606166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2367.jpeg
Views:	458
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	606167  

Old 01-28-2023, 01:37 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Mike- can the Stude 289 center exhaust ports be un-siamesed as I've done to '58 Pontiac heads?

Old 01-28-2023, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Mike- can the Stude 289 center exhaust ports be un-siamesed as I've done to '58 Pontiac heads?
Another good question. I have my little list to ask on Monday.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A little update on the Studebaker 289. They ran it last night and did the break-in on the engine, camshaft and valvetrain specifically. Checked everything out mechanically and made a couple base line pulls just to make sure everything was OK. Initial break-in was with a "school carburetor". This is a little BLP Holley that was donated to the school 15 years ago that we use if a student doesn't have a carburetor or we suspect their carburetor has problems. The Studebaker doesn't have a carb because it is going Fitech tonight. Once tuned-in and running decent with FI, the supercharger will be added to the mix next week. To answer some questions posted in the thread over the last few days;

Camshaft: solid roller of unknown specs. Cam card coming tonight will post specs. later. It's mild.
Connecting rods: Carrillo I beams full floating
Crankshaft: factory forged
Ignition: GM HEI grafted to Studebaker distributor
Intake manifold: Chrysler very low single plane with Studebaker flanges
Car engine to be installed in: 1964 Studebaker Daytona. (Basically a trimmed out Lark but they dropped the Lark name in 64)
Center exhaust ports: Left stock and siamesed. No practical way to separate them according to owner. Others have tried with no real performance gains.
Static compression: 8:1
Results from a couple run in pulls: Peak torque: 308.8 ft. lbs @ 4200 RPM
Peak HP: 295.2 @ 5800 RPM.

More updates to follow. Thanks for the interest in this "orphan engine". Something a little different. No sugar coating or games at our school. The widowmaker, (our dyno), is the NO BS meter.

I did make a little video of a run-in pull. I hate to impose but if someone is tech savvy enough and wants to PM me, I can send you raw footage from my I phone you can feel free to post. I just don't know how to get it from my phone to the message board or even youtube for that matter. Just not my thing. Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems like decent power to me. Long before I was old enough to own a car I was a Studebaker fan ... mostly because of the supercharger and the Avanti. Thought it was years ahead of everyone else.

Old 01-31-2023, 03:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's the video of the Dyno pull:

https://youtube.com/shorts/ss-BaVcyAVU?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks to Jhein. Here is a screen shot to go with it.
Don't know why they all turn. Is there an easy way to flip these pics?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stude dyno 1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	606411  

Old 01-31-2023, 03:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Flipped

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 01-31-2023, 04:56 PM

That torque curve looks good should pull well all the way through 5k.

Old 01-31-2023, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
Flipped

For a 289 NA engine with an 8:1 C/R that isn’t a bad first dyno pull. Can’t wait to see the results with the supercharger and F.I.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-31-2023, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Thanks to Jhein. Here is a screen shot to go with it.
Don't know why they all turn. Is there an easy way to flip these pics?
If the pictures are on a camera, you should be able to access the EXIF data and turn off the rotation. If they are on your computer, try editing the picture by rotating it and saving it under a different name.

Old 01-31-2023, 06:27 PM
Boost Engineer

On the Super Charger "Compressor Tag" should be the Model Number and other info which I could help translate for the board.

Mind posting a picture of the compressor tag???

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mild cam?? WTF!
With 8 to one, a horse per cube and no blower? Wow. You think it's the intake?

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 02-01-2023, 03:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Had a '54 Champion when I was 16. Only negative I remember from back then was the 289 seemed to be about the same exterior size as our Pontiac engines. Really a beefy design for so few cubes. I can see why it held up to being supercharged.

Old 02-01-2023, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the continued interest. The guys worked on the engine last night right to the end of class. Class is 5:30-10-30 PM, Monday, Tuesday only. We have an engine shop and a second room about 150 ft. away for the dyno cells and flow bench. I have 16 engines and students to keep track of along with my co-teacher. But it's extremely busy. So the Studebaker guys, (2) were on their own most of the night. Starting from scratch, the guys got the Fitech all wired up, O2 sensor bungs welded on and hooked up and fuel supply system changed over to high pressure FI vs carburetor. They hit the start button, engine cranked about 2 seconds and started right up, idled about 2 seconds and stalled. Tried it a second time and it started right up and maintained a decent idle at 900 rpm's or so. Checked for leaks and shut it down for the night. Next Monday, time to tune it and make some NA, EFI pulls. Then add supercharger to the mix. To answer a couple questions posted: 1. Tom, I will post a pic of supercharger data plate if I get a chance later this week. 2. Sorry, I forgot to get the cam specs. from owner, slipped my mind. 3. The modified Mopar intake, IMO is not a performance improvement over the stock iron intake. But it is aluminum and much lighter and a single plane. Back to back pulls, the Mopar intake was almost an identical curve making 2 more HP at the top vs the stock iron 2-plane. Both intakes are super low, similar to an Oldsmobile. The mixture enters the plenum and has to travel down, then up hill and turn to enter the head. Almost like an upside down Pontiac intake. It is all so wrong for performance. No wonder the Pontiac stock intake works so well compared to other manufacturers terrible factory offerings. The 396-325 HP BBC, had a similar lousy intake on such good heads. At least they had big ports. Finally, the pics I am posting are on my phone. I will try to rotate them on the computer before posting. Thanks guys for cleaning them up for me. I am challenged in that area. Report back next week.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting build...