Old 01-25-2023, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Need Front Floor mats ..67 GTO Help !

Looking for some nice fitting front floor mats...that don’t scrunch up ...and don’t send me to Ames . I bought their mats...and am not happy.

So if there is another vendor....that would be much appreciated.

Old 01-27-2023, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone ?

Old 01-27-2023, 06:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can you place a few tabs of Velcro on the underside to hold them in position. Just a random thought. I hate it as well when floor mats don't stay put.

Tim john---

Old 01-27-2023, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim john View Post
Can you place a few tabs of Velcro on the underside to hold them in position. Just a random thought. I hate it as well when floor mats don't stay put.

Tim john---
forget velco, nothing fixes the junk repops. they get 10 times worse in colder weather as they get very hard and i've had to remove them because they'll foul up the gas pedal all frozen and balled up underneath it. My only solution was endless ebay searching and bought usable originals (and a few scores on NOS ones as well -though the cost on those HURT at the time) original mats do not bunch and they don't get stiff in the cold either.

more often than not I found usable original mats cheaper than the repop trash but that was a few years ago. not much on there now. I see a blue passenger side and that's about it right now. but I'd keep chasing it that way. I never had any luck with wanted ads here on PY.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27563681883...temCondition=4

Old 01-27-2023, 04:31 PM

I'd like to quantify the differences between originals and reproductions. I bought mine from Inline Tube in 2019 and measured 0.163" on the thicker parts and 0.086" for the grooves. The material is very pliable but I don't have any scrunching problems or it moving. What are the thickness of the originals?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230127_202013454.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	606137  

Old 01-27-2023, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4ben View Post
I'd like to quantify the differences between originals and reproductions. I bought mine from Inline Tube in 2019 and measured 0.163" on the thicker parts and 0.086" for the grooves. The material is very pliable but I don't have any scrunching problems or it moving. What are the thickness of the originals?
too hard to get to them now with the winter storage for measuring, but I don't recall there being much of a difference on the thickness. For me, the repops were nice and pliable as long as it was 80 degrees out and not that big a deal with the curling in the crease under the gas pedal. when Spring or Fall rolls around, they got stiff and became a problem under the pedal. I tried heating them with a heat gun to reform them to bend better in that area, but again, as soon as they're warm, they go right back to nice and soft and pliable.

with originals, there's no real difference hot or cold and it was never an issue again for me. Maybe they've changed rubber formulations since I abandoned repops. I've had 2 sets of them. one bought from Ames in 1997 and the other set from Ames in 2006. After fighting with them for years and frustration I tracked down originals and have never looked back. Again, this is my experience with them, but in both cases, the repops got rock hard when it's cooler out and the factory ones don't.

Old 01-28-2023, 02:30 AM

Based on your description, I'll have to try an experiment when the wife makes some room in the freezer. I'll take the reproduction mat and a remnant from my new molded carpet and measure friction between the surfaces at ambient temperature and at 0F to see the hardening and slippage.

Old 01-28-2023, 07:56 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
Looking for some nice fitting front floor mats...that don’t scrunch up ...and don’t send me to Ames . I bought their mats...and am not happy.

So if there is another vendor....that would be much appreciated.
Check with Paul L, he might know where there is a set of originals.

Old 01-28-2023, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Made these myself
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64 interior.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	606179  

Old 01-28-2023, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
Made these myself
& rears also 2pc. trunk mat .

Old 01-28-2023, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in NH View Post
Check with Paul L, he might know where there is a set of originals.
Good idea