FAST E6 ignition box with rev limiter
FAST coil (E92 or 93)
New fully charged Odyssey battery
Powermaster 12si 150amp alternator
radio/amp etc. not connected
Dakota Digital RTX gauges connected and operational
Resistor Plugs 41-629
Resistor spark plug and coil cables
ZL1 fuel module and vaporworx PWM controller (w/second fp sensor located next to the tank)

------------------------------
Here's what I'm using from the EFI ECU--harness has loose wires and connectors
IN USE/CONNECTED
--> loose wire pink 12 volts switched (connected to 12v sw. AAW wire, doesn't drop off)
--> loose wire grey A/C input (not connected yet)
--> loose wire thick red (connected directly to the battery +)
--> loose wire thick black (connected directly to the battery -)
--> loose wire pink distributor power (connected to the distributor)
--> loose wire brown points out (connected to ignition box points in)
--> connector distributor (connected to distributor)
--> connector fuel pressure sensor (connected to FAST sensor in fuel line under car)
--> connector fuel pump green trigger wire (connected to Vaporworx controller connector)
--> connector handheld
--> connector oxygen sensor
--> connector throttle body
--> connector coolant temp

NOT USED/NOT CONNECTED
loose wire gray/black future use
loose wire blue/yellow future use
loose wire blue fan 1
loose wire blue/white Fan 2
loose wire gray/red nitros
loose wire white rpm input (for when ECU is not controlling timing
Connector can Link
Connector crank trigger
Connector fuel pump harness

----------------
Ignition box wiring
USED/CONNECTED
-->loose wire red Battery + connected directly to junction box next to battery
-->loose wire black Battery - connected directly to junction box next to battery
-->loose green wire tach connected to Dakota Digital controller box
-->connector thin red 12v switched connected to switched 12v wire in AAW harness
-->connector white points out connector to brown points out from EFI harness
-->connector black and orange wires to coil

NOT USED/NOT CONNECTED
loose wire blue cylinder select
loose wire brown/white retard
loose wire yellow white stage
connector violet and green Mag +/1 trigger wire

Give me a few to review, juggling stuff right now, been crazy for me, and am moving Saturday to boot!

Just to say, I have heard of issues with the Dakota Digital gauges and feedback, might want to try disconnecting the tach. I did a quick search yesterday but couldn't find what I was looking for, need to dig a little more on that.

Are you using the Dakota Digital BIM module and connected w the Y cable to the CAN? If so, should try without that in place as well.

Also might want to try hooking the wire directly to the fuel pump, bypass the VaporWorx box, just to eliminate that too.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-30-2022, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
Give me a few to review, juggling stuff right now, been crazy for me, and am moving Saturday to boot!

Just to say, I have heard of issues with the Dakota Digital gauges and feedback, might want to try disconnecting the tach. I did a quick search yesterday but couldn't find what I was looking for, need to dig a little more on that.

Are you using the Dakota Digital BIM module and connected w the Y cable to the CAN? If so, should try without that in place as well.

Also might want to try hooking the wire directly to the fuel pump, bypass the VaporWorx box, just to eliminate that too. .
I appreciate your help, especially given how busy you must be with your upcoming move.

I'll remove the DD gauges and control box from the equation when I have the chance--hoping Friday or this weekend. The BIM module never worked, so I removed it. At the time, I didn't think it was a big deal (just had to run wires for a second coolant temp sensor and tach signal from the ignition box directly to the DD box). But now that you mention it, I'm wondering if the problems are somehow connected--DD not playing nicely with the FAST ECU.

Old 12-04-2022, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I spent yesterday rerouting wires, removing non-essential electrical parts, and hooking the system back up. Had my fingers crossed. Unfortunately, the instant I powered up the fuel pump to check for leaks, fuel poured/sprayed out the LH side of the throttle body. What a mess. Folks at FAST must have forgotten to do something inside the unit when they were testing it.

Old 12-28-2022, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I received the throttle body from FAST last week. Apparently, they partially disassembled the throttle body to flow test it the first time I sent it in and messed up an o-ring when they reassembled it.

In the interim I bought a Sniper set-up and Hyperspark ignition/distributor kit. I'm sure I could get the FAST system working, but to be honest, I just lost patience.

The decision to go Sniper in particular came down to two considerations. First, folks I know here in town have had great success with them. One in particular runs one in a 535ci TA that's been driven 15-20k miles over the last 2-3 years. Second, the system and wiring is very sorted and compact. The harness that came with the Hyperspark kit (and which replaces the Sniper harness) simplified things greatly and made it possible to move stuff (main harness, ignition box, fuel controller) from the firewall to the interior in a way that minimizes the number of runs.

I did spend a lot of time rewiring to reduce the chance I'll run into RFI/EMI issues and to hide things. I also had to send the Vaporworx controller back to Carl so that he could set it up for positive trigger and adjust the fuel pressure to 60, but he turned it around in a day. At this point, all I have to do is swap out distributors and should be ready to start up.

Old 12-28-2022, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
I received the throttle body from FAST last week. Apparently, they partially disassembled the throttle body to flow test it the first time I sent it in and messed up an o-ring when they reassembled it.

In the interim I bought a Sniper set-up and Hyperspark ignition/distributor kit. I'm sure I could get the FAST system working, but to be honest, I just lost patience.

The decision to go Sniper in particular came down to two considerations. First, folks I know here in town have had great success with them. One in particular runs one in a 535ci TA that's been driven 15-20k miles over the last 2-3 years. Second, the system and wiring is very sorted and compact. The harness that came with the Hyperspark kit (and which replaces the Sniper harness) simplified things greatly and made it possible to move stuff (main harness, ignition box, fuel controller) from the firewall to the interior in a way that minimizes the number of runs.

I did spend a lot of time rewiring to reduce the chance I'll run into RFI/EMI issues and to hide things. I also had to send the Vaporworx controller back to Carl so that he could set it up for positive trigger and adjust the fuel pressure to 60, but he turned it around in a day. At this point, all I have to do is swap out distributors and should be ready to start up.
Happy to see you are starting to get it sorted out. I think it's a good move going to a Holley set-up. Are you going to use the distributor gear that comes with the Hyperspark or are you switching to a composite gear? I have this same decision coming up in the next couple weeks (Holley Terminator X with coil near plug and dual sync distributor) and I'm thinking the composite gear may be the way to go.

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 12-28-2022, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 70 Judge View Post
Are you going to use the distributor gear that comes with the Hyperspark or are you switching to a composite gear? I have this same decision coming up in the next couple weeks (Holley Terminator X with coil near plug and dual sync distributor) and I'm thinking the composite gear may be the way to go.
I'm going to run a composite gear...the one that came on the Hyperspark dist is cast iron, which is a no go with the hydraulic roller. Not sure what gear comes with the Dual Sync

Old 12-29-2022, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Which Sniper system did you get, the XFlow?

1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
Old 01-04-2023, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went with the regular base Sniper. It should be enough for this engine.

Install was super easy. The harness that comes with the Hyperspark stuff (and which replaces the Sniper harness) is really organized and compact. There are plugs for all the components and the runs are a good length. The bulk of the harness is in the car now, along with the ignition box (which I installed under the console) and Vaporworx fuel system controller. The square coil is on the firewall still, but I may replace that with a Sniper canister coil so it look more factory. Overall, much cleaner.

I dropped in the distributor last night, rechecked the wiring and connections, and ran the basic set-up on the handheld. She started right up. I have a friend coming over on Friday to help fine tune timing, throttle position, etc.

I also ordered and installed a Dakota Digital BIM module for the Holley system. This way I don't need the extra water temp sender/wire and a separate RPM wire from the Holley harness. Wiring was straightforward. Just had to set it up the BIM to recognize Sniper and reset the gauges to BIM input...it seems to work just fine.

Still have some things to straighten out, but I feel like I'm making progress now.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5539.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	604585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5541.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	604586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5542.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	604587  

Old 01-04-2023, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks very clean - glad to hear it's getting back on track!

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 01-05-2023, 06:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good news, and pretty sure you will be happy with the sniper setup. Apologize for not having the time to go over your stuff, lot going on in my world at the moment.

Old 01-06-2023, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Although the Sniper throttle body is about .10" higher than the FAST, the design of the throttle arm/linkage and the placement of the fittings allows for an air cleaner base with a bigger drop. So now there's just enough clearance for a 3" filter.

This also means there's probably room for a functional Ram Air set up...the hood scoops are cut and grills installed already. Not really concerned about correctness (I wouldn't need heat risers, etc) but I think it would be cool to have a factory appearing functional RA.

The challenge is that the engine is set back 1.5" and so I'd have to modify the RA air cleaner assembly. I'm thinking I could move the holes for the boots forward by 1.5" but having never touched one of these air cleaners before, I'm not sure how easy it will be to fab something up. I don't mind buying a repop set-up, but they're too expensive to go into this blind. Thoughts on how this might go?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5547.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	604682  

Old 01-06-2023, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Took her out today for the first time. No major issues. My biggest concern was that the clutch might release too close to the floor but turns out that I was worried about nothing. It functioned perfectly, just like a new car. But what an absolute beast. Lots of little stuff to straighten out before she's roadworthy, but oh so very close now.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	First drive.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	604713  

Old 01-13-2023, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Haven't had much opportunity to work on the car this week. But I did find time to switch out the Hayes 2797 fan clutch with a 2731, which put the fan deeper into the shroud. The car would get a little hot while idling for extended periods of time before the change but now stays right at 185. I also played around with basic tuning parameters. I didn't anticipate the fun I'm having making changes on the handheld and seeing what happens. The car is running well, pretty close to where it needs to be, but needs to be driven. So far no leaks or funny noises. Brakes seem to work well as does the transmission. The 9" is noisy but I'm told this is normal.

Next three projects are (1) tidying up wiring under the dash, (b) installing a 76-79 style coolant recover tank and washer fluid tank, and (c) installing the rest of the interior. After that alignment and A/C charge.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I noticed that fuel pressure seems to bounce around more than it should while idling...it rapidly swings back and forth between 50 and 70psi. At first I thought it was a bad mechanical gauge, so I replaced it, but saw no change. The fluctuations don't seem to be creating any obvious drivability issues. In fact, had I not installed a gauge, I wouldn't have known. Though I do suspect the car would idle more smoothly and have more steady AFRs with stable fuel pressure. After a bit of research I learned that the most likely culprit is pulses created by the injectors opening and closing. They're a function of fuel system design, but apparently, Snipers in returnless systems are prone to having them. The recommended solution is a fuel pulse dampener. Some OEM cars come with them to address pulses that are not engineered out. I ordered an in-line version from Radium Engineering and hopefully will install this weekend. Fingers crossed.

Making progress on the interior. Cleaned up under dash wiring, installed LH kick panel, A pillar moldings, gauge bezel, and a few other odds and ends. The gauge bezel was a tight fit (thank you Just Dashes) and unfortunately it left a few small scratches in the dash pad. Really happy I went with the woodgrain bezel. Looks right at home in the Formula. I'll wait to finish the dash until I have the carpet installed...but to do that I have to finish with the Dynamat, foam, mass loaded vinyl.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5571.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	605452  

Old 01-18-2023, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its looking Wicked and going along Great !
I haven't managed to keep up with all of your updates , so I wanted to ask what required the engine to go back 1.5 inches ?

The only thing I see that might need adjusting is the color of the LED readout on the radio. Or maybe the dash lights could be changed to blue.

The dash instrumentation looks really close to factory stuff too.
They did a great job on those.

The RamAir set up would be over-the-top Wild.
But I would wait until after everything else was finished and de-bugged , then think about it later.

Helluva Car !

Old 01-19-2023, 12:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What kind of guage/speedo/odometer you got there?

Looks great...

Old 01-19-2023, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kingbuzzo, the gauges are Dakota Digital RTX for second gen Firebird. They fit right in the bezel and are easy to install (with supplied harnesses) and set-up (there's a controller switch, but even easier to connect your phone with Bluetooth and control set-up that way). Only 2 wires from the gauges to a small control box, to which you connect sensors, turn signals, power & ground, etc.

Thanks BVZ! I'm running a Detroit Speed subframe, which sets the engine back. Detroit Speed told me they did this to improve weight distribution, but the set-back is also needed for the oil pan to have a chance of clearing the steering rack. In fact, I had to modify the front of the oil pan to make it work. I tried spacers first, but I found that this resulted in bad driveline angles and potential problems with vibrations.

I haven't played with the radio much, but I do know there are lots of choices for the readout color so should be easy to match with the gauges.

Old 01-20-2023, 11:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Really nice...thx

Old 02-04-2023, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still trying to sort out the erratic fuel pressure. I'm a little frustrated with this issue, so took a break and turned my attention to the interior.

Finished with the Dynamat and installed the seats for the first time. I hadn't even opened the box of seat bracket and sliders from Wedge, so I was a little nervous about going down another rabbit hole. But they fit and function perfectly. The Recaro's look right at home in the car too...and they're real comfortable.

Also took her out for a short drive...thankfully no issues, but what a handful, and a bit noisy and raw still. If I have time tomorrow I'll lay down some sheets of foam and heavy vinyl on top of the Dynamat...that and the carpet should cut down the road noise quite a bit.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5722.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	606676  

Old 02-04-2023, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those seats look great in there!

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue