Old 01-05-2023, 12:27 PM

Default 1970 Firebird trunk lock cylinder guard?

duplicate post..........
greetings!........I was a member here 10+ years ago and have found my way back. I have a 70 Formula and recently had the trunk lock cylinder fall apart. I sourced a new one but I'm apparently missing the lock cylinder guard that holds the shaft in the cylinder. It came apart at a show and several people had there heads in the trunk as I had no tools. Not sure where it went. It seems that nobody has this part. It is clearly referenced in the Fisher "F" body supplement...........any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-05-2023, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The trunk lock bolts to studs on the inside of the rear panel. It has a shaft to go to the actual release mechanism.
Whats missing?

Old 01-05-2023, 03:35 PM

it appears to be the part that restrains the shaft in the lock cylinder.......I did not see it when it came apart. It is shown in the Fisher body book. The 70 shaft has a round head that mates with the lock cylinder but appears to simply sit inside the cylinder. Referenced on page 8-6 of the Fisher F body manual.

Old 01-07-2023, 02:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The shaft just sits in the lock mechanism in the trunk. The actual lock end ( where the key goes, and pictured below) has the shaft with a bend and a spring over the cylinder which puts the cylinder back at 12 o clock to get the key out.
Spring holds the rod in place and returns lock to original position
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk lock.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	604722  

Old 01-07-2023, 09:37 AM

I greatly appreciate your help on this. The shaft I have is the original and has a round end that the spring does not seem to retain..........maybe I will just purchase a lock cylinder with the hooked end on the rod. I'm thinking something is not right with the replacement cylinder. I have seen lock sets listed on ebay that claim 70-73 that have the hook end on the shaft. I have the original cylinder but the metal housing is broken. This should be simple but something is not right. Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-08-2023, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The round mushroom end of your shaft should slide into that slot in the metal in pic above that looks like a " V" The spring goes around the whole area and retains it loosely, and provides a return for the lock. Yours must be broke in this area?

Old 01-10-2023, 11:08 AM

I think the replacement cylinder I purchased will not retain the round head. I would prefer to use the original but from my poking around I have not seen a lock cylinder sold with the round head. I have seen the hooked shaft sold and advertised as the correct 1970 part which it is not at least for my early 1970 Van Nuys car. I have ordered just the hooked shaft hoping that will work with the replacement cylinder. At this point I'd simply like to have the trunk functional. Again thank you for taking the time to help!

Last edited by Capt Crunch; 01-10-2023 at 11:27 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt Crunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 06:05 PM

If anyone cares, I got the hooked shaft and it works with the replacement cylinder I was sold. If you have an original 70 trunk lock cylinder it appears that you will have to convert to the incorrect aftermarket replacement should it fail. I did find someone selling just the replacement shaft with the round head but no compatible lock cylinder. I'm not sure at this point what the "lock guard" referenced in the fisher body book even is..........

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt Crunch For This Useful Post: