Old 01-24-2023, 12:31 AM

Default 1964 Pontiac Lemans - Center Console Courtesy Light Not Working

Hello.
I had posted something similar in the past, but wanted to come back to this as I have ordered a few things.
First of all, the center console rear courtesy light is not working. The shift indicator light works with the new harness that I purchased but no such luck with the courtesy light. Researching and talking to other members on the forum, my center console currently doesn't have a front mounting bracket. I have ordered one from Inline. I have not received it yet. But was wondering if this along could solve my problem since the console isn't correctly grounded.

If this doesn't fix this issue, I was thinking of running a 16 or 18 gauge wire? from the dome light harness connector (in the truck, driver side, where its connected to the harness that goes back to the back lights, etc.. Any issues with splicing or using the dome light power from that harness and run a wire to the center console light socket for the rear courtesy light? So that it turns on when the doors open as the dome light does....

I know thats not original and running some extra wiring isn't always the best idea. But just want to get the darn thing working.

Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd check the wire to light to see if it has 12 volts to it?

I don't have a schematic for the console light so don't know how it is wired/grounded.
But the instrument lights have the ground at the brake pedal bracket.
So the front mount of the console could be the ground.
If there is power on the light wire, you could run a ground wire anywhere, even put a screw in the floor for a ground connection?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-24-2023, 09:30 AM

Thank you for the reply. When I get my parts I’ll keep your notes handy. I’m just not an electrical guy. I assume I can just get a test to make sure. I believe the white is hot to make sure it’s getting 12 volts. I believe the orange is the ground. I have the diagram I’ll have to find it and post it. Thanks again.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The orange is the power wire, the other white or natural is the ground.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-24-2023, 10:29 AM

ahhh ok...told you i know nothing.. lol

can i just get a tester to test if the white is hot / etc... ?

Old 01-24-2023, 11:40 AM
Senior Chief

The orange is hot all the time if the fuse is good. The white wire is the ground coming from door switches and probably headlight/dome light switch. Hence when you open a door or turn headlight swicth I belive to the left the white wire becomes the ground and lamps light up. A test light is a handy tool, and cheap.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

Old 01-24-2023, 11:46 AM

thanks for the info.
if i can't get it to work, any issues with piggy backing off of the dome light wires/harness and run the 2 wires down to the courtesy light?

Old 01-25-2023, 12:22 PM
Senior Chief

First thing to do is to see if orange wire is hot. Test from a good ground to the orange wire. If it is not, check fuse, if fuse is good follow orange wire back from console. It might go thru several connections back to fuse. Do your other dome lights work? If orange wire is hot at console I would start checking white wire that delivers a ground when ether door is open or dome light function on headlight switch is operated. If your other dome lights work you need to identfy which wire is failing. Then you can focus on the one to find that failed. Good luck and keep trying.

Old 01-25-2023, 03:14 PM

thank you.

yes the main dome light works when opening the doors.
honestly, I'll have to check this weekend, but i do not believe i have any other lights besides the center console light. there are none under the dash..

the power to the console seems to be working because the shift indicator bulb works. unless thats on a different hot wire.

Old 01-25-2023, 05:24 PM

Default You need to ground the console

Your shift indicator light should work off your light switch on the dash panel, meaning it comes on at night with all other indicator lights. If its on all the time something is wired wrong. Going from memory the console has a (4) four pin connector with gray /black wire to your shifter that will come on with running lights. Than there should be 2 orange wires, 1 orange wire to the console glove box and the other orange wire along with a white wire to the courtesy light behind the console. This circuit is looking for a ground from the bracket that you don’t have installed yet. That bracket is fastened to the transmission tunnel and once you secure the metal console to the bracket you will complete the ground and the light will come on when you open your car door and will also work off the dimmer switch when turned all the way to the right. You can jumper the metal console top to a good ground under the dash and it should work.

Old 01-25-2023, 07:55 PM

thanks again for the info.
yes - sounds like the mounting bracket will fix this issue (hopefully)
i may have misspoke on the shift indicator, but every light in the car works as it should. just this darn console courtesy light. i will keep you posted.

Old 01-26-2023, 11:51 AM
Senior Chief

Installing the front bracket will not hurt anything but will not cure your probelm if wiring is as it left factory.

Old 01-26-2023, 11:57 AM
Senior Chief

Default wiring diagram

https://www.opgi.com/product/image/O...or-g242061.jpg

Old 01-27-2023, 12:14 PM

Thank you for the diagram. I will be checking this out ..hopefully this weekend.
Thanks again.

Old 01-28-2023, 12:49 AM

I checked the bulb with a tester. that passed
I checked for power to the bulb socket. Nothing. no power.
so i decided to check the center console harness itself ...so I tested the orange wire from the front of the console ..harness..to the bulb socket for continuity... that passed...

so I started following the orange wire under the dash. theres a harness if you will...under the dash to the front of the console. well there are no wires plugged into the harness under the dash for the orange and white wires.
So now I need to trace those 2 wires back another step to see whats going on and what is missing.
I can't tell from looking at the diagram, if those 2 (orange and white) are going to the fuse box area or to the front of the firewall possibly...?

Old 01-28-2023, 11:51 AM
Senior Chief

I'm helping a freind with a 65 conv. We have the whole harness laid out on a table. I did my 66 & 67 recently. I'm not at the table now, but I think there is a short harness from the front area of the console that goes to a connector by the steering column connector, I believe it had 4 wires in it. Not sure when going back, I can take pictures when I do.

Old 01-28-2023, 03:26 PM

thanks for the reply.

looking at the diagram, it appears that the orange and white wires from the harness under the steering column / by the brake pedal go back to the harness under the back seat (driver side). Is this correct.

I attached a mock up drawing I did regarding the wiring diagram.
Between the neutral safety switch, the backup lights, the shift indicator light and the rear console courtesy lights, there are 7 wires going into the harness under the steering column. There are only 5 coming out. Orange and white are missing. Where is the power of the orange originating from so i can run a wire from the correct power source. Again, looking at the diagram, it looks like it comes from the back seat harness. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64 Pont Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	606202   Click image for larger version

Name:	mockup.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	606204  

Old 01-29-2023, 11:42 AM
Senior Chief

You are correct with additional wires. I think I'm going out to help with wiring today. I'll check and let you know.

Old 01-29-2023, 08:35 PM

Can I run a wire (orange to orange) and (white to white) from the dome light harness to the under the dash harness without causing issues or overload / fire concerns. I understand these bulbs don't use alot of amps, but just want to make sure. Please see attachment of what I was thinking.

Current dome light works great with the doors opening and closing as well as turning the instrument dial. I have no other courtesy lights except for the center console one that I'm trying to wire up.

Let me know your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	under the dash harness.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	606313  

Old 01-30-2023, 01:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes