THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-26-2023, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Interesting non-Pontiac engine going on the dyno next week.

Wasn't sure where to post this but I thought some of the "engine guys" might have a little interest in this one. Mods: feel free to move or remove if it doesn't belong here. Engine going on the dyno is a Studebaker V-8, a 289 Cu In engine. Belongs to one of my students. OE iron heads, some port work done. Up graded connecting rods. (pinch bolt small end removed to full floating) Paxton supercharger removed and upgraded to a Vortech supercharger. Carburetor replaced with Fitech EFI. Point ignition replaced with a full electronic ignition system. Should be interesting. I post this because much like our beloved Pontiacs, this is a "legacy engine". A very solid engine design with many good features. A nice block structure, good head design with fully machined combustion chambers, lots of head bolts, solid, strong lifter area. One downfall, IMO, is it was too small for the cars of the day. A 289 was the "big" Studebaker V-8! It needed another 100-125 Cu Inches to be a real player in the day. That's the reason they factory supercharged it. Should be a fun dyno session. (s) These Studebaker guys are just as dedicated to their engine as the Pontiac guys and flathead guys.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

interesting. did studebaker do anything special for a head gasket on those? factory vs new boost level? any hp expatations?

Old 01-26-2023, 10:25 AM

What model car (or truck) will the engine go into?
I've always been fascinated by the Lark Daytona - a compact car that was available with the supercharged engine and a four speed transmission.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

He had a pair of Cometics made for this engine. Very dedicated. I don't want to speculate HP and torque because this project is pretty unusual. We are going to start and break it in with a carburetor and no boost. Then swap intakes, and run the EFI and boost. Supercharger is capable of around 17 lbs. of boost according to owner. Factory Paxton supercharger around 6 PSI blowing through a small carburetor. This stuff is really fun for me. Nail biter for the owner. He has hundreds of hours in the package.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 10:34 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up

Post some video! Looks like a fun project.

I remember the supercharged Study Golden Hawks and Avantis from back in the day. They were rare, but occasionally showed up at the drags.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 01-26-2023, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
What model car (or truck) will the engine go into?
I've always been fascinated by the Lark Daytona - a compact car that was available with the supercharged engine and a four speed transmission.
I will find out and let you know. I have 2 guys with Studebakers in the class. They probably have 8-10 cars/trucks between them. I am guessing an Avanti for this one but not sure. One of the guys just finished what they call the "big 6". Inline 6 going in a 30's model called the "Dictator". He also has a factory supercharged Lark Sport Wagon with the sliding roof. It is a very neat car.

Old 01-26-2023, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Post some video! Looks like a fun project.

I remember the supercharged Study Golden Hawks and Avantis from back in the day. They were rare, but occasionally showed up at the drags.
I will take some video when it's up and running. I will need some help from the "tech gurus" on here posting it. I have never been able to post video to the forum.

Old 01-26-2023, 11:16 AM
Senior Chief

This is the type of stuff that gets my interest. A different and very seldom seen engine . Love the angle on making it perform . Definitely following this thread …

The Following User Says Thank You to Torquewar For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I will take some video when it's up and running. I will need some help from the "tech gurus" on here posting it. I have never been able to post video to the forum.
A YouTube video with a link is the way to go. Sounds cool, I love “different” stuff.

Old 01-26-2023, 12:50 PM
Senior Chief

Very interesting thanks for sharing. Looking for the video. I never got too involved with Studebaker some cool-looking cars....I always thought they used the Ford 289 in them!

Jim

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Old 01-26-2023, 01:08 PM
Boost Engineer

Many years ago I helped a Studebaker Racer, Ted Harbit.
Ted H competed in the Pure Stock Drags each year)

He wanted to do a Turbo Blow thru carb set-up for the "Chicken hawk"

Unfortunately Chicken hawk crashed and was totaled. Ted survived.

Info on the car here. First I have heard of a Vortech Supercharged Studebaker.

Info on Ted's Chicken Hawk: http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/144/

Twin Turbo with Blow-Thru Carbs. Before the crash the car could run 10.0 in the quarter.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is " Static" CR on this engine? Sound like a real eye opener!

Old 01-26-2023, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I will find out and let you know. I have 2 guys with Studebakers in the class. They probably have 8-10 cars/trucks between them. I am guessing an Avanti for this one but not sure. One of the guys just finished what they call the "big 6". Inline 6 going in a 30's model called the "Dictator". He also has a factory supercharged Lark Sport Wagon with the sliding roof. It is a very neat car.
I know a local guy who has a supercharged Avanti. Those wagons with the sliding roof are very cool. When I was a kid I had a Matchbox toy one.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Wasn't sure where to post this but I thought some of the "engine guys" might have a little interest in this one. Mods: feel free to move or remove if it doesn't belong here. Engine going on the dyno is a Studebaker V-8, a 289 Cu In engine. Belongs to one of my students. OE iron heads, some port work done. Up graded connecting rods. (pinch bolt small end removed to full floating) Paxton supercharger removed and upgraded to a Vortech supercharger. Carburetor replaced with Fitech EFI. Point ignition replaced with a full electronic ignition system. Should be interesting. I post this because much like our beloved Pontiacs, this is a "legacy engine". A very solid engine design with many good features. A nice block structure, good head design with fully machined combustion chambers, lots of head bolts, solid, strong lifter area. One downfall, IMO, is it was too small for the cars of the day. A 289 was the "big" Studebaker V-8! It needed another 100-125 Cu Inches to be a real player in the day. That's the reason they factory supercharged it. Should be a fun dyno session. (s) These Studebaker guys are just as dedicated to their engine as the Pontiac guys and flathead guys.
Mike, back in the day the Studebaker supercharged 289 was one of the first domestic V-8 engines to break the 1 hp per cubic inch mark. Ak Miller drove one to several world records on the Bonneville salt flats. Not bad for the boys from South Bend! The Studebaker 289 was always known for being an extremely reliable engine. Can’t wait to see how this one does on the dyno.,

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-26-2023, 03:43 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Ted's Studebaker (with the belt driven parts was allowed 9.0 to 1).

I believe that the Twin Turbo engine that was crashed was no more than
8.75 to one with his higher boost pressure, but memory says it was 8.5 to 1.

Tom V.

Agree the engines were very well built engines.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
I will ask him Monday when the class meets again. This was a long term project because of COVID. He did the short block right before the shut downs in 2019. Then had to take a year off because he was very ill with the virus. In 2022, he couldn't get back in the class because it was full of tuition/degree seeking students. (Seniors can take the classes for free). So glad he is back in and looking forward to running it. I will interview him on specific details and post a little list next week. Cool that there is some interest in it.

Old 01-26-2023, 07:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
When Studebaker and Packard merged in 1956, Stude got the Packard 352 V8. 56 Golden Hawks got them, among others.

Old 01-26-2023, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is an R2 motor on my stand at the moment too! The plan is to dyno it for grins as well.
Curious what you did for rods. Mine has an "R2+" cam, the Isky grind.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
The Following User Says Thank You to 694.1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And to think it all started in 1858 when Wheelbarrow Johnny went west in search of gold and then went from building wheelbarrows to carriages back home in South Bend, then to building cars. Great story as told on Death Valley Days of John M. Studebaker and his most unusual life.

69 Bird w/1970 400 block(409 cubes), #64 heads, hyd. roller, Q-jet by Jeff E., original interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, street driven muscle. 3800 lbs. race weight. Best, 11.39 @118, my son's car.

79 T/A w/463, Scat crank, Eagle rods, Icon pistons, Lunati solid roller, 262/270, KRE 325 heads,Northwind intake, QF950 carb, full interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, 3650 lbs. race weight. 10.72 @ 126 so far... no tuning yet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prostreet64 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 03:38 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Inline 6 going in a 30's model called the "Dictator". .
The Fuhrer model name never made it to production.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post: