Old 03-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Legendary 70 Comfort Weave Seat Cover Question

I just received my Legendary seat covers for my 70 Judge yesterday & installed the rear covers today. I decided to recover some extra frames I had so I was able to keep the originals as a guide.
Overall I'm happy with the quality & look of the Legendary covers however I noticed the repro seat back's horizontial stitching in the comfort weave insert is 3 1/2" higher than the original seat back stitching.
The front buckets repro's are identical to my originals.

My original stitching is 11 1/2" from the top & 17 1/4" from the bottom (measured on the outer side next to the strap).

The Legendary measures 8" from the top & 21" from the bottom in the same location.

I wondered if another 70 owner had an original rear seat out of their car that they could double check the measurements for me.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunglasses 284.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	84363  

Old 03-03-2007, 01:35 AM

Steve I can't get at my original 70 seats right now but I did look at a photo I have of them and the stitching on mine matches your original on the right. I would email that pic to Legendary and see what the have to say. I am surprised to see that as I was talking to a couple Legendary guys last spring and they were going to great lengths to make these covers correct. In fact they still may not have the green available (that I need) yet as the color samples have been incorrect.
FWIW I saw a pair of 70 bucket seats Legendary had with the new black covers on and they looked pretty good. However I didn't see them side by side with an original. No they are not perfect but very good for the price.

Steve is the same horizontal stitching in the rear seat bottom match your original? If so then the top and bottom once installed in the car may not look right because according to my picture that stitching is about the same distance from the front of the seat bottom as it is to the top of the seat back, give or take a bit, as is that same stitching on the front buckets.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dar,
The seat bottom stitching matches my original as does the buckets seat back & bottom. It looks like the rear seat back was just mis-measured when they sewed the horizontal line but I wanted to compare this to a few other oiginals before I say it's wrong.

With the exception of the simulated C/W these are a very nice cover.
I purchased these thru our host here & I'm sure I'll have to go thru them to figure this out with Legendary.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So Im guessing that they havent solved the correct knit weave problem yet?
How much is NOS comfortweave worth?

Old 03-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My '70 hardtop measured 11 1/2" from the back edge of the seat top to the stitch.

-Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010322.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	84399  

Old 03-03-2007, 01:39 PM

Cammer-6 its a simulated comfort weave and thats why I say they are not perfect. I priced out real comfort weave and vinyl etc, then talked to a couple people that I would trust to make me new covers. All in all I would be into these covers for about $2000 give or take. Other's results may vary.

If I spent that recovering these seats I wouldn't want anybody sitting in them. I'm restoring my Judge to drive, have fun with and take on road trips, it's just a car. The legendary covers are what, maybe $500 for a complete set. To me thats a huge difference in price, especially for a car that won't be concours correct anyway.

I put the repop seat covers in my 701/2 T/A in 1999 and have no regrets. They still look like new and are very comfortable for 1970 seats.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

slowgto,
Thanks for measuring yours. I was confident my originals were, well, original & before I called to complain I wanted to make sure mine hadn't been changed/modified.

I had picked up some NOS comfort weave material also but I got about the same quotes Dar did for recovering.
The simulated c/w looks good until you get right up on it & you don't see the perferations in the material like the original. I suppose it's a little hotter sitting on the simulated c/w since it doesn't breath like the original.

I figured seats are pretty easy to change out & I'll keep the original seats stored incase someone comes up with a more correct c/w, then I can recover and install the originals. Until then, the Legendary covers will work fine for me.

Thanks again!

Old 03-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Update ~ Legendary

I spoke with Ron in the tech dept of Legendary the other day & he confirmed there was an error in the rear seat back stitchings' location & they are correcting it. He's also sending out a replacement cover to me.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's great to hear Steve. Glad they are recognizing it as a problem and correcting it.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:08 AM

Dar, if you send the NOS Comfortweave to us we can make an interior for you for far less than $2,000. We would do them for our normal cost less materials cost. Please give our Sales Department a call if you are interested. 18003638804. Thanks, Eric @ Legendary Auto Interiors, Ltd.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:13 AM

Just a quick note to anyone who has purchased a 1970 GTO rear seat cover from us, we did have a couple seat covers go out with incorrect stitching. The patterns are correct but, they were stitched improperly. Please feel free to contact us and we will get it corrected for you. Also, thank you Steve for posting this information so we could get the problem corrected. We really appreciate your help. Eric DeTaeye @ Legendary Auto Interiors, Ltd.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Senior Chief

I am sending NOS comfortweave to Legendary this weekend. The samples for everything else was right on. I will post pictures of the end results. The comfort weave cost me $95.00 per yard plus shipping, you need three yards for a 71. Call Legendary for a quote to use your material, but I can tell you I will be into my seats for about $1,000 when it is all said and done. Can't wait and I can't believe I am excited about having correct seat covers for my car.