Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anybody into VW Beetles?

The old ones I mean...I just bought this one.
Runs good, drives good, I just need someplace to shop for information, parts, sheetmetal, etc.
Right now, I need the driver's window regulator, crank handles, wiper motor, sheetmetal for the rear luggage compartment/package tray.
Plus, I have a bit to learn about them in general. I had one years ago but I didn't have it long and it was a lot newer then than it is now..lol
Basically, I need a V-dub site like this one is for Pontiacs.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 05-31-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:49 AM
Suspended

New spare parts are available from Latin America. Stay away from safety-related items from there, though.
I used to work at a wrecking garage for VWs, in Clawson Michigan. I don't know if they're still in business

Old 05-31-2008, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks PA. I've been searching around and found a pretty good looking source of parts here... http://www.mamotorworks.com/

Old 05-31-2008, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think http://www.thesamba.com/ is the biggest classic VW forum out there.

That's not a bad looking Beetle you got there. I used to have a '71 myself, it was a total heap but it made for a good winter beater (as long as you didn't mind having no heat. )

Old 05-31-2008, 08:38 AM

Ditto on the Samba, lots of info there. Look into http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/ and http://www.bfyobsoleteparts.com/home.php for parts. My son bought a 63 Bug last year http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...778&highlight= and we are learning as we go also.

I understand that if you are going to buy sheetmetal, stay away from JC Whitney as most of their stuff is Chinese. Try to get German parts first, the go with Brazilian.

Good luck! Car looks like a good deal.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a bad deal at all Greg. A bit of rust but a great price. At least it's not a total rust bucket. I've seen them go for over triple that lately. 68 was a good year, and you won't have all the pollution crap on it like the newer ones do.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:48 PM
Suspended

If you get hold of an engine equipped with Bosch mechanical fuel injection, there will be a minimum of emmission control gadgets, if at all

Old 05-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

bamaslama?

I had a 72 Super Beetle as my transportation back in 83 and 84. I sold it for $1500 to a friend of mine in early 85. He still has it. Great car. It would go about 90mph on the freeway or take you trail riding. It is possible to have sex in the back seat, just in case you might be wondering. I had a book named something like " The Complete Idiots Guide to VW Repair". That book saw me through a clutch change among other small repairs.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found the book on eBay.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Re...ayphotohosting

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

I have that same book David, it's very good.

My first car was a 71 Super beetle, in 77. Then a Mint 67 and a 74 with a semi automatic. All were great cars, and every bug has a personality and needs a name...

Good score Greg.

Side note, if you remove the drivers door handle (outside) the key code is stamped on it. (IF it hasn't been changed over the years)

Old 05-31-2008, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys. You've given me a good start on learning what I need to know.
The rust isn't as bad as it looks in the pic...Except the package tray. I've already found one of those that is Brazilian made.
The engine runs good and the body is very quiet and solid...Like most bugs are known for. The engine was supposedly overhauled about 7K miles ago. It is a little oil soaked underneath but we'll see how she holds up.
David, That book is still in print...I saw it earlier for sale on the site I linked to. Must be pretty good. I have that old one bookmarked. Lots of used parts on eBay and not very expensive nor are there many bidders for most of them.
Re: bamaslamma....Oops...I didn't mean for that to slip out here...lol It was one of those spur the moment handles that I tried after my first two or three were already taken.
The "trunk" (Or whatever you call it??) is stuck shut now. I have no ideas at the moment on how to get it unlatched. I had it open last night. I guess I shut it too well.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Engle 110 cam is the largest you can stuff in the block without flycutting the block at the lifter bore for a higher lift cam, real good street / strip cam. A good exhaust & some swivel foot rockers should do it.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put a Kadron header on mine. Sweet sound. I'm sure it added 200 hp.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

Thought this was interesting. According to the advice given in the link below, you can get a Beetle to dip into the 11-13 second times with some work to it's motor.
http://www.car-forums.com/s16/t15673.html

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 05-31-2008, 06:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

I remember way back, around 1978 or so, there was a Bug in a magazine that ran 10's or 11's. He said at the launch the car would jump straight up, he'd shift to 2nd and go. LOL!

I always wanted to put a 6cyl Porsche motor in my bug and bobtail it. There was a TV show in the early 80's where the female detective drove one just like it.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:09 PM

That looks like a good car. When you get hooked on vw's and decide you want a bus let me know. I'll make you a deal on one that needs a drive train but is pretty complete otherwise.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-31-2008, 06:20 PM

Back in '77 my daily driver was a '57 Bug, I was 17 at the time.

It had a 1756cc engine (90mm aftermarket big-bore kit X 69 mm stock 1300/1500/1600 crank) that I built with home-ported dual-port heads (stock 35.5 & 32mm valves). Ran the Engle 110 cam (284 adv. duration/.430" lift) and a pair 40DCNF Weber 2-barrels. Probably made about 1HP/cube at 107 cubes. It rewarded me with 14.30s in the 1/4 mile at 92 MPH. P

A year later I built it up a bit more with a 92mm bore (1835ccs or 112 cubes) and did a little more intake porting on the heads (raised the roofs a bit more) and went to a pair of 48IDA Weber 2-barrels. Upgraded to the Engle 130 cam (308 duration, .460" lift, no flycutting mods to the lifter bores necessary). Ran 13.70s at 97 MPH, I'm guessing it made close to 130 HP. Did plenty of street racing back then and won my share against the stock muscle cars that were still running around.

They can run pretty quick, but any time you put a good-sized cam in an air-cooled VW four-banger they idle rough unless you're running twin carbs. If you keep the stock carb or for that matter any single carb they don't run all that smoothly when you add a decent cam. Better fuel economy and smoother running/idling can be had with dual carbs (especially twin 2-barrels), believe it or not. They will idle smoother and at a lower RPM than stock with a big cam and big dual carbs, individual-runner induction (one carb barrel feeding only one cylinder) is the key.

They are not cheap to build up. Unless you're willing to do all the little tricks to make them run and live at the higher HP levels, keep that engine 100% stock.

Nice looking '68 Greg. In 1968 the Bug sold more units in the USA than any other year of production.

I still own a nice '66 Type II 1-ton pickup, I haven't had it out of my garage in over a decade. But now with the price of gas as high as it is, it will come out after getting a little transmission work and replace my old '70 Chevy 3/4-ton pickup for hauling stuff around town (Chevy = 9 MPG, VW = 19 MPG).

Old 05-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, this one definitely needs some work. Minor stuff but a lot of it. Carb is seems to be loading up at idle. Little oil leaks on the driveway after extended idling and stuff like that. Has quite a bit of pep though.
I'm wondering what I was thinking buying another project car with two GTOs already in the stable but I've always had a soft spot for the late '60s bugs. We'll see where it goes from here. It's so different than what I'm used to. I feel kinda lost with it.
Been checking the Samba site out. Lots of good info there.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 05-31-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:01 AM
Suspended

Default Couldn't help but post this:

The gear ruduction boxes were the weak spot:( :

The last good VW bus, before the Vanagon was introduced:

These were extremely solid, but unpleasant to rebuild. The sheetmetal was complicated to replace. One had to pay close attention:

Here, Neanderthals ruin a split window bug:

http://www.dailymotion.com/cluster/a...art-3?from=rss

Last edited by Primitive Artist; 06-01-2008 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I really like the squarebacks. I was watching one pretty hard but it was just too far away...With the cost of shipping now, it would have added nearly a grand to the price. Probably was a lot better car than the one I have now though and in the long run needed less restoration.