Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Lamnas View Post
Yep......rider error when a brand-new bike breaks on the first ride...rider error when the bike needs 3 batteries in three years.....

It's the rider's fault......yep
first ride out.....dumb luck i suppose, which type battery? reason i ask is mine did need a new battery when i bought it and i tried to cheap out with a walmart battery which didnt work out so well during the winter when it sat for longer periods, at the same time my dad bought a totaled ultra classic for parts when he wrecked his 89 ul that had a harley battery he that thought he would hang onto for a spare, after 3 years of not needing it he took it off the shelf and thrue it the lawnmower, still had a charge enuff start the mower

Old 04-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default I really like this bike!

2003 V Star Classic - just something about the way it looks.

I hope they ride as nice as they look.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2003 V Star 1100.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	204163  

Last edited by gman26; 04-22-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Lyons View Post
I bought a 06 1100 V-Star Classic new. I put 36K miles on that bike until I traded it in on a 05 Electra Glide in Nov of 08. That 1100 did everything I ever asked it to do. I wore out the first back tire and put a car tire on it. I got 26K miles out of the car tire. The reason I traded for the Electra Glide was I wanted to do longer trips in more comfort. I rode the 1100 for 17 hours straight in 30* weather in Nov of 08. It kicked my ass. The next week I bought the Electra Glide. You can't compare the 2 bikes. 2 different animals.

The 1100 would run circles around the glide in handeling and speed up to 90 mph.

I was looking to put a big bore kit in my 05. My wife saw a 2010 Ultra Limited sitting on the show room floor. 103 cu inch engine. She said instead of doing all the work to my 05 just buy a new one. I picked it up 4 weeks ago on Sat. I have 1800 miles on it so far. We're leaving tommorow morning for Lake Erie. 650 mile round trip. We'll be back home on Sat afternoon.

June of 2011 I'm heading for Alaska. 30 days and 10K miles. I want to do this trip before I turn 50.

Get the 1100. You won't be sorry.

Bud,my boss is doing the Alaska trip this July.The route that he is doing is 15k miles from CT.He just picked up an `08 Ultra for the trip instead of taking his `00 Road King,which has had zero issues.Hope the new bike is trouble free for his trip;it gets expensive out in the middle of nowhere for a tow.

Ride safe!
Mark.

Ken French Built Chassis

Carlquist Competition Engines IA2 505
Competition CNC Ported Super Chiefs
CCE Ported Gustram
Twin Dominators from Shaker 455
963 HP

`09 Electra Glide Standard.

`03 F-350 7.3 6-speed 4x4 Crew Cab Dually.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman26 View Post

I like it!That seat looks ultra comfy.

Mark.

Ken French Built Chassis

Carlquist Competition Engines IA2 505
Competition CNC Ported Super Chiefs
CCE Ported Gustram
Twin Dominators from Shaker 455
963 HP

`09 Electra Glide Standard.

`03 F-350 7.3 6-speed 4x4 Crew Cab Dually.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have all different types of bikes and have owned many different brands. I sold my V-star 1100 custom because it wasnt comfortable to me and I never wanted to ride it. I barely put 2500 miles and it had one recall and broke down once. I have crotch rocket- Yamaha FZ6, 08' Honda Shadow my G/F rides, XR650L for dual sport rides, WXE610 Husky (street riden dirt bike) and my 08 Road Glide. I traded a new Night train for the Road glide. Best thing I ever did was buy the Road Glide, its comfortable, smooth and way ahead of the plastic built V-star. I lost more money selling the v-star than I did the night train. ANY bike with drag bars and a stock seat wont be fun to ride over 100 miles. I'm 6' and 260lbs, the v-star custom didnt fit. But the V-star classic was a completely different feeling bike. Just make sure you buy something that fits you and your size.
If you end up not liking the v-star you'll lose more trying to get rid of it. Its worth the moeny to rent or borrow a bike for a day ride. Dont expect to get the true feeling of a bike until you've riden it. All new bikes feel good sitting on the show room. If they wont let you ride it go to another dealer or find a friend that will let you ride.

Its funny how different people treat you when have as many types of bikes as I have. I can get on the road glide and people stare and wave if they have a Harley shirt or they are on a harley. BUT, those smart ass crotch rocket guys wont even look my way. If I'm on the Honda Shadow Harley guys wont wave. IF I'm on my XR650L or my Husky NO- ONE waves. Everyone have that "WTF are you riding" look. If I'm riding the Yamaha only the smart ass crocket guys waves. I wave at everyone because I like seeing other people enjoying the ride.

Petty stuff- Just ride and enjoy yourself.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There is no way any of the bikes mentioned in this thread are "apples to apples". Do people who ride Harleys look down on people who ride metrics? Some do. Works both ways! When I was in the market I was torn between Harley and Triumph. I ended up with the Harley and never looked back. There is lots of "hatin" in both corners just make sure it is your decision in the end.
\
Shawn

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."
Old 04-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Do people who ride Harleys look down on people who ride metrics?"

Not where I'm from, lots of folks in our "group" ride V-Stars and Goldwings, etc. There's always a Dairy Queen close by so they they can get a cold soda when we stop at a biker bar for some adult beverages!.....LOL.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 04-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
"we stop at a biker bar for some adult beverages!.....Cliff
soo,thats why most dont wave
theyre too drunk to maintain control of their bike with one hand...

Old 04-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytnyt View Post
soo,thats why most dont wave
theyre too drunk to maintain control of their bike with one hand...
No. Because they spent the weekend sleeping in their own puke in detox. Their bike got dented up in impound and their looking at a $2,000 fine and loss of their licence for two years for the DWI.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
No. Because they spent the weekend sleeping in their own puke in detox. Their bike got dented up in impound and their looking at a $2,000 fine and loss of their licence for two years for the DWI.
sooo,,,theyre just too pizzed to wave
ahhh,i see

Old 04-26-2010, 01:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_poncho View Post

Best thing I ever did was buy the Road Glide, its comfortable, smooth and way ahead of the plastic built V-star.

I lost more money selling the v-star than I did the night train.
If you end up not liking the v-star you'll lose more trying to get rid of it.
Curious why the V Star is plastic - can you elaborate?

So the Harley is an investment, I should be able to get what I pay for it, if I decide to sell in a year or so?

My initial thought was to get the V Star because of the price, I could probably buy a V-Star for around 4K vs 10-12K for the Harley. Probably a good idea to ride both.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Bud Lyons

My ex-G/F had an 08 1100 custom. The stock seat sucked! She put on a Mustang seat and that made all the difference. She was right beside me the whole time on the freezing 17 hour trip.

You'll probably have to change the grips to a pair of Kuryakn to keep your hands from going numb.

Only two defining forces have ever offered their life for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
One for your soul; the other for your freedom
Old 04-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman26 View Post

A friend of mine has this same model Yamaha V-star 1100 and he has been very pleased with it - no issues or problems of any kind. I've ridden it a few times and the Honda ACE 1100 he had before and found them both to be a nice ride (I liked the Yamaha better than the Honda though), but they suffered from a serious lack of power (although the only thing I have to compare it to is my V-max... which is in a completely different category power-wise and really isn't a fair comparison ).

Regarding cost, at $3-$4K most of the depreciation is already accounted for and I really can't see you losing more than a few hundred bucks if you decided that you wanted something else next year.

As for the Harley vs metric BS, because my friend and I ride Yamaha and the rest of our group rides H-D you better believe we take a LOT of crap for it - most of which is just guys ragging on each other in "good fun" and we give it right back to them and then some.

I say buy the Yamaha and ENJOY!

Scott

'70 Lemans Sport - Upgrades: HEI, console, dual-gate shifter, tilt steering, formula wheel, dual exhaust, dash clock, stock 4v intake, Q-jet, dual snorkel air cleaner, GTO hood, hood tach, GTO spoiler, chrome Rally II's and sport stripe.

'09 Yamaha Vmax

'94 GMC Sierra GT
Old 04-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

"(although the only thing I have to compare it to is my V-max... which is in a completely different category power-wise and really isn't a fair comparison )."

I have found that most V Max riders are a bit on the crazy side!

Shawn

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."
Old 04-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn e. View Post

I have found that most V Max riders are a bit on the crazy side!

Shawn
I blame it on the bike... I swear I'm as "normal" as the next guy until I mount up and switch into "V-max pilot" mode.

Scott

'70 Lemans Sport - Upgrades: HEI, console, dual-gate shifter, tilt steering, formula wheel, dual exhaust, dash clock, stock 4v intake, Q-jet, dual snorkel air cleaner, GTO hood, hood tach, GTO spoiler, chrome Rally II's and sport stripe.

'09 Yamaha Vmax

'94 GMC Sierra GT
Old 05-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Had to share, funny video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izzlN...layer_embedded

Old 05-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Coming from a long-time Harley family, I'm more biased for Harleys. I won't knock a V-star though, I do think they look good. Personally if I couldn't get a Harley, I'd get a Triumph Bonneville America, but the Harley I want is a Dyna Wide Glide or equivalent Dyna, so the Bonneville America is comparable I think. If you want something bigger than that, the Thunderbird is freaking nice. There's a Triumph dealership down the street from me and they have a lot of good stuff.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No one has mentioned the harley V-rod what about that??

Old 05-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacpetey View Post
No one has mentioned the harley V-rod what about that??
The V-rod isn't the same style of bike as the V-star.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Senior Chief

I think there all pretty nice looking bikes. But my neighbor has a Honda Valkrie with some sort of pipes and a cam in and I dont know what else done to it and this things pretty different almost like a drag car. He rides it 3 or 4 times a week in the summer. 1 question I like to ask these hard core metric hater harley guys is "would you ever fly on a Harley Davidson airplane"? Funny looks they give you.