Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default WOW ! Pit bulls and insurance

My buddy got dropped from state farm ( no surprise ). He went to get new homeowners insurance and because he owns a pit he is essentially uninsurable. He would have to get and expensive rider. I get it. I know pits can be a problem. I sincerely doubt he is in that category but is suffering anyway. What gives ? Is there any way around this short of insurance fraud or euthanasia ? Is it a bluff from the insurance company and maybe he can prove it's not a pure bred pit or is he just screwed ? I would hate to see him ditch the dog but for what it would cost him I don't blame him at all.......

Old 09-13-2010, 09:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Insurance is all about the risk. Pit Bull's aren't worth the chance, from a business standpoint.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know someone with the same problem. She has a pitbull terrier and she asked the vet about the whole new insurance on pitbulls and he told her to just tell them its a terrier mix. So they put it on her homeowners insurance

Old 09-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

nationwide wants to come out and do a visual. she looks like a pit but is a mix. wonder if a breed test would help ? look i get it,,,would never own a pit....mines a gsp/weim mix !

Old 09-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I also have a pitbull terrier, shes a rescue dog that was left at the pound. she was nothing but skin and bones and her hair was missing. Shes fully recovered and she was rehabed and fostered in a home with kids. She loves to lick and play just like any other dog. shes great to have just like another kid in the house. I think they got a bad name from the people fighting these dog illegally and raising them to be mean. btw she also helps when working on the pontiac she gets the tools lol

Old 09-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have rotts, and nationwide ins, they won't cover if they know I have them. That sucks, cause the three we've had have been big babies.

400 .060 Eagle Rods
Old 09-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i have to disagree
its in pit bulls bloodline to have the ''potential'' to be aggressive,even if its only once in a while.
people make them mean because its in their nature more so than other breeds
their an accident looking for an opportunity to happen

Old 09-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually the Golden Retriever is responsible for more attacks than any other breed.
The pit does more damage because of the jaw strength.
There are no bad dogs. Just bad owners.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The two Pits I owned were spayed females and were sweet as could be. They are VERY destructive dogs though. When I told my insurance company I had a Pit and a Doberman they had a fit, but I convinced them they were both very nice dogs that did not show aggression, which was true.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 09-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

well bad owners are the problem too but also if anyone remembers the rot was a big threat amd everyone thought of them as bad dogs then it was the doberman pincher then the german sheppard and now its the pitbull all dogs are agressive its in their nature. it just depends on the owner and how their raised.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:03 AM
Suspended

its not the insurance company its the state that did it to the dog http://www.statefarm.com/aboutus/com...ty/protect.asp
I wondered about this as I have staffies ( often mistaken for pitbulls) I agree its not the dog its the owner , as in our condo association we had a dog bite incident with a renter , and there insurance company wouldn't cover it so now its going to court , even though 2 witnesses( not related to the pet owners) saw the kid antaganizing the dog , they make it out to be the dogs fault . type of dog a german shepard . Illinois has the 2 time rule . so the dog will live , but the people whos kid got bit want the renters out , as president of the HOA and a dog owner I think they should put down the kid .

Old 09-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

People don't know chit about the Pit Bull breed. Just another example of the liberal media having their influence.

Pitbull's are the only dog that was specifically breed to have and show no aggression toward people.

Anyone that has been around larger "high performance" dogs... and there are a lot of them know - it isn’t the dog, but rather the owners, breeding, etc. Not the breed itself.

Last edited by triathlonx13; 09-14-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wait until your insurance goes up because you own a hunting rifle...

Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"i have to disagree, its in pit bulls bloodline to have the ''potential'' to be aggressive,even if its only once in a while.
people make them mean because its in their nature more so than other breeds
their an accident looking for an opportunity to happen"

+1

My neice was nearly killed by a female Pit about 10 years ago. She was at a family reunion, and the dog was gentle and played with all the kids all day long. For some unknown reason, late in the day, it grabbed her by the throat and would NOT let go. She nearly bled to death from the injuries.

The dog was around 7 years old nearly as I can remember, had been around infants and small childrens it's entire life, with zero issues at any level before that incident.

Looks like it's difficult to get around the basic laws of breeding and predatory instincts that is in that particular bloodline.

I agree with the insurance companies on this one, as much as I love dogs, that particular breed has enough "history" to make them a liability.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 09-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Actually the Golden Retriever is responsible for more attacks than any other breed.
True, but it's because there are simply tons more GR's out there than anything else.

It's the same as saying that a Honda or a Toyota is involved in more wrecks than any other make. It's simply numbers.

I'm not a fan of PB's, but I don't dislike them either. But it seems that whenever there is a PB attack, the dog owner always says the same thing: "I don't understand it, He/She wouldn't hurt a fly. He/She was always good around the kids. blah, blah, blah, etc. etc. etc."

I personally witnessed a PB attack and saw the whole thing develop from too far to do anything about it. A PB on a porch, attacked a puppy being walked by a little girl and her mother on the other side of the street. The scary thing was the PB never growled, never barked, it just flat out attacked from behind. It was acting to kill, period.

Around here, if someone wants to have a PB, they MUST be in a fenced area with the top fenced in as well.

Last edited by 69goatboy; 09-14-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
The pit does more damage because of the jaw strength.
There are no bad dogs. Just bad owners.
JUST WHERE DID THIS INFO COME FROM?????

Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK - Let's band everything. Stop shaving - the razor is sharp.

I respect each and everyone views on PitBulls... like anything else. But for the insurance companies hiking up the costs insanely.. well - that's just not right and not based on any real data... again - all media hype.

Ultimate Warrior

I enjoy most all animals. What I see alot is the owners of pit bulls think there a bad as- and want a bad as- dog. See it more in the city. JMO

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Any of you that don't disclose, or lie about your dogs are in for a rude awakening if your dog bites someone. They will not cover you, and the subsequent lawsuit could bankrupt you.

Golden Retrievers and Dalmatians (and others) have been over bred (inbred) in many cases, causing mental/social issues.

Any breed of dog can make a great pet, or be a hazard. To me it's not worth the risk with a Pit bull.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
its not the insurance company its the state that did it to the dog http://www.statefarm.com/aboutus/com...ty/protect.asp
I wondered about this as I have staffies ( often mistaken for pitbulls) I agree its not the dog its the owner , as in our condo association we had a dog bite incident with a renter , and there insurance company wouldn't cover it so now its going to court , even though 2 witnesses( not related to the pet owners) saw the kid antaganizing the dog , they make it out to be the dogs fault . type of dog a german shepard . Illinois has the 2 time rule . so the dog will live , but the people whos kid got bit want the renters out , as president of the HOA and a dog owner I think they should put down the kid .
Wow! 90 million.

Last edited by rohrt; 09-14-2010 at 10:47 AM.