Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Usually it's the owner, not the animal. My experience has been that mean people have mean dogs. They take pride in it. The lower functioning the person, the meaner the dog. Generally, they have criminal records, so they can't own GUNS---- a big mean dog is the next best thing. If you are going to wield any form of weapon, you must be held responsible for the consequences.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With any dog... animal of any kind... Know your breeder or where the animal came from or how it was raise.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Usually it's the owner, not the animal. My experience has been that mean people have mean dogs. They take pride in it. The lower functioning the person, the meaner the dog. Generally, they have criminal records, so they can't own GUNS---- a big mean dog is the next best thing. If you are going to wield any form of weapon, you must be held responsible for the consequences.
Yup - That statistic usually is left out of the equation.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lets agree it's the greed of the lawyers/Insurance companies driving this Insurance Scam... and not "concerned citizen".

Do your own research and execute intuition and common sense (something "they" are trying to breed out of us)

Old 09-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thought Poodles where the worst?
One of my buddies has had to have 2 Chows put down twice in a row once they reached 3-4 yrs.
Both house raised with his kids.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100

Last edited by Region Warrior; 09-14-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
Thought Poodles where the worst?
One of my buddies has had to have 2 Chows put down twice in a row once they reached 3-4 yrs.
Both house raised with his kids.
YAH ! And those darn cockerspaniels. Seriously, they are mean fear biters - I don't go near those SOB's

Last edited by triathlonx13; 09-14-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemergary View Post
JUST WHERE DID THIS INFO COME FROM?????
Saw it on the history Channel. "When good pets go bad."
"When animals attack".
Dogs DON'T attack for no reason. They perceive some kind of threat, asserting dominance, are annoyed by something OR they are trained to do it. Sometimes you run across one that has mental problems(just like humans) from inbreading.
The pit does more damage BECAUSE of their jaw strength(that's why they're so popular in fighting circles) and they don't seem to quit untill whatever they go after is dead.

Last edited by sleepy; 09-14-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i guess he only has 3 choices.

1. lose the dog
2. insurance fraud
3. very expensive rider

i agree it is no doubt the owner that causes 99% of the trouble.
any dog has the potential to snap at any moment and hurt some one.
its just that with a pit or other "bully" breed the damage will be worse.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One of the big reasons America is on the decline.... Insurance poor !

Good luck to your friend - Hope he figures something out.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/21878236

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 09-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think there's a dog out there that won't bite. What I see is that a PIT BULL goes into an attack mode kinda like a lion or tiger.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Actually the Golden Retriever is responsible for more attacks than any other breed.
The pit does more damage because of the jaw strength.
There are no bad dogs. Just bad owners.
Excellent Point Sleepy !

501 HP, 554 ft lbs TQ
12.14 ET @ 114 MPH , Supercase Muncie M22, 3:55
Suspension: HO Racing, BMR< Sykorat, and Bilsteins
Narrowed 12 bolt , 16x8 VintageWheel Works,
Comp T/As on street, MT Drag Radials @ Strip

http://www.sdperformance.com/custome...1.php?carID=42
Old 09-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A friend of mine at work got a pit bull to the face in August. The owner was right there, said he was friendly. The owner turned and the dog lunged at my friend. Completely unprovoked.

The kicker was my friend got a two day suspension from work! (Not to mention a bunch of stitches and a couple scars above his lip) Company said he should have known to have the owner put the dog away. This is also the same company that gave a guy a one day suspension for a bee sting- 'it was a preventable accident'. Just unbelievable.

A neighbor has two half pit dogs. I won't let my kids around them.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

"According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:

If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.

Clifton's opinions are as interesting as his statistics. For example, he says, "Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all." "

Old 09-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

....and Hitler exterminated the Jews ... Go for it buddy... America "today" is on your side.

His statics say nothing about the owners... does it. I think your boy missed it completely...

Old 09-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FYI - Nice avator -... now it makes sense.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Senior Chief

A 7 year old boy was killed by pit bulls in Varna,Illinois about a month ago.
I think there were 3 of them plus another breed of dog.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't worry, our gubment will pass another law requireing current/future dog owners to go to dog-owner obedient school.

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 09-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

as much as an animal lover as iam i wont take a grown pitbull unless ive known the owners and how they treated the dog, even though i have had one rot as a kid we picked up at the side of the road who never hurt a flea, also my very first shepard was 6 years old when his owner died that was either i take him or he would be put down, before then if i approached his owners shack he would tear me a new one, guess he was just doing what he was trained to do, he must have known he was on the line tho because he sucked up to me that day i was told he was gonna be put dowm, and never once acted like he wanted to hurt anyone in fact he was just a big kid himsef.

my insurance doesnt really like the fact that i have a shepard now and theyd really sht if they could prove that my other is a wolf, but as far as they know shes malimute, and she is also one that i got with unknown history, but pits they scare me a bit, i have no problem with them if i get them as pups or pretty young, but i have had a few run ins with pits that i tried to take care of and in the end me and the dog come to agreement with each other but i could never trust the dogs with kids and would never bring one in my neighborhood with running around, just seams that the ones people have screwed up in raising them are real quick to change from nice to mean with no warning that its pssed off. i dont blame the insurance for not wanting to cover pitbulls but at the same time there alot of people who know how to bring them up, you would think if you could take your dog to a professional trainer to be tested for aggression problems say once a year and show in writing that the pit has know known aggresion problems that you would then beable buy insurance but doubt that will happen

hmmm, never knew that about retrievers, never have i had a problem with them and as a kid my retriever tolerated alot of abuse from me that he shouldve bit me, guess he knew it was unentintial

Old 09-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Senior Chief

My neigbor has three pit bulls. Once there was four, but he couldn't even control the most aggressive.

In my opinion it is the breed. They are aggressive and don't understand territorial lines baised on anything other than strength. They will attack anything that is not stronger than them at nearly any given time.

For years I delt with them trying, and often successfully jumping a 6ft privacy fence to attack my yellow lab. The only solution solution was to immediatly attack the pit as it came over the fence. At first I would try to seperate. Sometimes bribe the pit with a treat. Then I trained my dog to run to the house as soon as the pits stared so much as a bark. But in the end, i just kept getting so angry that these dogs thought of my dog's yard as there's- I just started attacking them as soon as they came and putting them on the offensive when they'd go for my dog. I've stomped with boots several times, punched a few times, one of my favorites was when I see them coming mid-way on the fence, I just run and punch them as fast as I can straight in the tip of the nose. I always have to have a knife now, always. If any of those things ever nips at me or draws blood from my dog, I promessed myself that I'd kill it, get a gun, and kill the rest regardless of what they did.

They haven't attempted the fence in quite some time since I started punching and kicking them.

They've never attacked me, I have seen them attack other dogs though. Between that and the dozens or so news stories a year of them attacking children, they have to go.

In my opinion, it's a man made problem, and the breed should be eliminated. I'm a pet lover, those aren't pets, they're pack mentality animals that need to be systematically eliminated.

As far as I know, if you ever want the respect of a pit that isn't your dog, beat the snot out of it the second you first see it, regardless of that pit's behavior at the time - tail wagging and all. It's an animal that should always be viewed as hostile regardless of a temporary impression.

If you have children, just get youself a highpowered air rifle and kill them all immediatly! Your neighbor's dog isn't worth the risk.