Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

correct!

Old 11-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Suspended

The laptop is buzzing along well. Thanks.

I just got around to powering up the ACER desktop I bought from work. There's no operating system installed? Ouch.

SYSTEM PROPERTIES says it has XP Professional version 2002 service pack 3 with a long series of numbers following that.
Also,
COMPUTER: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.40Ghz 3.39 GHz, 504 MB of RAM (looks weak on memory--which kind?).

The only programs that come up in the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS list is Intel Extreme Graphics 2 Driver and Realtek AC'97 Audio.

OPTIONS? I assume that means the Windows XP has been wiped? I can probably get some Windows installed from work if I take it in. Is there another route to consider? Should I mess with changing from XP?

Under all 'programs' at the STATE menu I see Windows Messenger, Outlook, MSN, IE, etc. I've got 72 Gigs free space of 74.5G. Wow, I guess it is wiped of Windows. Where would you start?

Old 11-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you can see a Start menu, system properties, etc., it sounds like you are looking at Windows. If it runs, leave XP on it or do a clean install of Windows 7 once you max out the RAM.
I would start with a visit to Crucial.com and run the scanner to check what memory will fit in it. I'm guessing you'll need 4 GB of DDR2 800. The Crucial scan will tell you what type memory and how much, and also offer to sell you some of theirs. Sometimes you can find it cheaper online.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Suspended

That's how weak I am computerologically. Yes, it would be XP I'm seeing if it operates. duh.

KScicutguy suggested I do a fresh install which is what I was going to do with ADD/REMOVE.

Thanks for any help. ETA: Crucial says--4 gig of DDR400 for $40 per gig for a Veriton 7600GT--assuming that's what it still is according to the front. I remember this machine chit the bed once and had to go back to the home office. I don't know what was done to it as far as rebuild or what?

Per ACER:

Veriton 7600GT Series Specifications

Part Number: Veriton7600GT Veriton 7600GT

Feature Description
Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology, up to 3.40E GHz, 800MHz system bus or 2.8GHz at 533MHz
Cache In CPU - Pentium 4, 1MB or 512KB L2 Cache
depending on the CPU
Memory 512MB DDR 400 SDRAM installed in two (256/256) of four dual-channel memory slots
BIOS Acer Flash BIOS
Supported Protocols PCI 2.3, APM1.2, DMI 2.3.1, E-IDE, ACPI 2.0, ESCD 1.03, ANSI ATA 3.0, PnP1a, Bootable CD-ROM 1.0, ATAPI
System Chipset Intel 865G / ICH5
I/O Controller Hub SMSC LPC47M192
Expansion Slots 3 PCI 2.3
Audio Intel ® ICH5 controller, Embedded AC97 Codec (Sound Blaster® compatible)
Speakers Optional on selected models
Video Intel® 865G Extreme Graphics 2 on-die graphic solution with DVMT technology and up to 64MB shared video memory
Storage 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
CD-ROM Drive, CD-RW Drive or DVD-ROM Drive (selected models)
Up to 80GB Hard Disk Drive (selected models)
Modem V92, 56K Fax/Modem (selected models)
Networking Broadcom® 10/100/1000 Base-T, RJ-45 LAN connector
Ports 1 PS2 Keyboard, 1 PS2 Mouse port, Audio line in, line out, headphone out, and 2 Microphone in, 6 USB ports (2 front, 4 rear), 1 Parallel, 1 Serial, 1 RJ-45 Network Interface, 1 VGA,

for USBs I have 4 front and 4 rear. The drive says Rewritable Ultra Drive. We run Microstation and AutoCad 2007 on these machines.

Last edited by PonchoV8; 11-13-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is why I suggested to run the Crucial scan, to find out what is in it now, not what is supposed to be in it originally, maybe still.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Suspended

Okay, I see the scan this time. Not last night. I accepted the terms of the agreement but it says I have elected not to allow active controls.
I just downloaded the scan:

Memory: DDR PC3200
Memory Type: DDR PC3200, DDR (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 4GB
Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
Total Memory Slots: 4
Available Memory Slots: 2
256MB
DDR PC3200256MB
EMPTY EMPTY

Last edited by PonchoV8; 11-14-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post

Just down loaded this and it found 153 errors!

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Suspended

Is Crucial considered the best memory producer? What would be the better names if I don't go with them? BestBuy lists a low price for Crucial, but it's not available.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Suspended

Anyone have an opinion on a quality maker of memory?

Old 11-16-2011, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never had trouble with any of them. (I've also never benchmarked them to see if any are noticeably faster than the others.) Kingston and Crucial seem to be what I usually end up with, probably only because I see them sold everywhere, so I know I can take 'em back if there's a problem.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Suspended

Makes sense. Buying local. I'll watch for sales.

Thanks,

Old 11-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

x2 on using the program called CrapCleaner. Use this after you reload Windows.
It's amazing how much "crap" comes with a brand new operating system, tons of junk that nobody needs slowing us down!