Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anyone install a Grant steering wheel in an A body?

I got a Challenger wheel for Christmas along with the install kit. Problem is, the wheel wants to be installed with the cancelling cam and horn connection at the 2`oclock position whereas the OEM is at the 10`oclock position.

I doubt if it`ll work correctly at the 2 oclock for cancelling......Grant had 46 years to get this right...what`s the deal? Will it work correctly at the 2 oclock? Doesn`t look like it to me.

George

Old 01-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
I doubt if it`ll work correctly at the 2 oclock for cancelling......Grant had 46 years to get this right...what`s the deal? Will it work correctly at the 2 oclock? Doesn`t look like it to me.

George
No, it won't. On my '65 and my'67 I had to drill new holes in the steering wheels to be able to get the cancelling cam in the right place. It will work with the cam the way it is, but not very well. On a right turn it will cancel with the slightest twitch of the wheel.
After all these years, This is the first time I've ever seen anyone else mention this problem, so maybe I'm missing something, but the only way that I've ever figured out how to make these work is to install the adapter so that the cam is in the same position as the original, and drill new holes in the wheel. Would love to hear if there is a better fix.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whole reason I sold the Grant wheel I bought years ago..... Could never figure out how it installed.... Felt like an idiot.

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 01-06-2013, 02:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, guys. I`m. Going to call Grant and give them a piece of my mind, but prob going to redrill the thing anyway.

George

Old 01-06-2013, 03:39 AM
Suspended

Wait .... thats not the reason at all why. The inner our tie rods can be adjusted so the steering wheel will sit correctley by jus installing the whell where it need to be a lot of tghe aftermarket wheeels are off center because there made for so many cars. Thats why on the packages it states you may have to have your alignment adjusted. Not every car make it so the 6-12 are the same amount oof number of splines on the shaft. But it is very easiely fixed.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Thanks, guys. I`m. Going to call Grant and give them a piece of my mind, but prob going to redrill the thing anyway.

George
I would LOVE to hear what Grant has to say about this.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's another thread on the same problem:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ant+cancel+cam

After reading this I remember that on my '67 I just turned the adapter 1/3 of a turn left and used the existing mounting holes, and drilled a new hole for for the horn wire. That would not work on the '65, I had to redrill all 4 holes.

Last edited by chipster; 01-06-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If my memory serves right... I was able to disassemble the wheel and rotate the wheel section to make it work on mine.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default OEM wheel in straight ahead position

Here's the OEM wheel, stright ahead, the horn connection MUST be in the 10 o'clock position to cancel left and right turns correctly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oem_position.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	308593  

Old 01-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Grant hub and steering wheel in recommended install position

Here's the recommended hub and wheel positions
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hub_rec_install.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	308594   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel_rec_positionJPG.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	308595   Click image for larger version

Name:	whl_and_hub_rec-pos.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	308596  

Old 01-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default installed per directions

here's what it would look like, straight ahead,, proper cancelling.

grant had only 46 years to get this right........how many people bought their stuff and it didn't fit?????

I also have GM '91,'93, and '98 that have the cancelling cam in the SAME position as the '67!!

This is with the recommended install kit for a '67 GTO too. i don't get it.....

george
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	whl_and-hub-str-pos.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	308597  

Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rex....the problem is when it's installed per the instructions (and supplied parts) the right turn signal cancels with the slightest movement whereas a left turn may cancel after a half-turn of the wheel or more. It's just not right. Toget it to cancel correctly, the straight ahead position of the wheel is 90 degrees off. Messing with the tie rods, etc. to get the wheel back to proper straight ahead will ressurect the cancelling issue, plus shorten the turn radius in one direction, and lengthen it in the other. Not the right thing to do.

Make the parts so they fit.....I know it's for a RARE car, a '60's GM "A" body, but get it straight....(pun intended).

I'm going to contact them and see what they have to say.......

George

Old 01-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks like a simple fix. Couldn't you just drill a hole?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wheel_rec_positionJPG.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	308602  

Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sure,you can redrill, buut it looks like you need to drill all 4 holes, the wheel mounting hole needs to bestraight up. Besides, Grant should haveit designed cqorrectly by now

George

Old 01-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

On the wheels Ive installed that center section could be unbolted and turned to any position.
Good luck

Old 01-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing but problems here as well but it was years ago because I swore I'd never use them again in anything other than a farm tractor or boat (no turn signals or horn issues)!
It's shameful that they have yet to fix their age old issues.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On this wheel the center is one piece with the spokes. No turning this one.

George

Old 01-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I also have GM '91,'93, and '98 that have the cancelling cam in the SAME position as the '67!!
Yeah, every GM car make I've had from '67-89 has had the cancel cam position at 10 o'clock and I can't understand how this company could get it so wrong for so long...

Have you called them to talk about it George? Maybe they have a solution that isn't obvious to us.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I sent them an email to their cust. service today along with the pix. Let's see how long it takes for them to respond. If it takes several days, I'll phone them directly.

george

Old 01-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a Grant wood wheel on my 66. I turned the cam to the 2 o'clock position, bolted it all together and my signal lights work fine. No redrilled holes at all.

Yeah I know it's not correct and should be at 10 o'clock but it works. I've seen others around here with Grant wheels in their GTOs, and tho I didn't ask I'm sure they didn't drill any new holes. Tho the soonest I can check is in the spring at our first cruise night, and then let you know.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.