Old 05-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by notime View Post
92K thank you. Pat myself on the back for the resto. Wish i would have got that for it when i sold it.
I never saw Jimmy's car but the silver car Darrell restored sure was nice!

73 Trans Am, SD-455, 4-Speed, Brewster Green
73 Formula, 455, 4-Speed, Ascot Silver
73 Formula, 455, Navaho Orange Survivor
Old 05-17-2013, 12:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hopefully someone will buy it before the weekend is over. I sent pictures of it to a business partner of mine who is buying cars there this week.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I need to be enlightened as well. I'm told the automatic hurt it bad but my body gaps and detail I thought were spot on compared to most cars I saw. Once I told the Mecum guy that I didn't want to drop my reserve, they hammered it and rolled it out. It wasn't up there long. I'm showing it to a guy at 9:00 who says he wants it. We'll see.
I just don't get it. If anybody here is at Mecum, please look mine over and tell me what could have been done better.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:30 PM

I can't believe thats all the bidding went to. Wish I could afford it.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

$40,000 for a nice restored 69 Judge is a deal. Perhaps the blase attitude buyers had something to do with it. Seems everyone wants a hideaway grille, hood tach, custom sport wheel and every other bell and whistle on their cars. The truth is not many were sold that way. I don't think the automatic transmission hurt it. Most buyers are older now and banging a stick around isn't as fun as it was in your twenties.
I'm undecided on the engine because frankly, I've seen many cars with NOMs sell for silly money. It's a luck of the draw these auctions. I don't care for them myself, to be honest. Too many years of covering those events and seeing bad stuff go down in front of my eyes only to be denied by officials has soured me off them.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
I just don't get it. I know the silver car was a fantastic car, but worth over DOUBLE what Jimmy's car is worth? .
That's the power of branding - same reason people have kept Coke in business 100 years selling sugar water. The concourse gold makes people feel safe. - that and silver w/ blue is awesome.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree but at the time didn't think it was as big a deal as it probably is. Hindsight, I should have showed it and had it judged at the GTOAA convention. Being that I race my 63, I just never could find the time. I'm sure it does give the buyer a great peace of mind thou.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:31 AM

Ever thought of taking it to a place on consignment? I bet it would sell for good money at RK motors here in Charlotte or Paramount motors in Hickory. I know you don't live here but might be worth a call to them. Wish I had the money for it. I could put $40,000 in mine, not be as nice and still be a clone.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another thought would be to get it to concourse gold level for hopefully a modest investment, then maybe you'd attract more interest?

Old 05-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jimmy could you tell us more about the overall experience and expenses involved with doing a Mecum adventure ? Most of us have little idea about the workings.

Noticed you said you had to pay $1500 for a star listing spot or something ...
and it was a Thursday slot . What was that deal

Could you walk us through some of the details and expenses and ordeals ?

i did find info where a buyer has to pay a 7% fee
and seller pays 5% without reserve , 7% with reserve

Old 05-19-2013, 04:13 PM
Senior Chief

I just got done watching the Thursday edition of Mecum. I didn't see the car. Saw the other 2 Judges. Did I somehow just plain miss it or didn't it make TV.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:20 PM
Senior Chief

X2 as what "BVZ" had to say(he beat me to it),..I was going to put my '70 Judge thru Mecum next year when it comes to Kissimee(closest auction) and have gotten vague answers from their direct line(as far as telling me how long my car will present itself,who drives it,how long does the "bidding go on" part),..if you don't mine,what does it cost you to list in a certain time frame(seems like all the high money goes on around Friday,Saturday),..these things could be of a great service to this forum!!,..thank you in advance!!..P.S...who looks at your car(someone who has a clipboard?),Do they ask for docs',there is so much that appears phoney and "clouty" about this type of transaction that I would acually pay you for "your time" if you want to "PM" me with this type of info!!!

Last edited by Bluesugar; 05-19-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i also saw something in the terms about if the car does not sale through their auction -
they still retain rights to their commissions for 30 days afterwards , if the car is sold within 30 days from the auction .

Sounds like a Crock of Crockery

Old 05-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The 30 days after crossing the block is so that the seller doesn't pocket the comission that would go to the auction company for listing, showing and presenting the car. It's to prevent a practice known as "curbstoning." This coming from the auction guys, is a riot.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've owned my own car dealership for 34 years. I know how auctions are supposed to work. This was my first Mecum trip and it wasn't a good one. I tried my best to get a star catalog spot on fri or sat. The Mecum rep insisted that Thursday night at 6:30 was the best for that price car. Reluctantly I signed up. I called back the next day and told the same person I wanted fri or sat. I knew Thursday money wouldn't be weekend money. He kept insisting. Turns out, the Thursday building was a journey ( and 3 buildings) from the auction block while the fri and sat cars were 100 feet away. All the traffic went thru the fri and sat cars. You had to hunt for the Thursday building. My car ran during a commercial and the Mecum rep starts hounding you from 4-5 cars back that you need to lower or drop your reserve. They are persistent ! When I didn't want to drop it, they gaveled me right on thru and the guy told me they never had a single bid!!! I had been there for 6 days and I felt like I just got totally ripped. They know the regulars! They cater to the regulars! That's the way auctions work many times. IF you are a first timer like me, ask other veterans, have a couple people bidding to get close to your reserve, don't commit to dropping or NOT dropping your reserve. Slow play it while the bidding goes on. Don't pay 1500.00 for a Thursday spot when a fri and sat are the same price. Don't take what Mecum tells you as gospel. Do your homework first . I did not and I paid for it. There's no way my car didn't deserve to get a bid of some kind. He didn't like the fact that I wasn't playing ball with them and bum rushed me right out the building. THEN the pressure is on you to try and use " and the bid goes on". Your already there with the car, you've got a lot of time and money invested, you hate to load up and go home. You are at a huge disadvantage because you've already run and not sold. There are plenty of cars for buyers....the pressure is all on you. Or you take the loss and head home.
Just my opinion!

Old 05-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When you sign up you pay up front and sign a ton of documents giving them all the rights. Then you mail your original title to them, signed and a power of attorney. You are playing ball in their stadium and you need to read everything. At that point they have your money and your paperwork. If you don't bring the car to the auction, or sell it beforehand, you owe them 13% of whatever you stated as your reserve or you don't get your papers back. It's a contract between you and them and your car. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, it's their auction, I'm just saying you need to do your homework up front. I assumed just showing up with a nice, zero mile, rotisserie restoration that was finished and ready for someone to enjoy would SURELY bring 45k and I was going to let it go. I was tired of guarding the car and knew I was never going to drive it and enjoy it. I was committed to selling.
In saying all this, I would go back to buy...maybe on we'd or Thursday...but never to sell again.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you Jimmy for your insite Sir!!,..I am re-thinking my actions,.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to be clear, I'm not saying using their auction is a bad deal by any means. I'm admitting I was I'll prepared and made mistakes from beginning to end. I'm sure if I could redo it, I could do a much better job but as it stands, I got an expensive lesson. Just seek advice from people that have been and hopefully someone who's been several times. They can help you avoid the pitfalls. I didn't do my homework and I simply paid for it.
I learned a lot.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Senior Chief

Are you still obligated to sell it if a buyer contacts Mecum? Looks like a really nice car, BTW.

"Individual results may vary..."
Old 05-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

"I knew Thursday money wouldn't be weekend money. He kept insisting. Turns out, the Thursday building was a journey ( and 3 buildings) from the auction block while the fri and sat cars were 100 feet away. All the traffic went thru the fri and sat cars. You had to hunt for the Thursday building. My car ran during a commercial and the Mecum rep starts hounding you from 4-5 cars back that you need to lower or drop your reserve. They are persistent ! When I didn't want to drop it, they gaveled me right on thru and the guy told me they never had a single bid!!! "

Jimmy, the car should have been slotted for Sat Afternoon. That was not a Thursday car. And setting a "grinder" on you to drop the reserve on top of that was bad form.
Grinders are guys who work on the seller to drop reserve. They also work the other side to get bidding wars going. I'd just sit on the car until the 30 day period is over. They made their money.