Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 12-09-2023, 08:38 PM
Senior Chief

Default Insulation, t37 vs Lemans

Did the 71 T37 have less under carpet insulation than the lemans? Mine is pretty noisy on the highway and I noticed it just has a rug with nothing underneath, just bare floors
Also what about under-dash insulation? More in the Lemans?

Old 12-10-2023, 08:45 PM

Yes, t-37 had less sound deadener and insulation than lemans, sport and GTO. They were build with minimal frills, extras as standard to lower cost

Old 12-10-2023, 08:48 PM
Senior Chief

Did they have the firewall insulation? If not how hard is it to add it to my car?

Old 12-11-2023, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglemans View Post
Did the 71 T37 have less under carpet insulation than the lemans? Mine is pretty noisy on the highway and I noticed it just has a rug with nothing underneath, just bare floors
Also what about under-dash insulation? More in the Lemans?
'70 233's had the paper covered tar mat type floor insulation. I parted a '70 Tempest 2 door Coupe, was a non AC vinyl flooring car & I carefully removed the front vinyl flooring. thought it odd it at the time, that it had the floor insulation, then as the years rolled on I checked several more 70's

'71 T-37 2 doors typically had no asphalt floor insulation from what I've examined. There is a sheet in the 71 Assembly Manual noting the deletion. Over the years i have ran across a few misbuilds with partial floor insulation in the very front. The '71 235 & 237 series LeMans floor pans definitely had the multiple piece floor insulation, same as '71 GTO. Once, you get to '72 models with the addition of the Lux LeMans 2 doors, they had an extra insulation panel.

Firewall pads... On my HO T-37 Coupe, it has its original formed vinyl coated firewall insulation pad. The Coupe also has weight adding factory AC Going back decades, i've never disassembled a factory AC equipped '71 T-37 or GT-37 that didn't have that same formed firewall insulation pad. Will check my HO GT-37 on whether it has a firewall pad. I removed its dash many years ago to have remolded & am slowly getting back on it as a project. The GT-37 other than the drivetrain, is basically a strippo, heater vinyl flooring car.

Old 12-11-2023, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Both the 71 T37s we have had only had floor mat’s and very minimal insulation. They both had power drum brakes, no AC, and were 350 2bbl cars.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:14 PM
Senior Chief

I looked under the dash near the fuse box, looks like some kind of red plastic tile looking things lining the firewall, is that the insulation or did the PO put that in from the aftermarket?