Old 11-23-2020, 12:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Fixing paint issues?

Car: 67 Tempest

Issue: Paint issues

Backstory: Finally got car painted with hot rod satin black. Did it in the garage with a friend. He sprayed- I got in the way.

We were running out of time and light and the gun was shooting dry and I think clogged a few times. However, overall, I think it came out pretty good.

We had a few little bugs land in paint, a few drips (small globs), a nylon hair fell in the paint (and we ended up putting a bunch of squiggly lines in it trying to get the hair out. ) Also, even though I used 400 grit, over epoxy and high build, I can still see scratch marks on the trunk.

All that said it sounds like a disaster but I'm pretty happy with it for my first attempt with a tight budget. Just wondering if these little issues are easily fixed (like sanding and re-shooting- maybe with Satin rattle can?)

I don't have the compressor or the gun- we were using my friends gear.

I'm probably going to be looking for a compressor over this holiday (maybe a black friday deal?)

In the meantime, figured I'd ask the experts for some opinions...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	554595   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	554596   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	554597   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	554598  

Last edited by boostmaster; 11-23-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default A few more pics

I tried to shoot a pic of the trunk with the scratches and notice in the right light it looks a little bit stripey (it was shooting a little dry). I used 1 gallon of the paint. 50% overlap on the spray.

Wonder if I need to go back with a few more coats?

Could not get good pics. Poor lighting and crappy phone camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	554600   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	554601  

Old 11-23-2020, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am not an expert, but I believe the fact that the paint has a satin finish means that any sanding, buffing, or the type of things you can do with glossy paint will not work when trying to match or blend the existing surface. My guess is that you would have to sand or scuff the entire body and shoot 1 continuous coat over all of it to have it look right.

The reason I say this is because any place you try to touch it up will have a transition to the existing paint due to the dry spray or overspray at the edges. On a glossy paint this could be wet sanded and buffed out, but with a satin finish the buffing process will change the gloss level and make things worse.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
The Following User Says Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2020, 01:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the input. That's kinda what I was thinking. Oh well, the plan was never for it to be perfect. If it's too nice we won't drive it.

I guess a few ugly spots are tolerable for now. I suppose we can always go back and re-shoot at a later date.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think Eastwood sells hot rod black in a 2k spray can, but I think it would be very hard to match the sheen from the spray gun.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I'm not a painter by any means but I don't think there's any way you're going to match that by spotting it and definitely not with rattle can satin. If you put it all back together, you're not going to blow it up and paint again, say 6 months from now. If you want to re-do it, I'd say do it now. Fix the bad spots, scuff the entire car and shoot it again or just live with it.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sand with a lighter grit...like 600.....and 2 coats coats should cover those scratches...and get all your boogers out

Old 11-24-2020, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

is this base/clear or single stage? if its base/clear you can probably sand & buff the errors out, i see quite a bit or orange peel in some of the pics. ive painted 3 of my own cars by doing all the prep work & final sanding buffing & have a friend with a paint shop/booth spray it. they come out with quite a bit of orange peel & some imperfections, if teh clear is thick enough they all sand/buff out & look like glass afterwards.

if its single stage you have a lot less to work with & sanding/buffing may not get the same results but should improve on what you have. or like mentioned above, now is the time to sand it with a finer grit & respray it knowing about the gun issues etc. & like you said, if you're ok with how it is & can maybe improve some of the areas a bit then by sanding/buffing then leave it alone & drive it.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Well, I'm not a painter by any means but I don't think there's any way you're going to match that by spotting it and definitely not with rattle can satin. If you put it all back together, you're not going to blow it up and paint again, say 6 months from now. If you want to re-do it, I'd say do it now. Fix the bad spots, scuff the entire car and shoot it again or just live with it.
I agree with this. As much work as it is, it will never be easier than it is right now.

I've had my entire car from primer back down to bare metal 3 times due to mistakes so I feel the weight of your situation!

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
The Following User Says Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 02:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Understood. Never painted a car before. Thought it might be fun- HA!- famous last words. LOL

Anyway, this is built to be a driver. Boss wanted it to not be pretty. It might already be too pretty as it is! I'll ask her and see what she says.

I don't have an issue rescuffing and shooting. I'm almost an expert now.

However, I think these "issues" might turn out to be non-issues once I get the boss's input.

Just wanted to know what my options would be in the event I needed to go back to the drawing board.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Aftah looking at the pics...I can see you clearly didn’t drink enough beer before spraying !