67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 12-04-2020, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1969 LED Tail lights (flood lit)

Is there anyone making a proper modern 1969 Firebird LED tail light? I'm looking for one that is "flood lit", not the ugly ones where you can see the individual bulbs.

Or can anyone recommend a custom shop that can make them for me? It's for a custom build, not a budget build.

Thanks!

Old 12-04-2020, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

You can use LED bulbs in the factory taillight housing. I would recommend changing the bulbs in the rear as well as the front turn signals. You'll need to change your flasher cans at the same time to accommodate the lower load the LED bulbs use.

Old 12-04-2020, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, I've done that. Perhaps let me explain more by what I mean by flood lit....

You know how brand new cars have tail lights that are solid red and you can't see the tiny round LED bulbs? They are using specially bevelled texturing on the inside of the lens w/micro LEDs or fiber optics from the side of the lens. That's is what I'm looking for.

LED bulbs as you know create a hot spot where the sides are not as bright as the center. The factory style and reproduction lenses and reflectors were never made for them.

Old 12-04-2020, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can get wide-angle LED's in a bunch of different viewing angles.

Would need to get angles right, for the depth, so that beams overlap for uniform saturation/color/intensity.

Clay

Old 12-04-2020, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's true, but that seems like a ton of R&D and dealing with buying and returning a lot of LEDs.

If custom ones run more than a couple grand I may have to go that route.