67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 68 Bird Heater box rebuild and heater core questions

In in the process of getting my car ready for reassembly. It's a non-AC car. The heater box was looking a bit tired so I cleaned it up with a wire wheel and will be painting it. Two questions

1.) The foam pad on the largest heater flap desintegrated with age. I see multiple kits out there for about $20 with multiple pieces in them. Do any of you have experience with doing this? I'd like to know if any of the kits are better than the other as I'm thinking they are all the same. Also, is it only possible to replace the one big pad without ripping the box apart, or is there some way to get to the other 2 flaps to replace the pads? Not sure how those flaps would come out (maybe pound the pins out of the flaps?

2.) I have the original heater core yet for my car. It was last used 30 years ago, so I sent it out for leak testing at a local radiator shop that has a very good reputation. It's a non-AC heater core . I was going to replace it, but I've heard the replacement cores aren't the same dimensions. I'd really like to just replace it so it never has to be touched again. Any recommendations on where to get an excellent replacement? Yes, I've found many places that sell them, but have yet to know who sells the one with truly correct dimensions and high quality. I would really like to hear from someone that already bought this exact heater core.

Thanks
OJ

Old 01-02-2021, 08:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's been a long time but I'm pretty sure I got my kit from Classic Industries. It came with every part needed and went together very easily.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, I see no easy way to put the foam pieces on two of the flaps as they are buried inside the box unless you find a way to remove them. So, how do you get the pins out of the flaps? Just pound them out with a hammer and punch?

Old 01-03-2021, 03:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sorry to say that I can't remember how I did it.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtobird View Post
In in the process of getting my car ready for reassembly. It's a non-AC car. The heater box was looking a bit tired so I cleaned it up with a wire wheel and will be painting it. Two questions

1.) The foam pad on the largest heater flap desintegrated with age. I see multiple kits out there for about $20 with multiple pieces in them. Do any of you have experience with doing this? I'd like to know if any of the kits are better than the other as I'm thinking they are all the same. Also, is it only possible to replace the one big pad without ripping the box apart, or is there some way to get to the other 2 flaps to replace the pads? Not sure how those flaps would come out (maybe pound the pins out of the flaps?

2.) I have the original heater core yet for my car. It was last used 30 years ago, so I sent it out for leak testing at a local radiator shop that has a very good reputation. It's a non-AC heater core . I was going to replace it, but I've heard the replacement cores aren't the same dimensions. I'd really like to just replace it so it never has to be touched again. Any recommendations on where to get an excellent replacement? Yes, I've found many places that sell them, but have yet to know who sells the one with truly correct dimensions and high quality. I would really like to hear from someone that already bought this exact heater core.

Thanks
OJ
Pull the pins holding the doors/flaps, clean them up, replace the foam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	241.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	557476   Click image for larger version

Name:	245.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	557478   Click image for larger version

Name:	246.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	557479   Click image for larger version

Name:	247.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	557480   Click image for larger version

Name:	250.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	557481  

Old 01-03-2021, 05:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

More Pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	254.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	557482   Click image for larger version

Name:	269.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	557483   Click image for larger version

Name:	271.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	557484   Click image for larger version

Name:	273.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	557485   Click image for larger version

Name:	294.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	557486  

Old 01-03-2021, 06:36 PM

How thick is your heater core? 2 1/2" or 2"?

A 2 1/2" thick core was used in 1967 and the start of 68, at some point in the 68 run they switched to a 2" core. The 2" core is the one that everyone carries.

I have a 67 and ran into this, I had went to a radiator shop they took the dimension of my core and bought a replacement the same size then took the tanks off my 67 and put them on the new core.

Rick

Old 01-04-2021, 04:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

Thanks
OJ
Sorry, I thought you were working on a 69 not a 68..

Old 01-04-2021, 09:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport69 View Post
Sorry, I thought you were working on a 69 not a 68..
As far as I can tell, the 68 and 69 boxes are the same, so your instructions are much appreciated.

Hope you don't mind a few more questions. Back to pulling the pins out....... Mine are really in tight. I haven't tried spraying them with any kind of penetrant like PB Blaster yet. Did you soak yours before pulling them? Any advice so I don't bend anything?

On the largest flap that is easily seen, the pin is peened over like a rivet. Did you just leave that flap in the box and install the foam with it in place or did you grind the head off the end of the pin and yank that one too?

Also, when you put the flaps back in, did you have any issues getting the pins in the proper rotation with the flaps? Looks like if they were improperly installed, the flaps would be in the wrong position compared to the position of the dash levers that control the heater box.

Thanks again,
Old Joe

Old 01-04-2021, 09:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head with this one. I do have the 2 1/2" heater core. Looks like I'll have to use my original unless someone has advice on how to space out the narrower core so it will fit properly. By the way, my car was built in April of 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
How thick is your heater core? 2 1/2" or 2"?

A 2 1/2" thick core was used in 1967 and the start of 68, at some point in the 68 run they switched to a 2" core. The 2" core is the one that everyone carries.

I have a 67 and ran into this, I had went to a radiator shop they took the dimension of my core and bought a replacement the same size then took the tanks off my 67 and put them on the new core.

Rick

Old 01-04-2021, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just did this yesterday and finished two hours ago. I bought the one from ames which was the two inch one. It fit perfect. This is the second time I've done it on this car.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
I just did this yesterday and finished two hours ago. I bought the one from ames which was the two inch one. It fit perfect. This is the second time I've done it on this car.
Okay, but was your car built before or after April of 1968? Later cars had the 2" core to begin with.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Okay, but was your car built before or after April of 1968? Later cars had the 2" core to begin with.

Well shut my mouth. I just checked the Ames website. Here is what they say about their non-AC heater core....... Note that it's listed as being 2 1/2" deep, not 2"

Part#
FP354C
Description 1967-1968 V8 HEATER CORE, WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING (AP)
Net Comments FOR ORIGINAL V8 CAR. OAL 10-7/8"-CORE SIZE 9 1/2" WIDE X 6 1/2" HIGH X 2 1/2" THICK. 3/4" HOSE & 5/8" HOSE *WILL NOT FIT CAMARO*

Old 01-05-2021, 04:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
As far as I can tell, the 68 and 69 boxes are the same, so your instructions are much appreciated.

Hope you don't mind a few more questions. Back to pulling the pins out....... Mine are really in tight. I haven't tried spraying them with any kind of penetrant like PB Blaster yet. Did you soak yours before pulling them? Any advice so I don't bend anything?

On the largest flap that is easily seen, the pin is peened over like a rivet. Did you just leave that flap in the box and install the foam with it in place or did you grind the head off the end of the pin and yank that one too?

Also, when you put the flaps back in, did you have any issues getting the pins in the proper rotation with the flaps? Looks like if they were improperly installed, the flaps would be in the wrong position compared to the position of the dash levers that control the heater box.

Thanks again,
Old Joe
You definitely want to lube them (a little) with something like PB or Deep Creep. I don't remember exactly how, it's been over ten years now, but I'm sure I didn't damage them taking them out. I know it's "tricky" but it can be done. If you have to round out the pin to get it out, you may want to try using a push nut after reassembly to lock it in place. Just a thought since the pins aren't under any pressure. Take lots of pictures of the pins and flaps during disassembly, noting their activation direction, and position (side) of flaps/doors and you should be fine .
I have a vague memory that the one pin will pull out through the first hole far enough to allow the flap/door to come off, but it won't pull completely out of the top hole because the flared/flat part on the pin won't allow it.
If you notice in pic 254 there's a lot of rust/crud to deal with, you want to take your time and keep working at it, it will come out eventually but it takes time, work, and finesse. Maybe try a brass brush beforehand to get as much off as you can, and also on the pin as it starts to come out.

Last edited by Sport69; 01-05-2021 at 04:40 PM.