Old 12-30-2020, 05:42 PM

Question washer replacement parts kit: requires full wiper motor system removal?

Hello all,

My two-speed wipers work great, my washer motor operates properly when activated (can hear the clicking etc). Lines are not plugged etc, just no water pumping. So I bought the washer repair kit P204C from Ames, thinking I could just remove the 4 screws holding the washer housing to the washer motor system and swap the new parts in.

But it looks pretty tight and shop manuals talk about moving the interior "pawl" assembly to park the bellows at a certain location before removing it.

So, has anyone successfully replaced just the washer housing and bellows while on the car? Or do I need to remove cowl cover, disconnect wiper motor from transmission bar (to wipers), then remove the entire wiper motor+washer assembly to do this repair?

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2020, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

probably a silly question, but did you try to prime it??

"Bill"!

Old 12-31-2020, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's a great idea, an empty washer pump, especially one that's old would never "pull" enough air thru the line; if at all' to get the fluid up to the pump. Starting with a dry chamber.

I used to use a spritz of compressed air (3/4 full washer jar) and there is a little hole on top where the cap is.

Hook up all your rubber tubing first, Run some air into the vent hole which will push some fluid thru the supply hose; key on engine off, battery at 12 volts; and have someone push the wiper switch to washer.

I always have a garden hose handy, you should never run wiper blades on a dry windshield.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:54 AM

Yes I did! Primed it with a full line and insured the output lines and tips were clear and moved air. I held the full line above the pump inlet and blew on it to pressurize the water headed to the pump, no dice.

And Pete yes thanks, I laid both wipers on top of microfiber towels so the windshield would be unaffected while it cycled (and thanks again for your excellent Hurst shifter book, my correct late-65 shifter is in (3138 pre-patent housing, 3232 shifter) and doing great, ready for my console install).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 12-31-2020, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use a rubber maid plastic bottle my wife has. Looks like an old ketchup bottle in a restaurant. When I prime, I start at the washer bottle and pressure the fluid all the way THRU the pump and out on the windshield nozzles. That makes sure all lines and nozzles are open. Same type bottle I prime the car with in the spring...........

"Bill"!

Old 12-31-2020, 10:30 AM

Alright Bill I will go full pressurized and see what she does and report back, thanks!

Old 01-06-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrandyb View Post
Alright Bill I will go full pressurized and see what she does and report back, thanks!

Alright, fully pressurized (water from tank line pushing all the way out both squirters). Then hit the washer button and wipers started moving and washer motor started clicking, but no water.

Again, from the description of the bellows replacement procedure in the shop manual, it sure sounds like I have to pull the entire wiper motor system out to get to the washer parts properly. Anybody have any alternate experience or shortcuts before I start removing the cowl cover, unclipping, unbolting, and pulling the whole thing?

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2021, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The more complete kit has a rubber replacement for the main plunger as well was the valves and plastic etc. That one requires you remove the washer pump portion of the system to install it. I think the only place I saw it was at Corvette Central. I gave up on it and got a windshield washer pump and hid it near the brake booster. I just had to extend my harness to it. It works well, but again, has to be primed initially.

Old 01-07-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
The more complete kit has a rubber replacement for the main plunger as well was the valves and plastic etc. That one requires you remove the washer pump portion of the system to install it. I think the only place I saw it was at Corvette Central. I gave up on it and got a windshield washer pump and hid it near the brake booster. I just had to extend my harness to it. It works well, but again, has to be primed initially.
That is the kit I bought, with bellows, white plastic housings, o-rings, 4 bolts all included. Just the angle to get at the 4 bolts (especially the ones by the firewall) make it look like you really need to pull the whole washer, and since the washer latches on to a pin that is driven by the wiper motor, it looks like pulling the wiper motor with washer on it is the most "straightforward" approach.

So I may just stick with wipers that work until I'm ready to pull the entire system off and open it up; the shop manual helps a lot but I don't really need the washer to work every day I drive the car in FL.

Thanks!

Old 01-08-2021, 12:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There are 2 kits. One early and one for later. I got the early one. It took a lot of fiddling to figure it out as I remember.
Especially attaching the diaphragm plunger. Mine works now but only after I had bought a supposed replacement pump off Ebay and it did not fit. I got the correct
kit from AAMES. Mine works now

Old 01-12-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceaceca View Post
There are 2 kits. One early and one for later. I got the early one. It took a lot of fiddling to figure it out as I remember.
Especially attaching the diaphragm plunger. Mine works now but only after I had bought a supposed replacement pump off Ebay and it did not fit. I got the correct
kit from AAMES. Mine works now
Thanks, I got the rebuild kit from Ames also, so it looks like I'll be pulling the whole wiper and washer mechanism as a unit to rebuild the washer. I'll report back on the process once I've completed it.

Old 01-12-2021, 01:53 PM
Suspended

If that doesn't work, I have NOS washer parts.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
If that doesn't work, I have NOS washer parts.
Great thanks I'll let you know.