Old 11-29-2020, 10:26 PM

Default Oil filter housing bypass mechanism.

Group, my 65 Pontiac 326 oil filter housing has a bypass system. The spring doesn't seem very strong and the keeper does not seem heavy duty. Help me understand this.
Isn't oil through the filter under full oil pump pressure? And doesnt a filter have it's own built in bypass mechanism? I can't see that spring and disc in the housing holding much pressure. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201129_163654.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	555034   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201129_165027.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	555035   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201129_163649.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	555036  

Old 11-30-2020, 06:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Itīs an engine safety device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bypass.PNG
Views:	128
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	555070  

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 11-30-2020, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A correct Pontiac oil filter does not have a bypass valve incorporated into the oil filter. Many other brands do have a bypass incorporated into the filter, Pontiac however, does not.

Pontiac engineers choose to build the bypass into the oil filter adapter, rather than incorporate it into the oil filter itself. The purpose is to not allow the hydraulic pressure to damage the filter element by tearing it, or collapsing it in a situation of thick oil upon cold startup, or a nearly blocked filter element due to neglect.

The spring and the disc in the filter housing only reacts to pressure differential between the pressure of the pump side of the filter element and the downstream side, kind of an equalizing valve to operate when there is too much pressure differential. It's not meant to stand the entire pressure of the system, and is not engineered to do so.

It's a safety valve, as has been already stated so the filter element isn't collapsed due to hydraulic pressure differential between the opposite sides of the filter element. There are some people that block this valve in an effort to make 100% of the oil travel through the filter element. The risk is that the element will tear, dumping all the accumulated trash from one side of the element into the engine. Not something I would want to happen inside of one of my own engines, I've never blocked the bypass valve in any of my race, or street engines.

Unless someone dissected every one of their oil filters upon removal, you would never know the filter element had ruptured. If someone wants to have the oil filtered to a higher standard, a by pass oil filter can be used in addition to the standard issue factory element. It will keep the oil much cleaner than the 30-40 micron standard issue filter does as they efficiently filter to the 5 micron range. This adds to oil, as well as engine longevity.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 11-30-2020 at 11:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2020, 12:09 PM

Thank you. I understand now. It's a pressure differential valve rather than a simple pressure relief valve. I like it and will keep it as intended.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

just use a good quality filter

Old 05-12-2023, 09:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default spring retainer correct?

In the first pic in the first post: I was wondering if the metal retainer arm that holds the spring in place is installed correctly? I saw a pic in another thread and the metal retainer arm was installed flipped over. Just curious if it matters?

Old 05-12-2023, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpoltzer View Post
In the first pic in the first post: I was wondering if the metal retainer arm that holds the spring in place is installed correctly? I saw a pic in another thread and the metal retainer arm was installed flipped over. Just curious if it matters?
Definitely it does matter.

The dimple pressed into the spring retainer is there to locate the spring, the dome of the dimple should face the spring.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2023, 10:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Makes sense!

That does make sense B-man. Thank you.