Old 01-01-2021, 09:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default undercoating

Did all 65 GTOs get undercoating in the quarter panel wheelhouse regardless if the floor boards were undercoated? Would it be considered incorrect if the wheelhouse was only black primer or 60% gloss black?

Old 01-01-2021, 10:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did a search and found the answer. I forgot I asked this question a few months ago. Duh!

Old 01-02-2021, 12:03 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up undercoating 65 gto

i purchased my car new in 65 it was undercoated....i guess by dealer.....salted road in north nj and zero rust ! floorboards perfect...

Old 01-05-2021, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The main reason undercoating was used in the wheel wells was to keep road noise down and to give protection from rocks. I would never run one without the factory type coating. Or new rhino-lining or something. Who wants dented up wheelhouses? My '65 is a CA original and has no undercoating except for the wheel wells. My '67 from Baltimore is totally undercoated. And that actually saved the car, as it didn't get into CA until 1983.

Old 01-05-2021, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe all '60's GTO's had undercoating applied at the factory from the rear wheel wells back. The four '64's I've owned, plus a '69 and '70 GTO's all had undercoating in the rear area. We've seen the same with First Gen Firebirds.

This is not to invite discussions on pros & cons of undercoating, just what I've observed.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan