The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 01-12-2021, 03:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Proper brazing would tear out the floor pan metal before braze failure ... the problem is, the OP has no experience brazing, so it's unlikely it would be "proper" and considering the typical coatings top and bottom, rust etc. a good braze would be difficult for anyone.

Take a look at the factory welds .. not what I would call quality work. Strangely the seat mounts are typically spot welded AND mig welded in a few spots around the perimeter. Makes me wonder if there were some failures in testing and they added the MIG welds to alleviate the problem. The danger to seat mounts and occupants is in rear end collisions.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:17 AM
Senior Chief

Great stuff here, I don't have a ton to add but I too have done quite a little bit of light welding on a 15 Amp circuit. Preheating can help. I also found that avoiding the use of an extension cord is really helpful in getting as much usable current to the welder as possible and minimizing the loss through extension cord(s). If the outlet is loose or worn consider replacing it as well.

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear
The Following User Says Thank You to punkin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^^^ Yep, very important, if at all possible avoid the extension cord ... if you have to use one, use a higher rated one, only as long as necessary. Try to find one rated at 20 amps.

Old 01-12-2021, 04:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStathas View Post
Why even take a chance. A seat mount is a safety issue if it breaks away in a crash. I'd just bolt the mounts in if I had any question of brazing integrity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
You could go this route, but you would have to use a very wide and heavy gauge washer or plate steel on the underside to prevent the hardware from tearing through the floor pan in a collision scenario. It would be a similar approach to how race harnesses are installed in race cars.

Personally, I'm not a fan of brazing or bolting in the seat brackets. It's a safety issue, and needs to be done right.
This is what I did when converting from bench seats to buckets. Suggested/recommended from another car forum I'm on.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 01-20-2021, 04:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

For the welding I'm doing, I wanted something versatile and reasonably priced. This Hobart 125 takes flux core wire (no gas) and wire that requires gas. I'll see how my new toy works out. Not as good as my last one, (the 140), but this one should be OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Welder.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	558915  

Old 01-20-2021, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks nice! Hope you enjoy it.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 01-21-2021, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That should work fine, MIG welding on auto body, brackets and such is not stressing a welder that size at all.