Old 01-16-2021, 11:59 PM
Senior Chief

Default Suspension and steering replacement

I am getting ready to replace steering linkages, springs, and suspension bushings on my 65 Grand Prix. Does anyone have experience with suspension and steering parts from Ames?

The guy rebuilding my rear axle said he has a lot of problems with how new bushings fit in the rear axle housing, but he was talking about bushings bought from Autozone or Oreilly's. Has anyone had the same experience with bushings bought from Ames?

Does anyone know who makes these parts for Ames?

Old 01-17-2021, 04:04 PM
Senior Chief

I haven't bought bushings from Ames. I try to support our host whenever possible, but I bought all of my bushings and most of my front end parts from Kanter for my '64 GP. You can try Kanter too.

I would avoid anything from Autozone or O'Reilly's for our cars. Rockauto is better, but even that place has lots of wrong info for our parts. When I first bought my GP I ordered a fuel sending unit from O'Reilly that they said fit. Because it was a special order, I had to pay a large amount for shipping and wait a while. The part arrived a couple weeks later and it wasn't even close to the one that fit my original gas tank. O'Reilly gave me back my money for the sending unit but wouldn't refund the shipping, even after I explained the part not fitting my car and why I returned it was their fault.

Old 01-17-2021, 04:10 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ64GP View Post
I haven't bought bushings from Ames. I try to support our host whenever possible, but I bought all of my bushings and most of my front end parts from Kanter for my '64 GP. You can try Kanter too.
I've done Rock Auto when I replaced a lot of bushings for my dad's 67 Grand Prix. The only down side is they don't have everything needed. Ames seems to be a one-stop-shop for everything, and as you mentioned they are our host.

How long ago did you replace your bushings? How many miles on them? Are you happy with how they have held up?

Old 01-23-2021, 11:40 AM
Senior Chief

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how the bushings have held up as my restoration is still underway and the car is only a roller.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:17 PM
Suspended

I used to hit the rubber bushings with a few tacks to keep them in place.. Never use poly bushings on a four link rear suspension or weld plates in the control arms, they were designed to twist and give, its part of the suspension..

I made new control arms from Currie Johnny Joints and pipe. They sell the threaded bungs too.. Having the ability to adjust the rear end alignment makes a big difference in the overall fell of the car..

Old 02-02-2021, 10:37 AM

My two cents: I am running Ram Air Restoration boxed upper and lower control arms and the poly bushings and shells supplied with them on my ‘66 2+2. I’m also running 25% stiffer front and rear 1” lowering springs from Coil Springs Specialties, front and rear sway bars from ADDCO, KYB shocks all around, and a fast-ratio manual box. I can’t say that ride quality has suffered much, although it is generally firmer than stock. The difference in handling is amazing though. It corners flat with very little body roll. I’ve taken 30 MPH freeway entrance ramps at over double speed and it just sticks. I am running 235-60-17 tires on it currently.

Even if you’re not interested in all of the other mods and want a more stock setup, I haven’t felt felt much ride degradation from running poly bushings front and rear and boxed control arms in my four link and I have never had any squeaks. I drove the car about 3000 miles with the stock suspension setup, and now have about the same on the rebuilt setup, so I feel I have had a good amount of miles to compare. I purchased my rebuild parts from RARE (rear control arm kit and front upper tubular arms), AMES (misc pieces), Kanter (front-end parts), Andy’s Autosport (sway bars), OPGI (Front bushings), and Rock Auto (Lares steering gear & rag joint and shocks).

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-02-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scld1354 View Post
I am getting ready to replace steering linkages, springs, and suspension bushings on my 65 Grand Prix. Does anyone have experience with suspension and steering parts from Ames?

The guy rebuilding my rear axle said he has a lot of problems with how new bushings fit in the rear axle housing, but he was talking about bushings bought from Autozone or Oreilly's. Has anyone had the same experience with bushings bought from Ames?

Does anyone know who makes these parts for Ames?

My two cents: I installed new shells provided with my poly bushings in my rear end with a ball joint press (c-clamp style) and they went in without too much fuss. It was a pain working in the limited space with the rear ended still in the car, however. My bushings and shells were supplied by RARE with a set of boxed 4-link arms.

My setup consists of Ram Air Restoration boxed upper and lower control arms and the poly bushings and shells supplied with them on my ‘66 2+2. I also have RARE front upper tubular control arms. I’m running 25% stiffer front and rear 1” lowering springs from Coil Springs Specialties, front and rear sway bars from ADDCO with poly end-links, KYB shocks all around, and a fast-ratio manual box. I can’t say that ride quality has suffered much, although it is generally firmer than stock. The difference in handling is amazing though. It corners flat with very little body roll. I’ve taken 30 MPH freeway entrance ramps at over double speed and it just sticks. It’s not that it handled horribly stock, but it wasn’t great. I am running 235-60-17 tires on 7” rims on currently.

Even if you’re not interested in all of the other mods and want a more stock setup, I haven’t felt felt much ride degradation from running poly bushings front and rear and boxed control arms in my four link and I have never had any squeaks. I drove the car about 3000 miles with the stock suspension setup, and now have about the same on the rebuilt setup, so I feel I have had a good amount of miles to compare. I purchased my rebuild parts from RARE (rear control arm kit and front upper tubular arms), AMES (misc pieces), Kanter (front-end parts), Andy’s Autosport (sway bars), OPGI (Front bushings), and Rock Auto (Lares steering gear & rag joint and shocks).

Now, having said all of that, stock rubber bushings aren’t a bad way to go either. OE-style comfort and they are way cheaper.

Ben

Old 02-02-2021, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When did you get the parts from Ram Air Restorations? They don't seem to have any of those parts listed on their site these days.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
When did you get the parts from Ram Air Restorations? They don't seem to have any of those parts listed on their site these days.

I had to call RARE and ask about them specifically. I discovered someone on a forum who had a pair which is how I found out they were made by RARE. They moved locations last year and I got the feeling when I spoke with them that they were holding off on making batches of certain new parts. I bought the last set of suspension-corrected front upper tubular a-arms with tall ball joints they had in early 2020. They used to have lower tubular a-arms as well, but were out of them.

When I wanted stainless fuel and brake lines from Inline Tube for my ‘66 b-body I had to call them as well since they were not listed on their website.