Old 05-09-2019, 02:25 PM

Default 69 Executive - rear shocks

When I bought my '69 Executive coupe a few years ago (like 22)... I was in college back then and had air-assist shocks put on the rear. I don't remember if I actually needed them, or just thought it would be cool to be able to raise and lower the rear end.

Fast forward to now, and the shocks leak and don't hold air anymore. I like the cruisers and all, but it sits way too low in the rear now. Anyone have opinions on putting another set of air shocks on there, versus standard gas shocks?

I'm fine with standard stuff now (and they are cheaper than air shocks), but one concern I have is that the ride height/level may not be correct. I don't want to be stuck with the rear end being either jacked up or looking like a lowrider...

Old 05-10-2019, 08:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to David Brown

I have Super Lifts on my 70 Bonneville. I installed them because when I loaded the trunk when taking a trip, the rear was too low, even on new springs. The air shocks level the car and make it ride and handle like it was empty. When trunk is empty, you still need 20 or 25 lbs of air. Mine rides just fine. Air shocks are NOT intended to raise the rear above level.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:13 PM

My thought is if it's too low in the rear the springs may need to be replaced. If you have a factory shop manual, somewhere in there should be specifications for the factory ride height and how to measure it.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:22 PM

Hmm, ok. No factory shop manual here. I've had this car since 1997 and the rear end always seemed to ride low. With the air shocks, I could go higher OR lower than level but generally kept them mid-range like yours David.

Springs aren't bad in price, I guess it wouldn't hurt to replace them... but seems like a waste if not needed.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

have you ever thought about installing spacers? I have used the style that goes under the spring, on top of the spring perch on the axle. I have installed up to 2" spacers. They are trapped between the lower spring perch and the spring. I used them when the springs seemed to be good, but the ride height was a little low in the back.

Same work as changing the rear springs. Just a thought.

I don't remember the exact brand I used, the last time I used them was around 10 years ago. But they look like these on this epay link. They come in several thickness's

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPC-Perform...-/183768692865

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 05-12-2019, 05:23 PM

Spacers are certainly another idea... what made you choose that in deciding that the springs "seemed to be good" in your case?

If springs become worn out by mileage and use, then mine should be fine. My Executive only has 68k miles on it, and I drive it less than 1k/year. A few years I'm sure I have only put a few hundred on it, so the springs/shocks are not being flexed often or hard.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are running roughly stock diameter tires, 29” (225/75/15) then you should have about 9.5” from the back end of the rocker molding bottom edge to the ground with a tank of gas and nothing else in the car. Spacers are a good idea if the factory springs aren’t totally shot as jobber springs are never the right height and they seem to weaken quickly compared to factory units.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 05-12-2019, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had installed airbags in my '69 wagon. The springs were worn and the previous owner had installed shocks with helper springs.

The airbags were a quick and easy install and didn't require much air (like 5-10 psi) to bring it back to stock ride height for normal unloaded driving. A little more air for heavy loads. I like that the load is on the spring mounts, where it should be and you can use whatever shocks you prefer for the ride you like.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 05-13-2019, 02:30 PM

Any input how how to know if the factory springs are totally shot? If the "feel" of the suspension is an indicator, there really are no problems there. The rear end doesn't bounce up and down or have a hard time recovering from bumps, etc. It just sits low.

I have airbags on my '95 Surburban 3/4 ton to aid with heavy towing our RV trailer. They help out a lot, and I like that option... but they're pretty pricey for a car I rarely drive. And I know the rubber material of those bags will rot and eventually stop holding air too, because that happened on the original set my Suburban had.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to David Brown

I think one of the ways to determine if springs are worn out is if they no longer keep the car at the correct height. It's hard to determine if ride quality has deteriorated because it happens so gradually. When I replaced my springs, they brought the car up to the right height and the ride quality was much better too. And rears are MUCH easier than the fronts!

Old 05-14-2019, 10:11 AM

The Exec is at a shop about 30 minutes from my house, and I called and got some measurements from the mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
If you are running roughly stock diameter tires, 29” (225/75/15) then you should have about 9.5” from the back end of the rocker molding bottom edge to the ground with a tank of gas and nothing else in the car.
- Verified my tire size is the same.
- The rear corner of the FRONT wheelwell (behind the tire) is 9.5" to the ground.
- The front corner of the REAR wheelwell (in front of tire) is 8.5"... so 1" drop.
- The rear corner of the REAR wheelwell is 12" ... higher body line that moves upward toward the rear bumper.

Is my 8.5" number where you are referring to 9.5" as being correct? That would match the front. 1" difference doesn't seem that low but maybe it's more noticeable than I realize.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dad special ordered a '69 6 pass Exec wagon new. 428, AC, HD battery, HDC, Super Lift shocks, etc. Had a receiver hitch (equalizer style) installed. I've been under thousands of GM rear wheel drive vehicles & the '69 wagon's hitch had side rails mounted quite a ways up the wagon's rear frame rails, extending further than what one typically sees under 80's -todays vehicles w a Class 3 hitch installed. Slightly lower in the rear was the factory stance, not level. Dad or I always put air in the air shock inlet when we were about to haul the travel trailer, otherwise air was let out. Mom drove the Executive wagon as her driver til the Fall of '75 when Dad ordered her a '76 SJ GP.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stock height is about 10” just behind the the front wheelwell and 9.5” USA in front of the rear wheelwell. So you are down 1/2” in front and “in back. Nothing too serious.

I’d start by checking that you have the rear insulators that sit on top of the rear spring, you can gain a bit there if they are mia or collapsed from age. Modern gas shocks will lift the car about 1/2” in the back compared to normal old style oil shocks.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 05-16-2019, 09:23 AM

Thanks everyone - As I read back through this thread, I might have been making this issue a bit too complicated. Lots of possibilities but I'm going to start with the obvious and have the air shocks replaced. That setup worked fine for probably 15 years until they stopped holding air due to age, so we will start there and see how the level seems after that. I'll have the stock spring insulators checked too (thanks for the tip north).