Old 07-08-2019, 09:01 PM

Default Seatbelt question

I'm missing the lower shoulder belt receiver (coming up from floor) for my 69 GTO. The upper shoulder belt is still there on the holders above the windows. Are the buckle covers the same size as the lap belts? In some photos of used belts for sale they look like they may be smaller? Are they difficult to find with the tags still on them?

Old 07-08-2019, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hello

I have 2 apple boxes of black belts 68 69 70 stds ... never sold a one out of em ... but ... theres some singles
in there ,,,
I should may have a single for you
please post a picture of the other females tag ... or your upper shoulder male tag for my reference

Scott

Old 07-08-2019, 10:44 PM

Scott,
Just sent you an email.
Are the lap female ends a different size than the shoulder female ends?
Greg

Old 07-11-2019, 01:10 PM
Senior Chief

My '68 (which is supposed to be the same as '69) has the same receivers for both the lap belt and the shoulder belt.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:20 PM

My 69 has custom belts. Receiver for lap belt is different than shoulder belt. I believe shoulder belt has larger buckle

69 gto ,all#match,467,th400,3:55 Easton posi,resto completed may 2016. 427 hp/530tq. Stump puller with stock#62 , stock intake and qjet
Th400 gone. Tkx close ratio with .64 of
66 Pontiac Beaumont sport deluxe,BB 5sp tko 3:08 auburn 450hp 550 torque wife sold it
Old 07-11-2019, 02:54 PM

Some of the ads on EBay show it both ways but they are not specifically stating what car they came from just giving a list of makes & models that they fit.
How many types of seatbelts were available for a 69 GTO?

Old 07-13-2019, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Standard belts for a '68-71 GTO/A-body are the common style with the plastic covers... several different original suppliers.

Custom seat belts were an option, these are the ones with brushed stainless buckles, typicallly made by Irvin. with Custom belts there were a combination of normal size & smaller buckle/male ends which made up the set, not so with plastic cover standard belts.

Another style... the standard belt sets in many '69 GP's & Bonnevilles had a black heavily textured steel faced buckle. Believe Buick also used ths style of standard seat belt for a few years in their A-body's. Olds may have as well, Id have to go through my bins of seatbelts to see what I have such belts tagged as coming out of.

Unfortunately (sometime fortunately), on eBay, as well as in many other selling venues including here, will run across sellers that have no clue what the part goes on, or theyre simply trying to make a quick sale.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:50 AM

Thanks for that information! That makes it a lot easier for me since mine have the basic Black plastic covers. Out of curiosity where you able to order custom seat belts separately or did they come with a particular "package" or upgrade? Just seems like it would be the last thing I would think about if I could go back and order a new Judge now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Standard belts for a '68-71 GTO/A-body are the common style with the plastic covers... several different original suppliers.

Custom seat belts were an option, these are the ones with brushed stainless buckles, typicallly made by Irvin. with Custom belts there were a combination of normal size & smaller buckle/male ends which made up the set, not so with plastic cover standard belts.

Another style... the standard belt sets in many '69 GP's & Bonnevilles had a black heavily textured steel faced buckle. Believe Buick also used ths style of standard seat belt for a few years in their A-body's. Olds may have as well, Id have to go through my bins of seatbelts to see what I have such belts tagged as coming out of.

Unfortunately (sometime fortunately), on eBay, as well as in many other selling venues including here, will run across sellers that have no clue what the part goes on, or theyre simply trying to make a quick sale.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The belts in my 68 which were original to the car, used smaller buckles for the lap belt, and larger buckles for the shoulder belt. The rear seat used the larger buckles also.
Can't remember what my 69 had, as back then no one even used them !

68 GTO
Old 07-15-2019, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Custom Belts were offered as a stand alone option but there were several variations offered for 69 GTO's...

431 was custom belts with front shoulder strap, it cost $12.64 on a hardtop and $36.86 in a convertible (it cost more in a convertible because convertibles didn't have shoulder belts as standard equipment like hardtops did)
432 was custom belts with frt & rr shoulder belts, it cost $38.97 for hardtops and $63.19 for convertibles
434 was custom belts with no shoulder straps, it cost $10.53 and was only available on convertibles
For $23.17 you could order basic front shoulder straps, only on convertible of course.

A new deluxe belt feature for 69 on all Pontiac's (except the Firebird) was that the two outer front seat lap belts were self adjusting and a smaller size. 69 deluxe buckles are a bit taller than the 68 's but early 69 cars used the 68 style buckle.

Also up till jan 1 69 these self adjusting belts had a release knob on the re-tractor body.

First pic is of a standard buckle as used on A and F models as standard equipment, most were black but some gold and blue interior cars had them color coded. (all red and green interior cars had black).

Second pic is of the standard buckle used on B and G cars, they all were black.

Third pic is of deluxe belt buckles, the smaller one is the self adjusting front lap belt and the larger would be what was used for front centerlap, rear lap and all shoulder buckles. These deluxe belts were color keyed to dashboard color on all interior choices. The 69 firebird did not use the self adjusting feature (no room for re-tractor I guess).

Forth picture shows the release knob seen on early production deluxe belts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-12-13 001.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	515804   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-12-24 022.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	515805   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-03 003.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	515806   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-19 073.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	515809  

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 07-15-2019, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A safety note is that the tongues on deluxe and standard belts are different and shouldn't be mixed with non-matching buckles.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 07-15-2019, 08:41 PM

More great info!
Looks like I have the standard black belts.
The shoulder strap fits into the buckle that I use for the lap belt so i assume I just need to match it and I should bee all set
Thanks to everyone for your help and knowledge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
Custom Belts were offered as a stand alone option but there were several variations offered for 69 GTO's...

431 was custom belts with front shoulder strap, it cost $12.64 on a hardtop and $36.86 in a convertible (it cost more in a convertible because convertibles didn't have shoulder belts as standard equipment like hardtops did)
432 was custom belts with frt & rr shoulder belts, it cost $38.97 for hardtops and $63.19 for convertibles
434 was custom belts with no shoulder straps, it cost $10.53 and was only available on convertibles
For $23.17 you could order basic front shoulder straps, only on convertible of course.

A new deluxe belt feature for 69 on all Pontiac's (except the Firebird) was that the two outer front seat lap belts were self adjusting and a smaller size. 69 deluxe buckles are a bit taller than the 68 's but early 69 cars used the 68 style buckle.

Also up till jan 1 69 these self adjusting belts had a release knob on the re-tractor body.

First pic is of a standard buckle as used on A and F models as standard equipment, most were black but some gold and blue interior cars had them color coded. (all red and green interior cars had black).

Second pic is of the standard buckle used on B and G cars, they all were black.

Third pic is of deluxe belt buckles, the smaller one is the self adjusting front lap belt and the larger would be what was used for front centerlap, rear lap and all shoulder buckles. These deluxe belts were color keyed to dashboard color on all interior choices. The 69 firebird did not use the self adjusting feature (no room for re-tractor I guess).

Forth picture shows the release knob seen on early production deluxe belts.