Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Riding lawn mowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by madokie View Post
a friend of mine has a backyard half full of riding mowers , he fixes them up and sells them , and does repair , and he wont touch a hydrostatic trans,,,takes too much time, and some parts are trans specific, takes a month to get the parts in and not cheap..he only swaps the trans out ..so if u get or have a riding mower w hydro trans get a extended warrenty,, or be ready for a big repair bill if it goes bad..anyone have 10 years or more on a hydro trans ???seems like Murf from the last post has about 20 on his..am i reading that right Murf?

Yes you are. I don’t know if I’m just lucky . Might be, cause I’m unlucky at everything else!
I do have a few friends with similar mowers and haven’t seen any real issues with them.
The first symptom the JD’s show is moving slower in reverse. This is due to a worn bushing on the pedal & linkage adjustment. I have never done mine but it could use it.
I’ve been very happy with it & I’m gonna go green again.

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Murf; 07-27-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
My JD x300 with the hydrostatic has cruise control. But, I rarely use it.
I have an x300 too. 400 hours on it and the hydro is hanging in there. I mow 2 acres and have a 44" snowblower (long driveway)

Old 07-28-2019, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Mike, just to let you know the Ariens has a welded deck comes in 42, 52, and 60 inch decks. I had my neighbor (which does lawn care for a living) go with me to look at the Ariens and he said all the critical stuff that his commercial grade Toro zero turn has the Ariens has too, just on a smaller scale.

Ariens and Gravely are the same company now, and either brand is identical except for color and stickers. The hydrostat on my Ariens lawn tractor was fine, as was the engine, the deck, which was stamped steel was rusting out hence the need for a new mower. Maybe I should put a wing on the old one, and use it for transportation at Norwalk, naw I already have one of those...………

Love the zero turn and it is soooo much faster than the old lawn tractor.
I took your advice and did a little more research on the entry level and next step or two up zero turn mowers. The Ariens Ikon series mowers do have a fabricated deck as you said. They look pretty nice. around 3K for a 42" with the fab deck and a Kohler twin. They also have Kawasaki engines about 2-3 HP lower for the same money. To be honest, The Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Robin Subaru engines run great, probably a little smoother than the Kohler's. But the problem is I am in this for the long haul and parts are always super expensive and only available for 5-7 years for the Japanese engines. That's just a show stopper for me. Also not crazy about the newer Kohler engines. So I looked pretty hard for a zero turn with a Briggs twin. Parts are available forever and I have had excellent service from many of them . Problem is Briggs and Stratton engines in these mowers are only available in the brands they own for the most part. Briggs owns, Snapper, Simplicity, Ferris. The Ferris mowers are more toward the commercial use and about 1K more for very similar models. The Simplicity and Snapper zero turn mowers are absolutely identical. Snapper is red, Simplicity is orange. Both are available with fabricated decks with lifetime warranties for about $300.00 more than the stamped sheet metal junk. Commercial B+S twins at 23 HP seem to be pretty standard. Still looking.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I took your advice and did a little more research on the entry level and next step or two up zero turn mowers. The Ariens Ikon series mowers do have a fabricated deck as you said. They look pretty nice. around 3K for a 42" with the fab deck and a Kohler twin. They also have Kawasaki engines about 2-3 HP lower for the same money. To be honest, The Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Robin Subaru engines run great, probably a little smoother than the Kohler's. But the problem is I am in this for the long haul and parts are always super expensive and only available for 5-7 years for the Japanese engines. That's just a show stopper for me. Also not crazy about the newer Kohler engines. So I looked pretty hard for a zero turn with a Briggs twin. Parts are available forever and I have had excellent service from many of them . Problem is Briggs and Stratton engines in these mowers are only available in the brands they own for the most part. Briggs owns, Snapper, Simplicity, Ferris. The Ferris mowers are more toward the commercial use and about 1K more for very similar models. The Simplicity and Snapper zero turn mowers are absolutely identical. Snapper is red, Simplicity is orange. Both are available with fabricated decks with lifetime warranties for about $300.00 more than the stamped sheet metal junk. Commercial B+S twins at 23 HP seem to be pretty standard. Still looking.
If you want to drive mine it wouldn't be a problem, I'll see you next weekend at Norwalk so we can talk then.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-29-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Yes you are. I don’t know if I’m just lucky . Might be, cause I’m unlucky at everything else!
I do have a few friends with similar mowers and haven’t seen any real issues with them.
The first symptom the JD’s show is moving slower in reverse. This is due to a worn bushing on the pedal & linkage adjustment. I have never done mine but it could use it.
I’ve been very happy with it & I’m gonna go green again.

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have two Ariens GT Hydros, one 14hp Kohler and one 18hp twin Kohler. Both are 80s models and never had a problem with the hydro system. I did get a leak in a hose on the twin so replaced all hoses and changed the hydro oil to synthetic and the pump now runs quieter. Early model Ariens had a Vickers pump, later they switched to Sunstrand units.
These old mowers are built tough and parts are still available

Old 07-30-2019, 06:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, gtorich, now that the grass is probably 2 feet high by now if you haven't got a mower yet, what did you buy?

No bigger than your yard is, I'd pay some kid to do it?
Around here, you can get your yard mowed for $50 a month, times 12 is $600 a year. Times 7 years is $4200, the price of a cheap zero turn.
Plus they do all the trimming, blowing clippings etc.
(me being cheap buy a $350 used rider and cut my own for 5/6 years)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-17-2020, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a new Husqvarna MT-61 mower. I've used it for 7 months now on 1 acre. Great mower, I can cut the lawn in about 30 minutes, amazing. It took the chore of cutting the lawn away.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:27 PM

In most cases I would agree on not buying an MTD

except for the 1980s models that used the B/S V twins in the industrial commercial series paired with the Eaton Hydro pump and Peerless transaxle.
Ours has been mowing for over 35 years now, The Eaton/ Peerless Hydro units Last....- nothing other than oil and filter changes over the years.

I think Ford, Cub Cadet, Simplicity, and JD also used the Eaton M series hydro units.

Not unheard of for new box store Hydro gear K 46's have problems before 300 hours

Old 07-13-2021, 08:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455dan View Post
In most cases I would agree on not buying an MTD

except for the 1980s models that used the B/S V twins in the industrial commercial series paired with the Eaton Hydro pump and Peerless transaxle.
Ours has been mowing for over 35 years now, The Eaton/ Peerless Hydro units Last....- nothing other than oil and filter changes over the years.

I think Ford, Cub Cadet, Simplicity, and JD also used the Eaton M series hydro units.

Not unheard of for new box store Hydro gear K 46's have problems before 300 hours
I have two JD's with K46's. One has around 500 hours and is now dedicated to snow duty. The other had 150 hours and mows. No issues

Old 07-13-2021, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Got a 90’s craftsman, don’t use it to mow, great work horse. Just went through it while parts are still around

Old 07-13-2021, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have one of those craftsman mowers, its probably from the 90's as well. The dang belt drive always jumps off, I ended up cutting the rear panel out for easy access, can put it back on in a few seconds now. I had to weld the deck a couple of times where it crapped out. A couple of years ago it wouldnt keep a belt on, and burnt up the bearings in one of the pulleys. I pulled the deck and it had rotted through at the mounting point and things were just floating. I have never really taken care of it, put oil in every once in awhile. BUT, it starts and runs great every time. Can sit all winter and then fire right up. I finally got a grasshopper zero turn a couple of years ago and now with the deck off the ole craftsman its my yard tractor.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by madokie View Post
a friend of mine has a backyard half full of riding mowers , he fixes them up and sells them , and does repair , and he wont touch a hydrostatic trans,,,takes too much time, and some parts are trans specific, takes a month to get the parts in and not cheap..he only swaps the trans out ..so if u get or have a riding mower w hydro trans get a extended warrenty,, or be ready for a big repair bill if it goes bad..anyone have 10 years or more on a hydro trans ???seems like Murf from the last post has about 20 on his..am i reading that right Murf?
?????

We use only John Deere, and then the higher series (300, and 400 series rather than 100 and 200), So no comment on the cheaper mowers

Have over 2000 hours on at least two (one of which has a front blade and cab, and use for a snow plow), more than a 1000 on two more.

Knock on wood, to date NEVER a hydrostatic transmission failure!

I would prefer the standard transmission simply because when I have done fuel consumption analysis, the standard transmission models with the same rated horsepower have more usable power and use less fuel. The problem with the standard transmission models is that the magnetic clutch general must be replaced between 1000 and 1500 hours.

EDIT: just reread your comment about 10 years. The NEWEST model about which I posted is a 2003 (the snow-plow with over 2000 hours is a 1981), so yes, have several with 10 years and hydrostat.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by My442 View Post
NEVER EVER buy a Cub Cadet with a Kohler engine.

Not reliable..
Hmmm. My almost 35-40 year old fleet of Cubs with Kohlers would disagree.

All have over 1200 hours on the clock each. None smoke, none leak, and all cut the grass well.

These were $4k plus new back then, and were QUALITY, which you will not find today unless you pay $12k and up. ALL STEEL construction, with the exception of the dash panel cover.

These used a Sunstrand hydro unit, coupled to an automotive style ring gear diff. These are trouble free as long as the filter and HY-TRAN oil are changed when they are supposed to be. After 1997, Cubs are just like all of the other MTD trash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trio2.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	569804   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil1.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	569805  

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Last edited by 77 Canamman; 07-15-2021 at 07:44 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 77 Canamman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2021, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice looking line up of Cubs. Pop had a big hydro that he traded in on the grasshopper I have now. I still have the 1970 model Cub that he bought new. Its on my to do restore list.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2021, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Got a cub leaf vac, it’s awesome.
Here’s the Sears, the steel sleeved motor, runs strong. All I need is a nOS seat, getting one. I Fixed a long list the PO did to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	569812  

Last edited by burd; 07-15-2021 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just picked up a 1969 JD 112.........this baby might get a reel mower one day

Old 07-15-2021, 11:16 AM
Senior Chief

Used to have a 5 hp Pony that would do wheelstands. Now have a service.

Old 07-15-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
I just picked up a 1969 JD 112.........this baby might get a reel mower one day
So the 112 a slightly wider version of the 110

Pretty neat, similar to the Movie "Straight Story" 110 john Deere

Old 07-15-2021, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since I'm getting ready next week to take possession of my new to me property, and I now will have almost 4 acres of lawn, I'm going to study a gang reel mower system so I don't have to spend 3 hours with the zero turn mowing it.

The 7 place gang reel mowers I've looked at says you can cut 4 acres in 1 hour, reducing my cutting time by 66%......

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-15-2021, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What brands are you looking at? I have worked on a few Locke golf turf mowers. They are mechanical works of art. May not be in business anymore. Complicated and tons of adjustments, but cut like velvet if you have a smooth lawn with really good turf.