Old 08-18-2019, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Old Guy Learns Something Else New

Most of what I learned about Pontiacs & racing, I learned from experience--trial & lots of errors. Didn't have any Pontiac forums or Google to ask.

Well, I could have asked here & got the answer. But, I didn't. I needed a 3/8 hose barb, to screw into my Carter mechanical fuel pump. I just assumed it would require 3/8 pipe threads. WRONG !

Back in the old days, I'd have just got a piece of steel line, with the flare nut, out of an old pump, & cut the line to the length I wanted. Had plenty of 'em layin around the shop. But, I don't have a shop full of parts now.

So, I went to our local hardware/building supply store & picked up a barb with 3/8 pipe threads. It appeared to be the correct diameter. But, it would not screw into the pump, tho the threads on both, looked perfect. Got one of the guys there to help me. He couldn't find anything that would fit either.

So, I went to NAPA. Thought maybe since they sold auto parts, they'd have what I needed. Wrong again. The barbs they had, also had pipe threads. I got the guy to get out his set of taps, to see if maybe it had metric threads or just what. After trying a few, the 5/8"-18 tap screwed right in.

So, just to confirm, I went back to the hardware store & got the guy to look for a 5/8"-18 bolt. He finally found one, in a bolt assortment, in a metal box, on a high shelf. It screwed right in.

So, I looked online to see if I could find a 3/8 barb, with 5/8-18 threads. Apparently they are not in high demand. Every site had 'em with several pipe thread sizes. Finally found a site that had 'em, cheap. BUT, the shipping was over $15.

After wording the search in lots of different ways, I finally found that Advance Auto Parts stocked 'em at some of my area stores. So, I bought one online, with the 25% discount, to be picked up at the store. We were going to Monroe tomorrow anyhow. So, I'll pick it up then.

Just curious. Did most all Pontiac factory fuel pumps have the 5/8-18 threads size ? How about other GM manual pumps ?

I assume that most any parts store could order one of 'em, if they knew how to look 'em up. Anyhow, in case anybody reading this needs to buy one, & have trouble locating it, here's the one I bought.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...m_content=ITEM

That one cost me just over $4, total. I'm sure they are probably available cheaper, somewhere else. But, that's the best I could do, yesterday. If some of you guys know where to buy one cheaper, please post that info. It might help somebody here. And, I'd like to know about it, just to have the info. I never expected it to be that hard to find.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you sure you dont need a 3/8" flare barb? https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/38-836.html

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.

Last edited by TedRamAirII; 08-18-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Never had that problem. When I installed my last Edelbrock fuel pump on my 326 I just went to napa and got two nipples that screwed right in. They had the right there in the drawer for less than a buck. Yep just looked at your Advanced Auto link. That’s what Edelbrock takes. Napa had them in the drawer.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post

Just curious. Did most all Pontiac factory fuel pumps have the 5/8-18 threads size ? How about other GM manual pumps ?
5/8"-18 is the thread size of a 3/8" inverted flare nut. It's what fits fuel pumps and carburetor factory 3/8ths hard lines.

Parts stores use to keep 3/8" steel tubing, in different lengths, with a flare and nut on each end.

This new pump not got the flare down in the hole?

Clay

Last edited by "QUICK-SILVER"; 08-19-2019 at 05:34 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
5/8"-18 is the thread size of a 3/8" inverted flare nut. It's what fits fuel pumps and carburetor factory 3/8ths hard lines.

Parts stores use to keep 3/8" steel tubing, in different lengths, with a flare and nut on each end.

Clay
Yeah, it's got the flare down. But I don't have any 3/8 tubing with a flared end, & no longer have a flare tool. Back in the old days, I bought several of those pieces of 3/8 tubing with a flare on each end, & 2 nuts. I think they were 6" long. I'd cut 'em in half & have 2 pieces to use, for connecting rubber fuel hose.

I realize that most everybody recommends fancy AN fuel lines/fittings nowadays. But, I still use alum line, rubber hose, & 1/2" wide hose clamps. Worked in the '70's-'80's, and still works today.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Never had that problem. When I installed my last Edelbrock fuel pump on my 326 I just went to napa and got two nipples that screwed right in. They had the right there in the drawer for less than a buck. Yep just looked at your Advanced Auto link. That’s what Edelbrock takes. Napa had them in the drawer.
Yeah, well my NAPA guy pulled out all his fittings drawers & didn't find anything that would fit. Also didn't offer to look up anything that might fit, even after he found out what the thread size was.

I'd really be interested in knowing the brand & part number of those nipples you bought, for less than $1. I can't imagine NAPA selling a brass nipple for less than $1.

Just did a NAPA search for 3/8 hose barbs, They show only 1/4" & 3/8" NPT threads.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search...ualified=false

So, maybe your local NAPA store stocks some that are not available online. Don't know.

Here's one for $2.93 with $14.95 for shipping.

https://agscompany.com/product/brass...8-18-inverted/

Last edited by ponyakr; 08-19-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Edelbrocks are pipe thread and the original delcos and carters had the fitting for the steel line.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Carter "hi perf" has pipe threads -just put one on the 65 GTO a few months ago.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 08-19-2019, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAQuest View Post
The Edelbrocks are pipe thread and the original delcos and carters had the fitting for the steel line.
^^^ What he said. Edelbrock is 3/8 NPT.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...1713/overview/

Old 08-19-2019, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A push lock hose fitting may do the trick. Push lock hose makes excellent fuel line also.
Any hydraulic hose shop should have what you need. You may need two fittings.
Or buy a short length of brake line and cut to make nipples with inverted flare ends.
You need straight or 90's?

Look up the edleman brass, weatherhead (Eaton?) or parker hose, etc catalogs.

...Or call this shop and ask for the part #.
https://www.tshco.net/

Old 08-19-2019, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Most all of the auto parts stores had something that would have worked.
But they all don't hire quality people who have worked in the trades or even competent to work on their own cars.
They have no idea what they are even looking for.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
Most of what I learned about Pontiacs & racing, I learned from experience--trial & lots of errors. Didn't have any Pontiac forums or Google to ask.

Well, I could have asked here & got the answer. But, I didn't. I needed a 3/8 hose barb, to screw into my Carter mechanical fuel pump. I just assumed it would require 3/8 pipe threads. WRONG !

Back in the old days, I'd have just got a piece of steel line, with the flare nut, out of an old pump, & cut the line to the length I wanted. Had plenty of 'em layin around the shop. But, I don't have a shop full of parts now.

So, I went to our local hardware/building supply store & picked up a barb with 3/8 pipe threads. It appeared to be the correct diameter. But, it would not screw into the pump, tho the threads on both, looked perfect. Got one of the guys there to help me. He couldn't find anything that would fit either.

So, I went to NAPA. Thought maybe since they sold auto parts, they'd have what I needed. Wrong again. The barbs they had, also had pipe threads. I got the guy to get out his set of taps, to see if maybe it had metric threads or just what. After trying a few, the 5/8"-18 tap screwed right in.

So, just to confirm, I went back to the hardware store & got the guy to look for a 5/8"-18 bolt. He finally found one, in a bolt assortment, in a metal box, on a high shelf. It screwed right in.

So, I looked online to see if I could find a 3/8 barb, with 5/8-18 threads. Apparently they are not in high demand. Every site had 'em with several pipe thread sizes. Finally found a site that had 'em, cheap. BUT, the shipping was over $15.

After wording the search in lots of different ways, I finally found that Advance Auto Parts stocked 'em at some of my area stores. So, I bought one online, with the 25% discount, to be picked up at the store. We were going to Monroe tomorrow anyhow. So, I'll pick it up then.

I assume that most any parts store could order one of 'em, if they knew how to look 'em up. Anyhow, in case anybody reading this needs to buy one, & have trouble locating it, here's the one I bought.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...m_content=ITEM

That one cost me just over $4, total. I'm sure they are probably available cheaper, somewhere else. But, that's the best I could do, yesterday. If some of you guys know where to buy one cheaper, please post that info. It might help somebody here. And, I'd like to know about it, just to have the info. I never expected it to be that hard to find.

What Carter MECH you running?

The carter mechanical pumps (M6907)I’ve run always used a 1/4 NPT....so you would use a 1/4 npt male x barb fitting if desired

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile
Old 08-19-2019, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post

Clay
Thanks. Saved me a lot of typing.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, picked up the barb today. Perfect fit. Does have the inverted flare, to mate with the pump.

Package also had some crossover numbers. I Googled 'em.

Edelmann 821660

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...BoC6vAQAvD_BwE

Weatherhead 1570

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/WH_05706B1570

Dorman 785-408

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-785-408

Can't find anything showing that these other brands have 5/8"-18 threads. So, I'm not certain they do. Anybody know ?

Some specs show "3/8" inverted flare". So, I've found nothing, so far, that confirms that any of these other brands have the 5/8"-18 threads, in spite of the crossover part numbers on the package I bought. The one I bought has "5/8-18 Inverted Thread Male", right on the package label.

So, I'll ask again. Does anybody have a brand & part number, other than the part I bought, which you know, for sure, has the 5/8"-18 inverted flare ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hose Barb .jpg
Views:	139
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	518200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossover Numbers .jpg
Views:	129
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	518201  

Last edited by ponyakr; 08-19-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oooooooooo.............sorry; now I get it.......stock Carter pump.......been a looooooooong time since I even thought of that style

Yes, should be a 5/8 18 inverted flare

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile
Old 08-19-2019, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Forgot to add:

Back when I messed with those, I remember having to flare my own 3/8 tube by using a 5/8-18 to 3/8 tube nut. Cut/bend tubing how you want and put a bubble on it to hold a hose if you like.

Basically custom fitting, easy to do. You can find pre made 5/8-18 to 3/8 barbs, they are just not common.

Looked like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fitting-Ada...gAAOSw3AFcw4q8

Old 08-19-2019, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did a little searching. Inline tube sells pre-made 3/8" x 5/8"-18 flared tubing, with nuts. Was lookin for a straight 6" piece, similar to what I use to buy. Closest thing I found, so far, is an 8" piece, with a short 90° bend on one end.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Fuel-Li...-/191920907293

Went to the Inline tube site. Could only find listings for complete full length OEM length/shape lines. Maybe if somebody else knows how to better navigate the site they can find a straight 6" or 8" piece. You can make 2 hose connections with it. I prefer the barb I bought. But, others may prefer a piece of tubing, with flare nut.

Last edited by ponyakr; 08-19-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, here's a straight, pre-flared, 6" tube, with 2 nuts, similar to what I use to buy.

But, with shipping, it's almost $9.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Fuel-Li...EAAOSwi6JaoY0m

Maybe one of the parts stores has one a little cheaper. But, so far, I haven't found any online.

Anybody have a part number/source, for a cheaper one ?

Last edited by ponyakr; 08-19-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

NAPA has a whole display of straight inverted flare 3/8" tubing in at least a half dozen different lengths. At our local store it's right behind the counter. I buy it here and make my own fuel lines when customers bring vehicles here where it's been cut with a hacksaw and rubber hose slipped over it and clamped.....very dangerous.

I use and recommend using a solid metal line on the pressure side of the pump. Rubber hose and clamps doesn't cut it these days, especially the way this new fuel rots anything made of rubber.......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 08-20-2019, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

" NAPA has a whole display of straight inverted flare 3/8" tubing in at least a half dozen different lengths..."

Anybody know exactly how to call up any of these, online ?

I went to the NAPA site & couldn't come up with any, no matter how I worded the search.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search...ualified=false