Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-19-2019, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I realise that this thread is going in another direction right now, but this, made me laugh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebob View Post
I've run CVR, IMI, MSD Dyna Force and am currently running a Powermaster mini. All of them worked fine for me till they quit. ...
LOL

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 08-19-2019, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Hey bright boy, lets line them up and see who knows what and bring your canuck crew chief with you. LOL

Oh, and bring your cash. LMMFAO!!!!!
If we were betting, on actually being correct, you'd already be broke many times over.

When you look at tires that were just mounted and start posting BS about the car having and alignment problem - you lose all credibility.

You can rant all you want about me (having been) a parts pusher.

I covered southern MN and northern IA working for a warehouse distributor calling on new and used car dealers, fleets and independent repair shop owners who were looking for quality OE parts for their customers - from ACDelco, Motorcraft, Mopar, Hyundai and Kia.

I wasn't dealing with random know nothings (but act like you know it all) like you coming into a box store looking for the cheapest parts available.

I sold more parts to many of my customers in a week than you typically buy in a year.

I value their opinion of my expertise much more than your's. They kept buying products from me for 10 years because I knew what I was doing.

You just keep dogging me because I have caught you in so many mistatements of fact that you don't like me anymore...

Old 08-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Suspended

I get more dirt and grease under my fingernails in 1 week than you have in 20 years. I don't write checks for work on my cars or to go fast. You write checks for work on your cars and you do not even go fast. Let me know when you are ready to put money where your mouth is.

Until then, you're just a parts pusher giving lip service.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Until then, you're just a parts pusher ...
... said the guy constantly pushing his NOS parts.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ok guys.

can we let this argument die please?

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 08-19-2019, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
ok guys.

can we let this argument die please?
I said my piece after being provoked twice in this thread. I'm done with the blowhard.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All I know is The Champ insulted me about expecting summit to do something for me when the starter was 6 months out of warranty. That was because of a situation beyond my control (unexpected dental work and build time) it’s not like I had been driving this car for 18 months the car left me stranded and I called up and said hey your starter is a piece of **** send me another. The first guy I called when I was informed of the problem was a dick, period. He acted like the money for the replacement starter would be coming out of his pocket. That is not how you treat a customer whether they are first time or have been buying from you since 1997 and spent well over 100 grand including 14 crate engines. Anyway after I had time to process and took into consideration other people’s thoughts on a remote solenoid and people on here stating their personal experience with the summit starter I called Sunday, immediately asked to speak to someone with the authority to make yes/no decisions and within 10 minutes a new one was on the way. Don’t even have to send the old one back, told me to take it have it rebuilt and use it for a spare. That is customer service and what I EXPECT from a company I have done so much business with. Not a punk kid who sounds about 19 telling me to go jump in the lake before I even get the story out.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 08-20-2019, 01:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had a Summit starter forever. Works flawless. Shimmed with washers on a tilt, not starter shims, set to a 1/8" drill bit in the bottom of the tooth mesh.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
All I know is The Champ insulted me about expecting summit to do something for me when the starter was 6 months out of warranty.
This is an insult?

My post:

Quote:
Well, it was 6 months out of warranty. Why should they replace it when you exceeded the warranty by 50%?
There was no insult intended or stated. A simple statement of fact.

I'm sure Summit would love to see your "Summit starter not worth a damn" thread. Had they seen your post they probably would not have been so nice to you after the fact.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Actually, it worked fine. Three times. And then *something* happened.

While you were there, but it didn't fail while you were there. The starter in the video is struggling, a mini wouldn't fare much better. Kickback is more likely to occur at a lower rpm, like when the engine is barely turning over. Timing is BTDC, if a cylinder doesn't reach TDC before combustion does it's thing, which way do you think mister piston wants to go? (hint, it's not like he has a choice) And here's that pesky starter still trying to go in the opposite direction.

Starters are tough, but they simply cannot compete against an engine's output. Something had to yield.
This! Even if the Summit starter was "not worth a damn" having the teeth ripped off the gear indicates that something was very wrong. As many others have noted, and from my personal experience with them, the Summit starters are actually pretty decent pieces.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 08-20-2019, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Summit is solid but there is a saying, bad planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on someone else's. Probably wod have been better to let the situation play out before reacting and posting stuff that will cost the company money.

14 crate engines and 100 grand hey

Old 09-02-2019, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I got Summit to do the right thing for a long term customer and that is swap out the unit. I felt bad afterward and asked the local rebuilder how much to just rebuild the one I had. He charged me 30 bucks including new bendix gear so I just sent the starter back to Summit with a thanks. Now if I can just get this thing shimmed

Old 09-02-2019, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@blo View Post
Summit is solid but there is a saying, bad planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on someone else's. Probably wod have been better to let the situation play out before reacting and posting stuff that will cost the company money.

14 crate engines and 100 grand hey
Yes I’ve bought 14 crate motors. Used to be really heavy into 58-64 Chevrolet full-size cars. The basic 195 HP Chevy that is 1499 is a perfect motor for these cars for just getting them going and cruising and you damn sure can’t build one for that. I am an hour and a half from a summit store so I would just go and pick them up. Plus I have bought them for 73-87 squarebody trucks. I didn’t say I was buying ramjets and 572s. And yes I’m sure if you added up how much I have spent with them in the last 22 years it would be well in excess of 100 grand, I would venture to say maybe 200 grand. When I got divorced in 2009 one of the things my wife alleged was that I had a spending problem and had squandered HER funds that had been funneled to cars and car parts. At her attorneys request I submitted paperwork showing where some money had gone and what cars I’d had. I called summit and asked them if they kept a rolling tab of money spent and they said they didn’t keep a “total” but they knew everything you ever purchased. I asked if I could have a copy and after some back and forth they said sure. From 1997 to 2009 my “Summit Report” was 56 pages long. I did not submit that for court review LOL

Old 09-02-2019, 01:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
I have had a Summit starter forever. Works flawless. Shimmed with washers on a tilt, not starter shims, set to a 1/8" drill bit in the bottom of the tooth mesh.
Just reading back. This is the answer I was looking for. Will tinker tomorrow

Old 09-02-2019, 03:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One lock washer set it perfect

Old 09-03-2019, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a RobbMc starter used about 10 years ago and had a problem that I don't remember. I sent to RobbMc and they fixed it for free. And they installed a pinion support. They have great customer service. What I like about their starter is that you can rotate it so the solenoid is below the motor and away from the headers or manifold pipes.

041 cam with Rhoads lifters 1.65 rockers
RPM rods
800 Cliffs Q Jet on Holley Street Dominator
ST-10 4 speed (3.42 first)
w 2.73 rear gear

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

469th TFS Korat Thailand 1968-69 F-4E Muzzle 2
Old 09-04-2019, 12:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by track73 View Post
I bought a RobbMc starter used about 10 years ago and had a problem that I don't remember. I sent to RobbMc and they fixed it for free. And they installed a pinion support. They have great customer service. What I like about their starter is that you can rotate it so the solenoid is below the motor and away from the headers or manifold pipes.
This is the kind of service I was expecting and ultimately got because of my long standing history. It’s just like the DMV. I have veterans plates. First time I tried to get them the lady at the desk told me my DD-214 was illegible and she couldn’t issue the plate. I said the fact that I even have one shows I’m a ****ing veteran, she would not budge on the issue. Waited thirty minutes, came back, went to different counter and wasn’t there 10 minutes. Some employees act like it’s costing them money. The first time I called summit the rep could have sent me a starter.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
This is the kind of service I was expecting and ultimately got because of my long standing history. It’s just like the DMV. I have veterans plates. First time I tried to get them the lady at the desk told me my DD-214 was illegible and she couldn’t issue the plate. I said the fact that I even have one shows I’m a ****ing veteran, she would not budge on the issue. Waited thirty minutes, came back, went to different counter and wasn’t there 10 minutes. Some employees act like it’s costing them money. The first time I called summit the rep could have sent me a starter.
Curious, when you worked at Auto Zone and Advanced Auto did you give out new starters when the customer brought one in out of warrantee? Couldn't do it if you wanted to right?
I use those two quite a lot and it would be like Christmas to get something free out of warrantee. They just follow the rules. These parts retail workers are just drones putting in their time.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAQuest View Post
Curious, when you worked at Auto Zone and Advanced Auto did you give out new starters when the customer brought one in out of warrantee? Couldn't do it if you wanted to right?
I use those two quite a lot and it would be like Christmas to get something free out of warrantee. They just follow the rules. These parts retail workers are just drones putting in their time.
Yeah in the old days you could “defect” out anything you wanted to. That was back when everything had a lifetime warranty