Old 03-27-2014, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would run a better weight oil that would help you oil pressure.
And I wouldn't run synthetic either as it seems like it would get
passed the old type cork seals at the timing cover crank balancer.

GT.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I can tell you at idle the oil pressure gauge on the dash never gets above 15lbs. When running down the road it is about 35-40 lbs.
My experience exactly. And if you get the RPM up just a little above idle the pressure jumps right up where you want it. I know my bearings are on the loose side (about factory spec max) but I don't think that is where the problem is.

Push rods were always hollow so as to lube the top end against the rocker but that didn't move much oil. When the holes went in the rockers there was a lot more oil moving. Just try to adjust lifters hot and running and find out. ( I know that isn't the recommended method but we used to do it a lot.)

I did get a slight improvement in pressure by going to 14/40 but not much. Maybe 1 lb. And I always use Mobil 1. Now using the high mileage formula as it has more ZDDP in it. I tried conventional oil in the 10/30 viscosity I had been using. But it did not help so I went to the 10/40. Maybe I'll stay with the 10/40 because the bearings are a bit loose as the crank was polished but has std bearing inserts.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My '57 347 GMC (Pontiac) V8 ran about those pressures for 22 years and over 130,000 miles of daily driving. Maybe down to 10 PSI at 500 RPM idle in really hot weather with the A/C going.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueghoast View Post
I of course still have the rope rear main seal, but I Had the timing cover machined out to do the new style crank seal. (Bill Hanlon thank you). I am also running one of those oil filter adapter plates also. I do notice that if my oil level gets a little low the oil pressure lowers.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJVAUGHANS View Post
I do notice that if my oil level gets a little low the oil pressure lowers.
That's because the oil is warmer. Smaller amount of oil dissipating the same amount of heat.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:28 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueghoast View Post

GT.
I keep thinking this old wives tale has been put to rest.

every other time I had a leak I blamed the gasket. funny that. way back when, when the gasket and seals were newer and synthetic was not yet on the market .

Old 03-09-2019, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56-Chief View Post
My 56 Chieftain has the original 2bbl 317 in it. From what I'd read before it seems like it was a pretty solid engine. Ran into a couple guys at a car show this weekend, both owners of some mid-50's Pontiacs, and both said the 317 would give me problems eventually (specifically the lifters). Granted these were street rodders and they advocated putting an LS style engine into it, but I thought I'd try to find some more information on this and some searches on here didn't turn up anything.

The engine will be rebuilt when I do the front end but. Anything I should look for in the way or upgrades or problem areas on it?
This LS mentality is out of hand.

Build the 317! Notably for its small main journals and reverse flow cooling.

1972+ Lucerne Blue 4-door hardtop "what if" T-41 Le Mans Sport GT/Grand Am concepts. Equipped with future 3" journal "455 HO"/"what if" prototype "SD 455".
What if GM had continued production of the 1970-72 GM A body somewhere in the southern hemisphere?
Old 03-09-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Willinger View Post
This LS mentality is out of hand.

Build the 317! Notably for its small main journals and reverse flow cooling.
He hasn't been here since 2014, chances are he won't see your reply...