Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 12-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default What should I do.. Purchased 67 GTO PUI interior kit... missing upper rear arm rests

I purchased a PUI interior kit for a 67 GTO Convertible, Parchment interior, many years ago. I recovered the front and rear seats at the time of purchase. They look great and have been in storage for twenty years, never in the car.
I started to recover the rear arm rests last week only to learn that the kit is missing the upper rear arm rest vinyl for both sides. The Parchment vinyl pieces that are for the panels that cover the hydraulic rams are missing. They are the upper most piece of the two piece armrest.
Can I purchase just these two pieces or Do you recommend that I dye the old covers to match.
I have 5 different sets-- two black sets, two red sets, and an aqua set. Which set would take Parchment dye the best?
The Parchment has a lot of metal flake to it and I want a great match.
What should I do?
Also I need to paint some metal interior surfaces Parchment -- I believe the top of the doors and the windshield posts. Do I use the same color Parchment? What other surfaces need to be parchment?

Old 12-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

The rear armrest covers are available in a set of 4 under part # A150APC "M27 Parchment". If you were to dye them you could use VDM27 for the dye "Confirm PUI color code first". You could use any of the colored panels you have but it is recommended you use a white like VDM37 as a base coat first on darker colors.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you
I would prefer to die the old upper armrests as I already have the lowers, new. Will the dye do well or is there issues with dying the old?
As far as the lowers, do you recommend recovering right over the old Vinyl. Or removing the old vinyl first. Do I need new foam material that is underneath the vinyl?
What Paint (color code) is used on the interior painted parts to match the Parchment?
Do you recommend a spray can and what parts need to be painted Parchment. I know a lot of the interior is black.
Is it a 60 degree black?
Please advise.
Thank you.
Mark

Old 12-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4abuygto View Post
Thank you
I would prefer to die the old upper armrests as I already have the lowers, new. Will the dye do well or is there issues with dying the old?
As far as the lowers, do you recommend recovering right over the old Vinyl. Or removing the old vinyl first. Do I need new foam material that is underneath the vinyl?
What Paint (color code) is used on the interior painted parts to match the Parchment?
Do you recommend a spray can and what parts need to be painted Parchment. I know a lot of the interior is black.
Is it a 60 degree black?
Please advise.
Thank you.
Mark
Dying the old vinyl is fine just make sure they are cleaned appropriately.

You will need to remove the old vinyl, You could reuse the old padding if you wish depending on if it is savable.

The VDM 27 Is the PUI parchment dye for 1967 which is solid in a aerosol can.

The carpet,console,kick panels and dash will all be black. They would be 60 degree except for the metal piece of the dash between the pad and windshield that would be 0 degree to prevent glaze.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you for the information. Is the color match from the aerosol can a good match to the new vinyl. Or, will there be a noticeable difference?
What interior parts are painted parchment in the convertible. Is the same aerosol paint used for that?
Let me know.
Thank you for your help.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:58 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4abuygto View Post
Thank you for the information. Is the color match from the aerosol can a good match to the new vinyl. Or, will there be a noticeable difference?
What interior parts are painted parchment in the convertible. Is the same aerosol paint used for that?
Let me know.
Thank you for your help.
Our dye is based off from PUI colors so it will match very closely with there product. All other items of the interior except what I mentioned are parchment.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was reading that you can use the dye as a metal paint with a different prep for the metal as far as a base primer. I know the vinyl color has some metal flake to it and, I believe the metal painted parts are just a straight Parchment color. Can the dye be used for the metal areas also, or is that a different color all together?
Let me know.
Thanks
Mark

Old 12-18-2015, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No - the vinyl dye won't work for your steel parts.

When we restored my car, the interior parts were repainted with fresh parchment- the steel strip running from The a pillar to the back seat, and the back of the a pillar.

Dashboard is black. Can't help you with paint codes, but they shouldn't be too hard to look up.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cars with Parchment interiors never had the steel parts painted Parchment. These parts were painted Cameo Ivory, and as-built, did NOT match the seat covers, and were never intended to.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Cars with Parchment interiors never had the steel parts painted Parchment. These parts were painted Cameo Ivory, and as-built, did NOT match the seat covers, and were never intended to.
True - and now I know the correct paint name!

Old 12-19-2015, 05:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks guys for your input,
Does anyone have the paint code number for the Parchment (Cameo Ivory) paint for the interior metal surfaces for these cars?
It is a convertible so I will be painting the "Cameo Ivory" above the door panels and the windshield post-- any where else?
Thanks guys.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am assuming the door jams are body color. Where is the paint line for the door jams?

Old 12-23-2015, 06:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It Doesn't look like I will be able to reuse the foam backing for the rear armrests.
Where can I get the foam backing that goes underneath the vinyl covers for the rear arm rests. Can I get it at most any fabric store? What is it called? How thick is it?----
I decided to just buy the covers so all matches - I also need the Parchment convertible visors (I have black), and the Parchment front arm rests. It looks like I will be buying these all new from our host.
Please advise on the questions.
I appreciate all input.
Thank you
Mark

Old 12-23-2015, 06:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

By the time I purchase the cleaner, prep, White Dye, and Parchment dye, I will be close to the cost of the new covers.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:51 PM

Default ron65 cat

THE PUI kit dosent come with with the rear arm rests and piston covers they are avalible from AMES.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am bringing this post back to life as I am still looking at options and am looking at completing my new convertible interior and install within the next several months. I am looking at dying the existing black convertible sun visors in leu of buying new. I have the interior put together but I am at the point of either buying new or dying the upper rear armrests and sun visors.
It sounds like the vinyl dye will do fine if I dye the white first (2coats), then 1 coat of the parchment.
The sun visors and rear armrests are black now - how much dye will it take to cover these 4 items. Will 2 twelve once cans of the white and one of the parchment be enough?
What do you suggest to clean up the existing black to make it ready for the new dye?
What is the process so the new dye will adhere and be right.
They mention only one coat of the parchment over the white base- is it really easy to over spray the Parchment so it doesn't look right?
How much time do i allow between the rattle can coats and colors?
All of the other interior parts have brand new parchment covering installed.
Do the sun visors cover well with the vinyl dye?

Old 02-04-2019, 06:27 PM
Senior Chief

Sunvisors should be black with parchment interior. I've never seen parchment sunvisors in a GTO. I believe all the white/parchment/pearl interiors in GTOs had the carpet, dash, consoles, and sunvisors colored black.

68 GTO convertible
YS M40, A/C, PS, PB-disc, Posi-T, PW, P-seat, AM-FM stereo 8-track,
P-ant, P-trunk lid, Tilt-S, Rally gauges, Hideaways
C1 224 Triple white
Old 02-04-2019, 09:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk68 View Post
Sunvisors should be black with parchment interior. I've never seen parchment sunvisors in a GTO. I believe all the white/parchment/pearl interiors in GTOs had the carpet, dash, consoles, and sunvisors colored black.
are you talking about convertibles because my 65 with parchment has parchment visors and headliner

Old 02-05-2019, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72pontiac View Post
are you talking about convertibles because my 65 with parchment has parchment visors and headliner
My visors are parchment as well.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have looked at many photos of 67 convertible GTOs and have not seen any parchment interiors with black sun visors - they all seem to have parchment.
Has anyone dyed them from black to parchment- how many cans of dye do I need?
Or should I just purchase new for approximately $100.00/set.