Old 01-06-2019, 08:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1957 Star Chief

Hi everyone. My small collection might dictate something differently, but my heart has always been with Pontiac's. Very soon, I may have the opportunity to look at a 1957 Star Chief 4d ht. Judging by the pics which sometimes can be deceiving, it looks to be in decent shape. They claim no rust. The body looks straight. The speedometer is stuck all the way across with the red liquid. Would that be a mercury type product?? The driver seat seams appear to be coming apart. They look like leather?? I can't tell much more about the car based on pics only. I friend told me about it and he took some pics with his i-phone. Apparently this ladies husband, the previous owner died, and she wants to sell the car. This is all hearsay to me but I think it's accurate. I'm waiting to see if it's ok to call her about this car. I always have an interest in looking at anything, but purchasing I'm obviously not sure of at this point. My father had one of these and I really liked that car alot. I am somewhat in the market for a 4d ht if I was to buy one, so this just might fit in. I'm trying to learn and research these cars as much as possible before getting serious if that even happens. I know a few things to look for, such as rust in the area of the "B" pillar where the front door locks to and the rear door is hinged to, if with 12" of this pillar, stay away. I'm also told to make sure all the chrome is there because some pieces might be difficult to get. I'm mainly concerned about rear quarter pieces and the "spear", but I don't have any pics yet of that area. I'm very limited to my knowledge of what else I might be looking at or concerned with/red flag for this particular year/model and I'm seeking some guidance and direction. If I was to buy this car, I would want to make it safe and drive-able; at least for now. I'm not sure how much money I would invest in it for restoration, but I don't want it to look like crap either. Based on the few pics I have, I would say it's in fair to borderline good condition. It is presently registered and garaged. I'm assuming it's drive-able. I do think it would need paint, but maybe not right away. As probably with most, if not all cars, the prices are all over the charts. I see on line some done over nicely anywhere between $19,000.00 and $30,000.00. These would be 2d ht's which I think command for money. About 2 years ago or so, I saw at a tv Mecum Auction, a 1957 Pontiac, which looked great, go for $14,000.00. I thought that was a great buy for someone. I tell you what, if I was there, that car would have gone home with me. So there you have it and that's all I know at this time. Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thank you very much, Carmine.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The speedometer needle isn't really in fluid. It is a round drum that spins. The same as a 1956-1957 Buick.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Would something like that be hard to fix?? Thanks, Carmine.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'57 trim and other do dads are not to hard to come by, lots of support out there. Great chrome and fixing the steering wheel are big money. Make sure to have an experienced person look at it. 18K should buy a very nice, show quality 4Dr HT.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 01-06-2019, 04:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 694.1 View Post
'57 trim and other do dads are not to hard to come by, lots of support out there. Great chrome and fixing the steering wheel are big money. Make sure to have an experienced person look at it. 18K should buy a very nice, show quality 4Dr HT.
Great. Thank you for your response. That price is very encouraging. It's about what I would be willing to spend on one that doesn't need much. I don't expect a pristine car for that price, but I don't want to overpay for something requiring more work then expected either, Carmine.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:25 PM

Hi Carmine, there always seem to be lots of exterior trim for sale on ebay for these 57's, although the 4 door hardtop specific pieces are harder to find, as with the Chevy. 4 door stuff.

Even some interior stuff comes up occasionally, if you wait a bit. I have found that California Pontiac Restoration has a fair bit of '57 stock, but their prices are a bit steep.

Best of luck.

My 1957 Pontiac StarChief powered by a 5.3 LS with a 4L60E transmission, on 18" US Mags Big Slots.
Webmaster for the American Classic Car Club Auckland.
Visit us at www.americanclassiccars.org.nz
Old 01-06-2019, 09:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for your response. I'm in no rush at all. I'm just trying to be as knowledgeable and informed as possible, when I look at this car. I would like all the pieces to be with the car, regardless of condition, so at least I know what they look like and have something to work with. The sooner the better for me to see this car. As I previously mentioned, the car appears to be registered and I'm assuming operational. I would like to test drive it. We're going to get snow eventually, so I don't want to wait too long. The car is located about 45 minutes from me and I'm hoping if I have an interest, the owner will let me bring it to my garage where I have a lift. It's an absolute must for me to see the under carriage of this car. No better way then on a lift. I live in the rust belt and know nothing of this cars origin. I don't want a rust bucket, Carmine.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:24 AM
Senior Chief

Don't assume it's operational based on the registration. It may have been parked for a couple of months or a couple of years before the owner passed. Biggest first concern is the brakes.

My speedo was rebuilt by Bob's, and works great now, but I don't think you will be able to DIY that. Count on over $400 for that service.

Gas tanks are unavailable for these. I repaired mine, but would replace it if I could due to internal rust.

Love my '57 4D HT (Chieftain), and finally got it on the road in 2018.

Post some pictures when you get them.

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 01-07-2019, 01:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr67gp View Post
Don't assume it's operational based on the registration. It may have been parked for a couple of months or a couple of years before the owner passed. Biggest first concern is the brakes.

My speedo was rebuilt by Bob's, and works great now, but I don't think you will be able to DIY that. Count on over $400 for that service.

Gas tanks are unavailable for these. I repaired mine, but would replace it if I could due to internal rust.

Love my '57 4D HT (Chieftain), and finally got it on the road in 2018.

Post some pictures when you get them.
Thanks for that response. Good to know what is available and prices. 'mI going to call the owner shortly and will post with any info and pics, Carmine.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Model wise, base price new, what is the cheapest model and what is the most expensive?? Thanks.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Generally, 4 models (with varying number of doors and wagons) available in '57. Most were available with and without a B pillar. Models were Chieftan (least expensive), Super Chief, Star Chief and Bonneville (most expensive). Options added to a less expensive model could easily increase its price to more than an a next more expensive model without options. Here is the magic decoder ring. Bonneville isn't shown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	502175  

Old 01-07-2019, 10:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You said the seats look like leather. If they are, then it is a Star Chief. You can tell a lot about the car from the Fisher Body Data Plate, it tells the model number, where it was built, colors, upholstery, and some options that were originally installed. That plate will be on the firewall just under the rear of hood on passengers side (unless it has AC). I suggest getting a photo of it for reference.

Go to www.PontiacSafari.com and select " Pontiac Info". Near the top of the page, you'll find a link titled "Identification Tags". That link tells about decoding the Fisher Body Data Plate. Also on the "Pontiac Info" page", scroll down to links on 1957 Pontiacs. I think you will find several of those links that will help you learn about Pontiacs of that year.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I built a 1957 Chieftain 2dr ht a few years ago. Mechanical parts are easy to find. Most rubber parts and glass are the same as Chevy. Even some body parts are the same. I had plenty of stainless trim but needed the clips to mount it. I found almost all the clips for the 1957 Chieftain were the same as a 1956 Chevy.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate it. It's a Star Chief alright. Says so on the front fenders. The seam on the front seat, seat portion, not back, has a decent split in it. I've only seen a pic of it, so it's hard to tell, but I do believe it is leather and not vinyl or cloth. I shall see this afternoon, Carmine.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:28 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hanlon View Post
Generally, 4 models (with varying number of doors and wagons) available in '57. Most were available with and without a B pillar. Models were Chieftan (least expensive), Super Chief, Star Chief and Bonneville (most expensive). Options added to a less expensive model could easily increase its price to more than an a next more expensive model without options. Here is the magic decoder ring. Bonneville isn't shown.
Thanks for sharing this, Bill. Had not seen it before.

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 01-08-2019, 07:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi everyone. Went and saw this '57 Pontiac Star Chief today. Definitely a 4d ht. I'll
mention what I saw.
1-the car is blue in color with an India Ivory/white roof. It doesn't appear to be a repaint. Paint is fair;' maybe good, considering it's 61 years old. It might clean up some and take a shine. Pretty sure the roof would.
2-Body is straight with no dents or creases that I could see. Appears very solid.
3-No signs of rust through, but there was some paint bubbling in some area's. This was in the top of the rockers, left front mid fender, right rear outside dogleg,
top of the rear quarter, passengers side, where the taillight bezel fits against the body, driver side front fender eyebrow, I'm sure possibly one or two spots more, but nothing that really jumps out at me. Nothing serious enough that I would recall it.
4-no signs of rust around the front windshield reveal molding or rear window.
5-chrome frames for all 4 door window glass is pitted some with surface rust.
6- All the pillars appears to be fine, especially the "B" pillar. Strong. Sturdy. Solid.
Tried forcing it to move with no results. Doors lock and are hinged well.
7-Trunk floor appeared to be solid. Original jack in the trunk with alot of other junk. Couldn't be 100% sure at this time.
8-Floor pans also appear to be solid.
9-headliner is white and in good shape. The chrome ribs are very nice.
10-Dashboard is original and not butchered. The speedometer is stuck.
11-white steering wheel is perfect with no cracks whatsoever.
12-weather stripping around and between windows is in bad shape. All go up and down.
13-the front seat is leather and in bad shape. Can't be stitched or salvaged. Door panels can be cleaned up and rear seat is good shape. Needs new carpeting.
14-the engine is a 4 barrel and the compartment looks complete with all filters. Engine has 81,000 original miles on it. Not sure if the original radiator or not. Eventually, the compartment should be restored.
15-no power steering. Big disappointment. I can't tell if it has power brakes or not. I don't even see the master cylinder.
16-car hasn't been moved in about 8 years. Was started several times a year but not in the last 2-3 years.
17-no major engine or transmission repair. Just maintenance and tuneup.
18-to the owners recollection, never in an accident with it. They bought it in 1963 from the original, local owner. Could have been a daily driver to them, but present owner said they never took it out over any Winter. Always garaged. I just happen to think that it might have had a few very small accidents by the original owner.
19-all side trim and stainless intact and in nice shape.
20-front and rear bumpers are solid and dent free. Would eventually need re chroming. Wow. Those things are big. Bet it cost a fortune to re chrome them.
21-I'm sure I'm leaving something out. I couldn't get underneath of it because of the clutter around it, tightness and I forgot my jack. I definitely have to go back. Nice lady. Seems like a motivated seller. Will try and post some pics when my wife gets home. If it is a fair price, not discuss yet, I might have an interest in it. I think it's a project I could do over time and certainly it's something solid to work with. I'm just a little concerned about some parts availability. And that leather interior, I see a king size flat sheet covering everything for now. So, let me know any thoughts someone might have. I'm all ears. Thank you, Carmine.

Name:	IMG_0567.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	502333

Name:	IMG_0573.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	502334

Name:	IMG_0574.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	502335

Name:	IMG_0576.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	502336

Name:	IMG_0577.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	502337

More pics to follow.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Guys, trying to get some pics out. Not doing so well. Struggling some. Sorry, Carmine.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the chance at a '55 4DHT a few years ago for $3500 that looked to be in similar shape as this one, and was a regular driver. I would say that the ballpark price would be slightly lower than that if it doesn't run or needs major work, but I would hesitate to go much higher than that without knowing too much more. Mechanicals are easy to do on these cars and the rubber isn't too difficult to come by but the interior is costly (to do right). Being a 4D makes the market smaller and the value lower. Fifties cars are getting rarer and rarer and just don't have the following of the '60s & '70s A & F-bodies.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Weather stripping is same as Chevy so no problem there. You can always do seats in something other than leather. If you really want a 4dr ht and the price is reasonable go for it. Remember though if you have to rebuild the engine/trans it can be very expensive. Putting a later Pontiac engine and OD trans in is always an option, fairly easy and cheaper. I did it with mine and most people didn't know the difference.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was doing a little research on parts availability. Seems like alot of mechanical and body parts, such as weather stripping, are out there. Don't think any chrome or stainless is needed. It all seems to be in nice shape with some polishing to bring it's luster back. If nothing changes, my biggest concerns are the rechroming of both front and rear bumpers-maybe $500.00 each, the interior, which to do over in leather, has to be expensive, I have no clue as to what that would cost, fixing the speedometer for $400.00 plus, paint/light body work, which at the moment I would tackle myself, but that's subject to change if I decide to farm it out, so that price has to be considered and probably a few thousand dollars more collectively in small parts; redo the entire brake system, gas lines; hopefully tank is ok, front end rebuild-ball joints, springs, tie rods, etc., tires are in nice shape, but old-replacement??, exhaust system, wiring, the list could go on and on. Assuming, bad word, the engine, transmission and related equipment is ok for now. Of course all this adds up. So, I have to be open minded and proceed with caution. I'm not necessarily adverse to doing it, but want to be aware of what I'm getting into.
Transmissions, this is a 4 speed automatic. I find that interesting for some reason. Are these good transmissions? Is that 4th gear like and OD?? Thanks, Carmine.