Old 06-19-2019, 02:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Does it matter if my valve springs are 2 different brands?

OK. A little background: I ordered new valve springs, seals and some other parts for my all #s matching Formula 400. The company I ordered the Sealed Power outers from sold them in sets of 8. I placed two orders from the exact same ebay listing. One order arrived in full. The other was shipped as only 1 spring. I have tried to resolve this issue and will likely just end up getting a refund because I don't think they are able to fulfill their obligation.

The problem is that there must have been either a discontinuation or an interruption in production. Because, within the last 3 weeks it has gone from several reasonably priced sets of 8 available from different sources to no sets and mostly overpriced singles available. To complete the set as all sealed power, it looks like I will have to buy at least a couple singles which will be $8 or $10 each after shipping(the ones I was supposed to be getting were $26 for 8 at my door). It seriously burns my butt to pay that much more just because a company failed to meet their obligation.

So I am wondering, will it make a difference if I finish making a set with Melling or some other reasonably priced springs that are available in sets?

I know they are supposed to all be within certain specs based on the application regardless of who makes them. However, I have had enough junk parts over the years to know that is not often the case and that in mass production(especially foreign production) "probably good enough" is often the standard.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd use all of one brand on the intake, and the other on the exhaust. Intake valves are larger, hence heavier, so I'd probably use the stronger spring on the intake.

But then, MOST cams will have more lift on the exhaust, so I'd also check the amount of cushion I have before coil bind, and THAT may determine which goes on the intake and which to the exhaust.

If the seat and open pressures check out, then I doubt the engine will care what box the springs came out of.

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust

My webpage http://lnlpd.com/home
Old 06-20-2019, 06:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would send all of those back for a refund and then get a set of Crower 68404-16 for a few more bucks.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 06-20-2019, 08:40 AM
Suspended

I would say no, it does not make a difference if they meet specs, but I would not use them.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your question doesn't have a one size fits all answer. Will the numbers matching engine start, run and drive with a bunch of mis-matched springs? Absolutely. It will do all these things, drive hundreds of miles, make the cruise-ins and little trips around the neighborhood. Will it produce proper OE or better power? run a road course without issue?, Not float the valves, Win a drag race? Impossible to say without measuring each spring for open and closed pressure, making sure the free height and wire diameter is the same and so forth. If you think about it, the only thing the spring has to do is close the valve. Almost any spring can do this. It all depends on your goals and objectives. If I owned it and it's next trip was to a collector car auction, I would throw 16 springs on it and go. If I wanted it to really perform up to potential, I would do as Steve suggested and buy an appropriate Crower, PAC, Ferrea, Comp, Manley, Isky, Lunati, K-Motion, or other quality replacement spring set.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Your question doesn't have a one size fits all answer. Will the numbers matching engine start, run and drive with a bunch of mis-matched springs? Absolutely. It will do all these things, drive hundreds of miles, make the cruise-ins and little trips around the neighborhood. Will it produce proper OE or better power? run a road course without issue?, Not float the valves, Win a drag race? Impossible to say without measuring each spring for open and closed pressure, making sure the free height and wire diameter is the same and so forth. If you think about it, the only thing the spring has to do is close the valve. Almost any spring can do this. It all depends on your goals and objectives. If I owned it and it's next trip was to a collector car auction, I would throw 16 springs on it and go. If I wanted it to really perform up to potential, I would do as Steve suggested and buy an appropriate Crower, PAC, Ferrea, Comp, Manley, Isky, Lunati, K-Motion, or other quality replacement spring set.
I suppose I ought to have been more clear on the cars use. Outside of possibly "cleaning the tires off" occasionally for my son's entertainment, this car will just be a cruiser(go to cruise nights, take it on drives just to enjoy being on the road, etc). There will definitely not be any racing in it's future. As long as it is reliable and sounds as wonderful as it always has, I'm a happy guy. That was my big concern was just wondering if mismatched springs would make it somehow run poorly or damage other parts.

Last edited by justincampbell; 06-20-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The biggest issue I would have would be not confirming that the two different springs used will atleast provide the needed minimum of 115 psi on the seat as a stock Cam with its at best .406" lift will not be a issue with retainer to seal clearance nor coil bind , so you can sleep good at nite in that regard.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 06-20-2019, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Appreciate you clarifying the use of the car/engine. I would do as Steve suggests. Gather your 16 springs and just run them to any performance shop in your area and have them measure them at installed height for 115 lb. minimum seat pressure. Install and have fun.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-20-2019, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The sealed power and melling are probably from the exact same manufacturer. Just something I learned working at auto zone and advance for years

Old 06-21-2019, 05:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The last time I bought stock replacement springs they came from NAPA and were in Pioneer boxes. Excellent springs BTW, but since I discovered the Crower 68405's there is not need to use anything else for stock heads with the stock assembly height.......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 06-21-2019, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So how much $$$ is a complete set of springs going to total to your door?

Old 06-21-2019, 10:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELCITYFIREBIRD View Post
So how much $$$ is a complete set of springs going to total to your door?
If the eBay seller that I am trying to resolve things with delivers the remaining springs that they are supposed to, I will be into the whole set for $93.
If I end up getting a refund and completing the set with Melling springs, it will actually be a couple bucks less.
If I buy the remaining springs from several different suppliers to keep the set all Sealed Power, it will be $110ish.
If I go with the Crowers, it will be $140ish + the $66 I have in the other Sealed Power springs that I can't return(over 30 days) and will do me no good.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:42 AM
Suspended

I would buy Crower springs directly from Crower.. Too much to lose for so little money!

Old 06-22-2019, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Crower 68404 springs are $126 at Summit. Shop around.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cro-68404-16

Some consider it "the stock replacement spring".

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 07-15-2019, 10:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I finally got my refund today for the set that was not able to be completed.

I plan to order a set of Crower springs but which number is correct? I see both 68404 and 68405 mentioned above.