Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Heating and Air Conditioning Comment on Service Longevity

We had local co. install Carrier furnace, air conditioning, humidifier, and cleaner 19 yrs ago. They were just here for service. They said still in good condition. I know owner personally he just said we are getting good service because we get it serviced fall and spring.Sure it's a fee but 19 yrs I think is good. Just my 2cts.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After 18 years mine Hvac broke down. Compressor shot. Window units for the rest of the summer. I figure 18 years with no problems is good, but then I realized it only works 3 months of the year! So is that 5 1/2 years?

TOM
Old 08-07-2019, 11:47 PM

Installed my Carrier heat pump back in 1989 so its now 30 years old. Only things needing replaced has been a TX valve several years back and the thermostat last year. Bet whenever it goes the replacement wont last that long.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:04 AM
Senior Chief

i work with 2 guys that do HVAC install and repair,, when they started 15 years a go they kept track of all the callbacks,warrenty calls, repairs on new units and such, they wanted to know which brand had fewer problems turned out it was Lennox, so that is all they install unless customer has their own unit..i have helped remove many old units most are 10yrs old,various brands too..i scrap them out also, and u would be suprised how little their is to them,,not a lot of parts ,and very little has changed in 40 years according to an old ac man down the block..

Old 08-09-2019, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You should get at least 19 years out of it. The only problem will be the efficiency compared to a brand new model. Big issue is finding a reputable service guy, and getting it looked at, at least once a year esp. if its an oil burner. In my area there are a lot of service techs that are "salesman". They come to do a $100 service call, then tell the homeowner something is broke and end up selling a new furnace for thousands.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I sold a house last year I had lived in for 23 years. I installed a new furnace and A/C unit the year I moved in (1995). They were both working fine when I moved out. I had found an honest HVAC guy to work on them if something did go wrong. Only thing I remember was a board on the furnace about 5 years ago. Cost about $150. The A/C unit honestly never gave me a problem in all those years. I had them checked every once in a while, and my guy said there is nothing he could improve. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! Units were both Carrier.
I also installed an A/O Smith water heater in 1996, and that was still going strong when I sold the house. I was on well water, with a water softener.
Don’t buy junk if you plan on keeping the place

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

AND jmo, that old line about high efficiency is a used car salesmen tactic. Yeah, if you have an honest to goodness , old, non high efficiency furnace a new one will be cheaper to run, but how many years is it going to take to pay off the extra expense of a new furnace? If it works and is safe- keep it. If I had a dollar for every time I hear that “If your unit is over 10 years old, you should replace it “ line.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I replaced the blower motor on mine and checked the capacitors a few years ago. It started freezing up due to rust in the evaporator and drain lines despite me cleaning them out regularly. It also started leaking in the house, not enough to keep it from working but it was struggling at the end of last summer and this summer wasn't much better. I ended up replacing mine solely because of how much maintenance and effort was going into it. Took me several years to find someone willing to do the work due to the closet size and effort involved. I got 21 years out of mine and had it not been leaking I would have kept it going until it died, the control board and motors aren't made anymore and used parts were the only thing I was able to get.

The new AC unit does cost about 40% less per month to keep the house colder, so it's a win.

Seriously though, if yours is dead or dying replacing can make sense. If it works fine and gives no trouble outside of the yearly maintenance call, no sense replacing it. 20 years is the designed life on most systems, even if they can last longer.

It's just like that guy who is driving his 1968 Catalina he bought brand new every day still, he's the exception and got a long-lived one and is probably willing to do what it takes to keep it running. Sure, a new car would be nicer in features and economy but how long will it take to pay off and if it ain't broke why fix it?

Old 08-14-2019, 02:14 AM
Senior Chief

i agree , if your unit is working properly, and safely,(water leakage, mold ,mildew in unit closet not safe) leave it alone till it isnt,,then get a high efficiency unit,, usually all their is to them is more ac coils on the outside unit,, so dont pay a ton of money for a HE one ,it shouldnt cost that much more.. back when i worked for a ac/plumbing/electrical supply place,as a driver, i looked through the catalog, came to the section on ac coils that sit out side, first page was 10.0 seer, next page was 11.0 an so on, till i hit 18.0, so you can spend as much as you want on a HE unit if you have the bucks..most of the new units i help install are low efficiency,,i guess when your paying 3,000-5,000$$ u get the cheaper one... it also pays to have double or triple panned windows,,cuts your HVAC bills and keeps the unit from running ,so it lasts longer too..just like a refrigerator,since its 30% of your electric bill,get a HE model ,it lasts longer because its running less..

Old 08-14-2019, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To side track a bit, no advantage between triple pane and double pane windows. Thats another smoke n mirrors trick that salesman use. The energy loss is around the cheaply made window frames and how well the windows are sealed to the house.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You don’t necessarily want it to run less, you want it to be efficient. When the A/C unit is running is when it is pulling humidity out of the air. If too big of a unit is installed it will cool the air quickly, but not efficiently and not run enough to pull the humidity out of the air