THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lemans462 View Post
Car shows are lame. Dont mind attending them so much but I have far better things to do than take my car to one and show it.
Opinions......gotta love em. Shows are actually my stress reliever just sitting back, hanging with fellow enthusiasts, getting a hot dog and maybe a funnel cake, and talking cars. All the other weekly chores and life’s everyday issues, all go away for just a day. I learn a lot, as well teach a lot. Shows are NOT lame! gotta love opinions lol. whatever Trevor.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 08-14-2019, 10:40 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
Opinions......gotta love em. Shows are actually my stress reliever just sitting back, hanging with fellow enthusiasts, getting a hot dog and maybe a funnel cake, and talking cars. All the other weekly chores and life’s everyday issues, all go away for just a day. I learn a lot, as well teach a lot. Shows are NOT lame! gotta love opinions lol. whatever Trevor.
I prefer cruise nights. No entry fee, no trophies, no classes, no B.S. Hell, you don't even have to clean the car if you choose. Just park your car and choot da chit.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:41 AM
Senior Chief

I don’t go to many shows but a few friends were going and I tagged along. It was close and they donate the proceeds to charity. At just under 500 cars it was a good size show for the area. One friend is a NCRS Corvette guy the other a Pontiac guy. When they put out the trophy notifications both of them had fits. The Pontiac guy didn’t place and the Corvette took third. Both of them confronted a judge and chewed him out, I was so embarrassed. As soon as they walked away another guy got in the same judges face. Two weeks later I went to a show with the Corvette guy. He didn’t place and I received best in show. He hasn’t talked to me since the show. People take trophy awards way too serious. Most of the time I don’t put out the judging sheet. I enjoy the social aspect and looking at the other cars.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Im with you. I enjoy going to them. Unfortunately my wife is not a car person so I have to be a bit choosey as to those I attend. Plan on going this weekend for the first time since June. I would like the idea of a cruise and finally attended Gary's, which was fun, but there aren't too many around that im aware of.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:32 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Opinions......gotta love em. Shows are NOT lame! gotta love opinions lol. whatever Trevor.
I don't think the shows are lame, just the pompus asses that go to them. Just look at what happens around here when someone mentions an LS swap or something that is not a GTO or Firebird.

And you can split those hairs down to T/A's, Judges and Ram Air.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"I have so many trophies that I need to rent a truck to take them to the dump" is a great humble-brag.

When the awards ceremony starts, I'll usually take the chance to sneak out early. It's always funny to see the whole crowd turn around when I fire 'er up.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The car club I started has hosted an annual all makes show for 15 years. We do the judging and our cars are not eligible for awards. Out of those 15 years I can count on one hand the number of times someone showed their ass about awards. When they did we politely asked them to not return the next year. Our folks work very hard to be even handed in the judging so I think that helps. I've seen a bunch of shows where they were "judged" and folks that were friends of the judges won all the top awards. So it often comes down to how the show is run. Regardless, no one should ever get bent out of shape about a stupid car show trophy.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If ya think about it, most all of us have done the same thing that some of you are complaining about, we just don't broadcast it to the world.
How many times walking down an aisle at a car show have you said to your SO, "why did they paint it that gawd awful black color"?, or "that Pontiac has the Buick air cleaner decal on it", or "that alternator bracket bolt is the wrong color", "that 71 has a 1970 power steering cap", etc..

Last edited by Simple Man; 08-14-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:27 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
If ya think about it, most all of us have done the same thing that some of you are complaining about, we just don't broadcast it to the world.
How many times walking down an aisle at a car show have you said to your SO, "why did they paint it that gawd awful black color"?, or "that Pontiac has the Buick air cleaner decal on it", or "that alternator bracket bolt is the wrong color", "that 71 has a 1970 power steering cap", etc..
Never. Why do you? What difference does it make? A cool old car is a cool old car and I will never see or care what date code is on the wheels.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Never. Why do you? What difference does it make? A cool old car is a cool old car and I will never see or care what date code is on the wheels.
Sorry, Chief, my fault completely. Forgot you were perfect. My apologies.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
Sorry, Chief, my fault completely. Forgot you were perfect. My apologies.
Far from it but I don't go around picking apart someone's car at a car show because I "think" my car is better, more correct or more to my liking. Again, why do you? You obviously must or you wouldn't have posted what you did. Perhaps the OP was posting about people exactly like you.

Personally, I think that someone who picks apart someone elses car is a total ass.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:37 PM

Ahhhhhhhhh geeeeze, I think Chief and Simple need to get a room.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-14-2019, 09:38 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Ahhhhhhhhh geeeeze, I think Chief and Simple need to get a room.
Sorry

I'm not into Simple.

Although I have heard a lot of crickets.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:42 PM

The real prize.....is staying humble and kind! .

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-14-2019, 09:46 PM

I’m gonna win more now. My bird is make and model transgender.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E827E534-BAB1-45F8-A28F-1EDFFD251886.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	517801  

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-14-2019, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Being "OLD" has nothing to do with it! I'm old and I've seen just as many younger guys do it. Some people are just snobs. I prefer street rod events because they are generally more down to earth people. They are more interested in driving their cars than talking about them. And, they don't make fun of other people's stuff.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
Being "OLD" has nothing to do with it! I'm old and I've seen just as many younger guys do it. Some people are just snobs. I prefer street rod events because they are generally more down to earth people. They are more interested in driving their cars than talking about them. And, they don't make fun of other people's stuff.

They’re very much like Bike guys. I have friends with Street Rods, but personally not into them. Those old cars were better looking IMO.....the way they were off the assembly line.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-14-2019, 10:04 PM

It amazes me how these days new wave cars are becoming more visible at car shows. I’m ok with that if there is a class for them, but if they are competing against Classics and antiques, that’s just wrong! I was at a show Sunday, where there was top 35. Half of the winners were 2011 and up cars. Of course they’re gonna look good, turn key and go and show. Not at all fair to fit the Antiques and classics with them.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-14-2019, 10:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is the Camaro guy named Gary by any chance?

Quote:
Bet you guys can’t top this....there’s a guy with a cherry red 69 Camaro convertible, was at a show for kids cancer, and it was awards time. He was called up for a third place award, stomped up there, grabbed the trophy, and threw it in the trash can next to the trophy table. I’ve been told he takes his smaller trophy’s and disassembles them then makes really big ones with them. yesterday at a show, he stomped up to get his award, grabbed it, didn’t even shake the guy’s hand, and wouldn’t stand for a second to get a picture taken. he’s been asked not to come back to several shows because of his drama and bashing of others who beat him. talk about drama. I actually have a friend with a 67 chevelle, who complains it doesn’t win, but she never walks around and votes for others cars.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining about him, I find him making an A$$ out of himself quite amusing.

Yeah there’s drama, it’s a simple fix....just don’t go back, or just stick to cruises. I could write a book about this very subject, I have seen and heard it all, including others who won’t park next to me because they claim I always win. Lololol. That is not true.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67351918_10217198427485976_3784940612499800064_o.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	517807  

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, Safe T track, 3.55's, ps and radio.

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White on white with black interior
4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac.
One of 26 made
Old 08-14-2019, 10:22 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
I know a "younger guy" with a nice '70 RAIII Judge. I walked around a car show with him once and once was all it took. Every other car he saw he would say out loud what a POS it was and why it was in a car show and he wouldn't even allow it to be parked next to his Judge. I think I spent 15 or 20 minutes with him, got in my car and left. Freakin' embarrassing.