THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:25 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
It amazes me how these days new wave cars are becoming more visible at car shows. I’m ok with that if there is a class for them, but if they are competing against Classics and antiques, that’s just wrong! I was at a show Sunday, where there was top 35. Half of the winners were 2011 and up cars. Of course they’re gonna look good, turn key and go and show. Not at all fair to fit the Antiques and classics with them.
Quote:
Venting about some car show gals
LOL

Old 08-14-2019, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most cars shows have a cut off date of cars being 25 years old and the older cars. Cruise nights are usually for all years... at least my cruise night is.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get a life folks. Go polish your lug nuts or something...

Old 08-15-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
It amazes me how these days new wave cars are becoming more visible at car shows. I’m ok with that if there is a class for them, but if they are competing against Classics and antiques, that’s just wrong! I was at a show Sunday, where there was top 35. Half of the winners were 2011 and up cars. Of course they’re gonna look good, turn key and go and show. Not at all fair to fit the Antiques and classics with them.
My whole 3d gen club was beaten by a 1 week old mustang once. The car show had put all cars newer then 73 in the same class.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Most cars shows have a cut off date of cars being 25 years old and the older cars. Cruise nights are usually for all years... at least my cruise night is.

Cruise nights are different, they’re usually free or a donation. When I pay and a portion of it goes to the judges, and a 2015 Challenger just drove off the lot and is competing against my 50 year old restored car that took me 13 years to complete, you can bet I’m gonna get a little bent when he gets an award. UNLESS he has his own NEW Muscle class.

Now I won’t complain out loud.....I just won’t go back, or depending on the club sponsoring the event, I might send them an e mail after the fact and express a possible alternative such as a class for the NEW cars.

You would all have to agree with me, these cars should NOT be mixed in with 50+ year old cars that owners have gone through great lengths to bring them back. Especially if.......you’ve paid a registration fee and a portion goes to judging.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 08-15-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Get a life folks. Go polish your lug nuts or something...

Go fix your bent wheel Bob! my lug nuts are just fine! . See......... next........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B48B776F-17AC-4D39-8658-1F04435B1C29.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	517827  

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-15-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
LOL

Ha Ha smart A$$!

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-15-2019, 09:24 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Cruise nights are different, they’re usually free or a donation. When I pay and a portion of it goes to the judges, and a 2015 Challenger just drove off the lot and is competing against my 50 year old restored car that took me 13 years to complete, you can bet I’m gonna get a little bent when he gets an award. UNLESS he has his own NEW Muscle class.

Now I won’t complain out loud.....I just won’t go back, or depending on the club sponsoring the event, I might send them an e mail after the fact and express a possible alternative such as a class for the NEW cars.

You would all have to agree with me, these cars should NOT be mixed in with 50+ year old cars that owners have gone through great lengths to bring them back. Especially if.......you’ve paid a registration fee and a portion goes to judging.
My new neighbors have a ZL1 Camaro and a rare Hurst Challenger and they take them to all the car shows. I'm glad to see the younger crowd into cars these days and perhaps it could be a stepping stone to the possibility of them owning an old muscle car some day. But it does suck to see a group of 20 to 30 Camaros or Mustangs do a conga line into a car show. If I wanted to see that many new cars in a row I'd go to the dealer.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:26 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Ha Ha smart A$$!
GUILTY

Old 08-15-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post

Shows here are trying to find ways not to have to get extra awards, so they have started combining a lot of classes to save on the cost of the awards. However the registration cost go up. The cost to enter a vehicle in a show generally range from $10 to $22 years ago when I started in this game of shows, you paid wayyyyy less, got what they referred to as a goody bag, a dash plaque. Those days are over you might get a plastic bag with a bunch of literature in it. In other words trash.

Luckily for me, I have at least 3 shows every weekend to choose from, I like going to different ones, where my car hasn’t been seen that much, as well make new friends, and a different atmosphere.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-15-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
My new neighbors have a ZL1 Camaro and a rare Hurst Challenger and they take them to all the car shows. I'm glad to see the younger crowd into cars these days and perhaps it could be a stepping stone to the possibility of them owning an old muscle car some day. But it does suck to see a group of 20 to 30 Camaros or Mustangs do a conga line into a car show. If I wanted to see that many new cars in a row I'd go to the dealer.

Well I’m not “a younger” car enthusiast, and I had a new Challenger, I did not show the car off, but did take it to cruise nights, where there was no competition. When I had mine it was really kind of rare to see them and mine got a lot of attention. But I’d never put it against a 50 year old classic. That’s just not right.

This was my 09 Challenger R/T.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	55412DC8-062C-4785-A5F9-E2C29604D202.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	517828   Click image for larger version

Name:	90565E40-0065-4BCC-9294-13043EC57B89.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	517829  

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-15-2019, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The guys that whine when they don’t get a trophy are Democrats. Heck....if Bernie Sanders was judging.....everyone would get a Trophy !

Old 08-15-2019, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My club breaks them into 10 year classes. Pre-1940 all the way through new cars in 10 year increments. Of course all cars are eligible for "Best Of" trophies. We usually end up with a mix of old and new in those awards but we find our judges tend to be more inclined to judge the new cars the hardest for the very reasons stated. There's no way a 50 year old car can stack up against a factory new car in a lot of areas. So it lands on the judges shoulders to help balance that mix. For the hosting club like ours it's mostly about making money for a charity. I need those new cars because about half my profit comes from them. And we are in the second era of muscle cars which is turning on a younger set of folks to the car hobby. I prefer to encourage that.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter View Post
My club breaks them into 10 year classes. Pre-1940 all the way through new cars in 10 year increments. Of course all cars are eligible for "Best Of" trophies. We usually end up with a mix of old and new in those awards but we find our judges tend to be more inclined to judge the new cars the hardest for the very reasons stated. There's no way a 50 year old car can stack up against a factory new car in a lot of areas. So it lands on the judges shoulders to help balance that mix. For the hosting club like ours it's mostly about making money for a charity. I need those new cars because about half my profit comes from them. And we are in the second era of muscle cars which is turning on a younger set of folks to the car hobby. I prefer to encourage that.

I prefer to encourage youngsters to embrace the classics. A car you drive everyday such as a NEW Challenger, Camaro, Mustang etc. is NOT what “car shows” are about. As mentioned, I can go to any car lot and see these cars for free. Some car shows, even charge spectators. 50 years from now they can show off these cars, but they do not belong at a “classic car show” unless........ they have their own class.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-15-2019, 11:11 AM

Long and short, I don’t need another trophy to show off a 13 year restoration, that took a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and cussing, and a lot of money! I also don’t need or want the drama that comes from the whiners, I see and hear a lot of things, not only from the classic car owners, but new car owners as well. You’re gonna have that in any hobby, where an award is offered. You have 2 choices.....

Deal with it......or go home! It’s that simple

By the way, do I need another piece of plastic to dust? You tell me! will I accept one? Of course I will no need to be rude! Lololol. will I lose to a new car? Probably! Do I care? Nope!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	06173858-5ABB-45E3-9021-25A295791AC1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	517838  

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
The guys that whine when they don’t get a trophy are Democrats. Heck....if Bernie Sanders was judging.....everyone would get a Trophy !
LMFAO!

Old 08-15-2019, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I too get a bit annoyed when there are 'new' cars at shows, typically challengers and mustangs ( I know Gary, im the pot calling the kettle black!!! LOL).

Old 08-15-2019, 11:38 AM
Senior Chief

My wife and I like to go to recurring monthly cruise ins, local "car shows" if you will. We also do a couple of annual shows.
The recurring monthly cruise ins let us have a way to enjoy our cars on a regular basis, encourage us to keep them clean and presentable, and give the cars some "exercise", and we get to see the "regular attendees" who have become friends or acquaintances. In one case, a couple we know replaced their 3x2 Rochesters with a 3x2 throttle body DPI fuel injection system, but the throttle bodies look like the Rochester 2bbl carbs! Very expensive system, but noteworthy and the owner says he is very pleased with the results that his $8,000 investment has brought.
Regarding awards, that is a big deal for my wife, but that's more of a reflection of how much she likes her 65 GTO Royal Bobcat Tribute car than a character flaw.
We took her car to Pontiacs in Pigeon Forge for the first time a couple of years ago. It was a big deal for her especially because there aren't many Pontiac centric events around here. I put in a lot of effort to help her prep and detail her car, and when she won a 3rd place trophy, she was so happy she cried. I was very happy for her, because she and I both have worked very hard to be able to afford our cars.
There were some people who entered their cars in the show who got the red ass over not winning first place trophies, and probably some who were pissed because she placed with her car. 3rd place was the last level of award, but she felt like a world champion that day, and I couldn't have been happier for her. THAT is the kind of person who really deserves to win an award as long as the car justifies it. Someone who really worked hard with what they have to make it the best they can, but really appreciates it for all of the right reasons.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20180604-091653_Photos.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	517840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180604-104718_Photos.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	517841  

Old 08-15-2019, 12:31 PM

aman... awesome! Good for her, you both had a good time at a Pontiac event and as you said they are far and few between, even all makes and models shows rarely even recognize Pontiacs. I was at one this past Sunday, that had top 35, plus special awards for..... Best Ford, Best Chevy, Best Mopar. NO Best Pontiac. anyway Congrats on that beautiful mist GTO!

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-15-2019, 12:48 PM
Suspended

Quote:
By the way, do I need another piece of plastic to dust? You tell me!!
They don't get dusty in a box.