THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
Around 25 years ago I was going to get rid of the basement full of trophies from old car shows from the prior three decades. I was trying to figure out something to do with them other than the garbage.

At the time I was working at a government legal office and every year they had a "company" softball game and the winner got a big trophy. I had an idea and I volunteered to provide the trophy that year.

There were two teams, us nerdy folks versus the other annoying group of lawyers that was made up of all the old college jocks and macho types. We knew we would lose and had no problem with that fact. So we were gonna have some fun with it.

When it came time to present the winner's trophy I brought out this five foot high conglomeration made up of cheesy trophy parts. It looked amazing and it had them in total awe. They were all high fiven' and fist bumping like it was the veritable Golden Calf and Moses was up the mountain.

I waited a couple minutes and then I parted the Red Sea with the runners up trophy for your's truly and the nerd team's second place finish. It was 9 feet tall and took three people to carry it.

The crowd went wild.

From last I heard they were still using that giant trophy for their yearly softball game, decades later.
Great. I just spewed Coke out my nose.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 08-16-2019, 01:13 PM

It’s always those darn Camaros geeeeeeze lolol.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 08-16-2019, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Great. I just spewed Coke out my nose.

K
Imagine a gold plated version of the alien creature in the final scene in John Carpenter's "The Thing" and that should give you an idea of what that trophy looked like. :-)

Old 08-16-2019, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

About 6 years ago, I was asked to lend my 67 GTO for a play at a local High School. The kids seemed to enjoy having the car there for their performances that week. Of course I have no idea if any of them retained any interest in cars as a result, but I'm hopeful they enjoy more than just their computer screens these days. If I reached just one kid and made a car nut, I'd be thrilled!

I work on this with my son too, though he hasn't really developed any interest in cars... yet. "Hey Bud, want to come help me on the car(s)? Maybe go to a car show this weekend? Nah. They're cool Dad, but I wanna play my video games. I'll drive my Honda car with air conditioning and an automatic to my friend's house later."

I have to remind myself that mine was the LAST generation of the Industrial Age. We're in the Information Age now. From my kids forward, no more generations will ever know a world without the internet and information instantly at their fingertips. Not necessarily bad, but will they luv cars like our generation(s) did? Some will yes, but I don't see them finding the same emotional 'freedom' with cars they way I (we) did. Makes it even more difficult to get them to the car shows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0935.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	518024  

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 08-16-2019, 08:43 PM

That’s very cool, I’ve been approached to have my 69 in two movies, I respectfully declined when they talked about putting cameras on it everywhere.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 08-16-2019, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansboy70 View Post
I did this at a Cub Scout meet. They had invited a group of about 20 cars to display at their monthly meeting. I had my LeMans Vert at the time. I was the ONLY one who would let the kids sit it their car. I showed them how to lay their arm on the doorsill to look "Cool". The parents took TONS of pictures and the kids had a blast.

I have one guy in our club who gets it. He has a 66 GTO. Over the last 15 years I've seen him put hundreds of kids in his car. I've seen him hold court under the hood with all kinds of folks, adults and children, in rapt attention. Dude can talk the ears off a brass monkey. But he sure lights up their eyes and gets the questions. Now some of his answers.... LOL.