Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-14-2019, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had a Mcleod mini starter in my car for 15 years no issues. ( I hate to even say it watch now it will go bad) Not sure they even make them anymore.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My machinist put a Delco full-size starter on it on the engine stand and it worked fine. He told me not to change it out for the mini starter just run a Ford solenoid. Seriously the summit starter teeth had a massive failure and they wouldn’t replace it cause it was 6 months past the year warranty

Old 08-17-2019, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
My machinist put a Delco full-size starter on it on the engine stand and it worked fine. He told me not to change it out for the mini starter just run a Ford solenoid.
It's NOT the starter that fails. It's the factory type solenoid. Even if you buy one that's called heavy duty, or whatever, after they get hot a few times, they will eventually fail to start a hot engine, even if you also use a Ford type solenoid, mounted on the firewall.

I learned this back in the '70-'80s, bracket racing. My local starter guy built me several HD factory starters, with what he said was the highest power guts that would fit in the factory housing. He told me that even the best solenoids sold, would fail from heat. And, he was exactly correct. I always took a couple of spares with me, & had some on the shelf, in my shop. Also carried at least one complete starter/solenoid, ready to bolt on at the track, if needed.

That worked, if the failure was during time trials. But, if it was during elims, in the staging lanes, we were just out of luck. Last hot solenoid failure was going into round 4, at a race in 2008. Bought a Summit mini for the next race. Worked perfectly, on a 455 with #215 heads. Not saying the Summit brand is best. But, for me, MUCH better than stock type starters.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
My machinist put a Delco full-size starter on it on the engine stand and it worked fine. He told me not to change it out for the mini starter just run a Ford solenoid. Seriously the summit starter teeth had a massive failure and they wouldn’t replace it cause it was 6 months past the year warranty
https://youtu.be/JIwcAvaMkNk

That really didn't sound like worked fine.
You know what rips teeth off of starters?

Kickback.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
....and they wouldn’t replace it cause it was 6 months past the year warranty
Well, it was 6 months out of warranty. Why should they replace it when you exceeded the warranty by 50%?

Old 08-18-2019, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Well, it was 6 months out of warranty. Why should they replace it when you exceeded the warranty by 50%?
Well I am not saying its an absolute but I have been doing business with them for over 20 years. Have spents tens of thousands of dollars with them and it wasnt like I had been using it for a year and a half and it failed on the side of the road. It was a non start right out of the gate.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
https://youtu.be/JIwcAvaMkNk

That really didn't sound like worked fine.
You know what rips teeth off of starters?

Kickback.
That was a weak battery that his shop worker forgot to hook up to the charger overnight and it never kicked backed while I was there.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Well I am not saying its an absolute but I have been doing business with them for over 20 years. Have spents tens of thousands of dollars with them and it wasnt like I had been using it for a year and a half and it failed on the side of the road. It was a non start right out of the gate.
Maybe you shouldn't buy parts 1.5 years before you're going to use them if you want the warranty to start when you hang the part. The warranty started the day the starter was delivered.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Maybe you shouldn't buy parts 1.5 years before you're going to use them if you want the warranty to start when you hang the part. The warranty started the day the starter was delivered.
Maybe everyone isn’t perfect like you and fall behind because life events like major dental work get in the way

Old 08-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Maybe everyone isn’t perfect like you and fall behind because life events like major dental work get in the way
Never argue with someone who's a parts pusher for a living.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i got a jegs mini starter, have had it for years no issues. sometimes you just get a bad unit., its called a monday or friday unit.... on friday the people are in a rush to get done and screw it up, on mondays there hung over from the weekend and screw things up...lol

Old 08-18-2019, 04:30 PM

I am in the process of putting in a summit mini. How did you guys check the gear backlash? The starter came with good instructions but I can’t physically SEE inside the bellhousing to check the lash using a paperclip like they show. The big aluminum block that the starter motor bolts to isn’t helping.

Any suggestions?

Old 08-18-2019, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Never argue with someone who's a parts pusher for a living.
Doesn’t have the skill to be a mechanic but likes cars. I know what I’ll do. I’ll go work for autozone LOL

Old 08-18-2019, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
It was a non start right out of the gate.
Actually, it worked fine. Three times. And then *something* happened.

Quote:
That was a weak battery that his shop worker forgot to hook up to the charger overnight and it never kicked backed while I was there.
While you were there, but it didn't fail while you were there. The starter in the video is struggling, a mini wouldn't fare much better. Kickback is more likely to occur at a lower rpm, like when the engine is barely turning over. Timing is BTDC, if a cylinder doesn't reach TDC before combustion does it's thing, which way do you think mister piston wants to go? (hint, it's not like he has a choice) And here's that pesky starter still trying to go in the opposite direction.

Starters are tough, but they simply cannot compete against an engine's output. Something had to yield.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I called summit back now that I am not rushed to talk and they are sending me a new one so goes to show customer loyalty goes a long way.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Actually, it worked fine. Three times. And then *something* happened.

While you were there, but it didn't fail while you were there. The starter in the video is struggling, a mini wouldn't fare much better. Kickback is more likely to occur at a lower rpm, like when the engine is barely turning over. Timing is BTDC, if a cylinder doesn't reach TDC before combustion does it's thing, which way do you think mister piston wants to go? (hint, it's not like he has a choice) And here's that pesky starter still trying to go in the opposite direction.

Starters are tough, but they simply cannot compete against an engine's output. Something had to yield.
Like I said, on that video it was a cold engine and a dying battery. Once we got the battery charged it fired right up. I didn’t get but a few more videos but I have a slow internet connection and it takes forever to upload them. Summit is gonna do the right thing so I can’t complain. I trust my builder. If the starter was being damaged by kickback he would have told me but that’s not the case anyway because he wasn’t starting the engine anyway he was just trying to bump it over to set valve lash

Old 08-19-2019, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Doesn’t have the skill to be a mechanic but likes cars. I know what I’ll do. I’ll go work for autozone LOL
I was working on race cars before you were born, young man. I don't claim to be a expert mechanic, but I know which end of a wrench to use.

If you're using Chief as your role model, it just shows how little you know about cars. Chief tried to tell me I had alignment issues on my wife's Camaro based on the "wear" pattern on the tires in this photo.

The tires were brand new and had only been on the car for about an hour at the time the photo was taken...

Some people post a lot. Doesn't mean they understand anything about cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro DSC_2065.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	518164  

Old 08-19-2019, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
If you're using Chief as your role model, it just shows how little you know about cars. Chief tried to tell me I had alignment issues on my wife's Camaro based on the "wear" pattern on the tires in this photo.
The things Chief doesn't know could fill a library, his condition is known as verbal diarrhea.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:36 AM
Suspended

Quote:
I was working on race cars before you were born, young man. I don't claim to be a expert mechanic, but I know which end of a wrench to use.

The tires were brand new and had only been on the car for about an hour at the time the photo was taken...

Some people post a lot. Doesn't mean they understand anything about cars.
Hey bright boy, lets line them up and see who knows what and bring your canuck crew chief with you. LOL

Oh, and bring your cash. LMMFAO!!!!!

Old 08-19-2019, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Robb Mc has been flawless for quite a few years now.I added the pinion support on the last motor refresh when the compression was upped.

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471