Old 04-21-2014, 07:54 AM

Default Windshield wiper problem, 64 GTO

I've owned this car for 2 years and the wipers have never worked. I get 11.7 volts at the wire that goes to terminal 2 on the wiper motor, with the ignition key on, and ground at terminals 1 and 3 when the wiper switch is on low speed. No movement of the wipers. I'm unsure of what to do next. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You may have a bad wiper motor.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very complete info in the '64 Tempest Shop Manual. Includes disassembly instructions for the motor.

Just for starters, here is what it says for "Wiper Inoperative", wiper detached from car.

Connect up wiper to operate in "Lo" speed and observe current draw.

0 amps
(1) Loose solder connection at wiper terminal No. 2
(2) Loose splice joints (Fig. 11-101).

1-1.5 amps
(1) Open armature
(2) Brushes sticking
(3) Loose splice joint

11.0 amps
(1) Broken gear or some other condition that will stall the wiper

With wiper in car, a method is described for checking whether the dash switch or car wiring is at fault.

Back in the day, when labor was cheap and parts expensive, these wiper motors were considered serviceable.

Probably not so true today, easier to just replace. But you'll want to check to see if the motor, gear box, switch or wiring is faulty. Since you have essentially 12V at terminal 2, it suggests the wiring is okay from what I read.

Next step is to disconnect wiper transmission to see if the motor is stalled due to defective transmission or other binding.

If still no motor operation, check with wiper detached from car as outlined above.

That's just a quick summary of what I read.

Suggest you check the Shop Manual procedure. I think you can find the instructions posted on the internet.

Hope this helps.