Old 09-08-2023, 09:11 AM

Default No Headlights

I did cross post this in another Forum

1981 Firebird Formula. Put in a new motor almost 2yrs ago. I had a buddy do the 6AL box for me and various other stuff. Got the car back and I had no headlights. To fix the problem my dad and I ran a wire from the switch to a connector for the wiper motor where power is existent when the key is on (wipers aren’t hooked up, wrong motor/connection). Anyways, is there a way to get these working properly. I know nothing about how they work. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-08-2023, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If everything was factory.. I would first look for a blown fussible-link wire.

Can't remember if they come off the starter or are located behind the alternator on that turbo car.

Clay

Old 09-08-2023, 12:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

First question is do parking/tail work and just not the headlights or headlights only don’t work?

If headlights only check the dimmer switch.

I don’t have an 81 manual but I do have a diagram that’s a bit of a bear to read. It looks like power to the switch comes from the fuse panel but I can’t tell where from there. 70-79 power came off the back of the alternator through a fusible link to the headlight switch. It kind of looks like that could be the case for 80-81 but I’m not positive.

Brian
Old 09-08-2023, 01:02 PM

I have dome light (works with the switch), signals, brake lights but no parking lights, marker lights etc. it would seem that there is no power to the switch hence the wire running from another power option. I have a manual too but yah, it’s a bear to read.
Dimmer switch is in the column and with the pirated power, everything works as it should. I’m lost. Fusible links are possible. Not sure where they are exactly or what they look like

Old 09-08-2023, 01:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

They basically look like a normal wire. They’ll be a section of maybe a few inches and different gauge than the circuit they’re on.

I did find a note in one diagram I have that said the headlamp circuit is protected by a circuit breaker in the switch. I’m not familiar with that if that is the case.

Brian