Old 09-24-2023, 11:24 PM
Senior Chief

Default 1970 GTO Hazard flasher / turn signal weirdness

Trying to finish off the electrics in my 1970 GTO. The main harness/fuse block is the original (low miles car, excellent condition). Underhood harness were replaced with American Auto Wire repro's - the originals had been cut off. Also, I replaced the original signal light switch with a new one from M&H.

Something is goofy with my Hazard lights/ signal lights. The hazards work normally, but the signals flash with the ignition key off or on. And I can tell by the sound that the hazard flasher is "clicking" with the signal lights.

If I pull the Hazard flasher out of the fuse block the signals work normally - only with ignition on, and thru the signal flasher. But of course then I have no hazard lights...

I've got 2 thoughts - First, I used 2 of the same generic flashers for hazard & signals. Possibility I need a specific one for the hazards?

Second - my new turn signal switch is defective...

Ideas?

Old 09-25-2023, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As you say, the turn signal switch is defective; fix that first.

George

Old 09-25-2023, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hazard flasher is different since it operates all front and rear lights.

George

Old 09-25-2023, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Inspect and Test

Hazard power from flasher is brown wire.

Turn power from its flasher is purple wire.

These two wires are side by side in the harmonica connector for the turn signal switch.

With the turn signal connector unplugged do a continuity test between brown and purple going up to the turn signal switch.

Shouldn't be any continuity between the two.
If it does... there is definately a problem with the switch.
If it doesn't... Dash harness side of the connector and wires needs inspected to see how the two are making contact.

Clay

Old 09-25-2023, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hazards take a different flasher than the turn signal.
Try the correct ones?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 09-26-2023, 12:46 AM
Senior Chief

I honestly didn't realize the flashers were different. So I read the service manual, I should have done that first. I;m no electrical engineer but I think I've got it.

Signal flasher is "fixed" load - if the load is too low ( caused by a burned out bulb ) the flasher won't work properly and the indicator in the dash will stay lit. That's to tell you there's a bulb out.
Hazard flasher is variable load - it will flash normally even if a bulb(s) are out for safety reasons.

I'll try track down the correct flasher & see if that helps. I have my doubts though....I bet it's the reproduction switch.

Old 09-26-2023, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The turn signal switch is where all of those circuits come together. A bad switch will certainly make your lights do funny things. Eliminate that from the possibilities. Do the simple stuff first tho. Check bulb grounds, make sure the proper bulbs are in the sockets, etc.

George

Old 09-26-2023, 11:46 PM
Senior Chief

One problem solved, one created....what a frustrating evening...

It was the switch. Stupid reproduction parts!

I still had the original (but broken) switch. I also have a spare original GM switch from a 78 T/A I restored a few years ago. Both the GTO and the T/A are standard columns (no tilt). Turns out the only difference between the two switches is the connector body where it plugs in to the main harness. I was able to de-pin both connectors & put the GTO connector onto the T/A switch. Everything fit together perfectly and works as God and GM intended.

Call it a success, but I'm pretty annoyed with the whole ordeal. M and H advertises their harness as correct; the wire colors on the switch I got were totally different than original, and the harness connector was completely different. In fact, they supplied a second "adapter" harness so I could plug their switch into my original harness...pretty far from correct.

It's not just M and H either; The front lamp harness from American Autowire was defective. Every time I turned on the parking lamps the fuse would blow. I spent hours going thru the original main & rear harnesses looking for a short. I never checked the front harness because it was new. Finally I got wise enough to disconnect the front harness at the firewall - no more blown fuses. Tracked it down to a short in one of the light sockets of the new harness. Cut it off & spliced in a different one; low & behold everything works...8 hours of my life I'm never getting back...

The new problem created? Somehow in all this ordeal I smashed the passenger side door glass. I don't even know how it happened.....dammit....

Old 09-27-2023, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I hate when that crap happens, wasting time for because of defective parts. had a '93 Eldo awhile ago that needed a HVAC blower. The Eldo has a transverse V8 with the rear bank up against the motor. Getting the motor on and of is a real pain. Installed the new one... doesn't work. Took it off, tested it, works. reinstalled, doesn't work. Took it off did some trouble shooting, the + side connection somehow was grounded to the fan metal! When mounted to the car chassis, the power side was shorted to the car metal.

Further, the transistorized fan controller was damaged in the process... it didn't like being short-circuited. Tried to explain all of the above to the Autozone counter guy...... all I could see on his face was DUH............

It was a Siemens fan as I recall.

George

Old 09-27-2023, 08:19 PM
Senior Chief

Good lord, don't get me started on the counter guys....

I guess it could be worse. I'm trying to help a friend with her Vespa scooter. What a parts nightmare that thing is...