Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Amp Gauge wiring?

I am trying to help a friend rewire his 67 Dodge Charger and I have a question about the amp gauge. There are two red wires of the same size that go to the gauge. Does it matter which wire goes to which terminal?

Old 12-09-2019, 10:24 PM

It will either read charging or discharging, depending on how the wires are connected.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got it. One of the lugs on the gauge was marked for the red wire.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It does matter as DC current flows in one direction only. The amp gauge terminals should have positive and negative marks on them. If it is hooked up backwards the needle will show hard below the zero (or the lowest number on the scale). I am not sure if incorrect connection will harm the gauge or not.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 01-27-2020, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If only one is marked for a red wire, then it will be the red wire that goes to the supply side of the harness, should lead to the alternator.

A nice geegaw to have in your shop would be a cheap DC amp gauge that can be used to test the setup before you attach to the gauge ... about $20 on Amazon.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The two wires that hook to the gauge are red and black so finding "red" on one terminal made it pretty easy. Now I have to figure out what the condenser/noise suppressor to the left of the amp gauge hooks to. The wire was missing when the dash was disassembled. There are three lugs on the fuel gauge so maybe it goes there.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm no expert ... but it would seem odd to have a condenser on the fuel gauge. I think typically they are on the alternator output or ignition related.

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1967/67ChryslerA.JPG

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1967/67ChargerB.JPG

I'm not seeing a condenser except the one in the dizzy. Although... some radio or ignition options might have added one, and some aftermarket radios back in the day included an add-on condenser.

More schematics found here: http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=27

Checked a few other similar models .... noted that some of the luxury models did have a fuel gauge with an extra lug intended for the fuel level warning indicator.

Last edited by dataway; 01-28-2020 at 02:53 AM.