Old 01-22-2020, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I originally saw this post, I wasn't near my car and did not recall that the rivets were actually outside the VIN 'window' and aft of the opening.
My dash pad has been recovered at some point by an old school upholsterer. It actually has stitched seams...so it may have been a little overstuffed and may not push forward as far as an original...so you can see my rivets but just barely.

Old 01-22-2020, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rosette portion is visible from the top side on my 68. Hard to believe they could be installed from the bottom ... aren't they blind rivets? The "stem" would be sticking up on the top if they were installed from the bottom.

Mine is still completely apart, I'll try to get photos above and below today.

Old 01-22-2020, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are 2 pictures from different project GTOs I own, both with dash pad removed ( you can clearly see where dash pad boundary is).
  1. One (Arlington car) shows rosette rivets on top - Burgundy car
  2. Other (Pontiac car) shows opposite. Note, former owner appears to have attempted to drill out the rivets - can see on far rivet in picture - Verdoro car

My guess is that, regardless of guidance at a give plant, the assembly worker did what was most expedient for them...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5760.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	529448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vin3.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	529450  

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 01-22-2020, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't forget that many cars had moisture issues at the base of the windshield where the metal dash meets the glass. I have seen more than a few cars who had repairs performed with the windshield out and then the top of the dash sprayed when done. Some do it "right" and others perform what they think "looks good". These are not always the same.

I would bet the car is as stated, just having had dash repair and repaint.

Good luck!

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 01-22-2020, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look at that, the stems are sticking up. Obvious installed from below. Probably depended on if "Joe" happened to be under the dash at the time ... "Bob" hands him the rivet gun and says ''Stick that on there for me Joe"

I wonder at what point on the assembly line the tags were added, at the body plant before it was mated to the chassis? Considering that some VINs are stamped on the firewall, that would mean they knew what body was going where way before it was mated with the chassis ... so I guess the VIN tag could actually be added when the upper dash panel was stamped, before it was even welded to rest of the body.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:14 PM

To avoid any future confusion on which posts were made in which thread, I merged the two discussions on this topic.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 11:13 PM
Senior Chief

I think it safe to say most of the time the rivets are covered by the dash pad. Good point about rivets not being inside the "window". Here is a picture of my 68 Tempest Custom VIN tag. This car has 49,000 original miles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	529580  

Old 01-22-2020, 11:23 PM
Senior Chief

Here's what may have caused some confusion for me. These 69 GTO VIN tags have rivets in a different and more noticeable place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2020-01-22-22-18-53.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	529581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-01-22-22-22-47.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	529582  

Old 01-23-2020, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I recall having the rivet discussion in the past. My recollection is that the majority of the plants installed the rivets "down" (with the rosette portion on top) but that there was one plant that did it in the opposite directions for some reason (rosette on the bottom).

Perhaps in their process the windshield glass was already installed, forcing them to do it in a different way. In any case, I would not expect variation in the way it was done within the same plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I wonder at what point on the assembly line the tags were added, at the body plant before it was mated to the chassis? Considering that some VINs are stamped on the firewall, that would mean they knew what body was going where way before it was mated with the chassis ... so I guess the VIN tag could actually be added when the upper dash panel was stamped, before it was even welded to rest of the body.
VIN tags typically are installed in the first operation in the trim area. (ie, body has been built and painted, coming down out of paint into trim, well before the body is mated to the chassis).

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-23-2020, 11:31 PM
Senior Chief

Everyone thanks for the info. I learned some new things. I made an offer on the car in question but was not accepted. However I am better prepared to make the next purchase!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mcronk For This Useful Post: