Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 02-09-2020, 04:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default What's it worth - 1970 Roadrunner

I may now have an opportunity to buy a '70 Roadrunner that has been NFS(not for sale) for many years. It has been off the road since about 1980. I haven't had a chance to look at the car yet, so I am going off what I think I remember from the last time I saw it 12ish years ago. Originally a 383/Auto car but there is no engine in it now. The owner does have a 440 that can go with(needs rebuilt). If I remember all the stories from my youth correctly, I believe it has a deep geared posi from a '67 GTX or Coronet. B5 blue. Car was repainted in the '70s after it went through a barbed wire fence. The current owner began stripping the paint a few years ago and has since lost interest. To my recollection the car is pretty solid. Can't remember if the interior is bench or buckets(I think bench). Original wheels are long gone. I assume the interior will need the seats recovered just due to dry rot/age.

So what is a fair number? I don't want to spend any extra, but I don't want to cheat the guy either.

Old 02-09-2020, 08:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Look at the Hagerty website- they have a great valuations tool. You can see what estimated values are and then factor in the cost to fix/repair/replace whatever you need.

Old 02-09-2020, 09:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Look at the Hagerty website- they have a great valuations tool. You can see what estimated values are and then factor in the cost to fix/repair/replace whatever you need.
That was the first thing I did in an attempt to get a starting point. IMO Hagerty is on the high side in this instance. Additionally, I think we all know that if I take the Hagerty number and subtract the cost of what a project car usually needs I would be nearing junk price. Of course, that is not generally reflective of a "fair market value".
Maybe I should have titled the thread "What would it be expected to sell for".

Old 02-09-2020, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmmmm.... anything special about this RR, for example, someone prev stick an AirGrabber hood on it? 2 things need to be checked out thoroughly, first the condition of the body. If the body looks half way solid, will need to go up on a lift & bunch of poking around should pursue. Last, need to ID as well as the determine condition of the 440 engine. Early factory performance 440 is def worth more than later one out of a motor home. Narrow those perimeters down, & it would be much easier to suggest a buy in price.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Hmmmm.... anything special about this RR, for example, someone prev stick an AirGrabber hood on it? 2 things need to be checked out thoroughly, first the condition of the body. If the body looks half way solid, will need to go up on a lift & bunch of poking around should pursue. Last, need to ID as well as the determine condition of the 440 engine. Early factory performance 440 is def worth more than later one out of a motor home. Narrow those perimeters down, & it would be much easier to suggest a buy in price.
Nothing special about the car(beyond simply being a RR). It was his first car which is the reason it was NFS for so long. The only mods it had done were drivetrain, slot mags and a hoodscoop. It has a correct, unbutchered base Roadrunner hood with it though. I'm guessing the 440 is a low performance big car or motorhome engine. He knows enough about Mopars that I'm sure he would've known and mentioned if it was a factory performance 440. I'm hoping the car is as solid as I remember it. Otherwise the value, for me especially, will plummet.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Being nothing special, it's worth about 25-30k in excellent restored condition. Figure backwards from there and you will get what it's really worth. Probably better to leave it alone.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 02-10-2020, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sold mine 4 years ago for 25K driver all stock 383 pistol grip. Extra drive train also. Might look to get it back, it was a good car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70 Roadrunner.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	531613  

TOM
Old 02-10-2020, 11:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem1912 View Post
Sold mine 4 years ago for 25K driver all stock 383 pistol grip. Extra drive train also. Might look to get it back, it was a good car.
I don't know if my opinion is consistent with the market or not. However, I am of the mindset that an auto car should be roughly 20% less than a 4 speed.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mopar stuff will bring good money. I sold a nice solid RM21 ‘69 Roadrunner rolling shell for $5,000 a couple years ago. You’ll certainly want to check the frame rails and torsion bar crossmember for rust. Also check to make sure the VIN matches on the core support and by the rear quarter trunk weatherstrip lip. Pretty easy to bolt a RR dash/vin in a Belvedere or Satellite. Also make sure the fender tag is there. Sounds like it needs completely restored. I think $5,000 would be fair for a good solid roller that needs everything restored.

Last edited by John Milner; 02-11-2020 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by justincampbell View Post
I don't know if my opinion is consistent with the market or not. However, I am of the mindset that an auto car should be roughly 20% less than a 4 speed.
I would agree, a lot of Mopars around that year were column shift auto to boot.

TOM