Old 02-12-2003, 04:00 AM

the only wrecking yard in the portland/vancouver area with any ropeshaft parts is all american classics. they are crooks! everytime i go there needing parts for my 62 lemans i leave feeling broke and victimized. that all changed monday morning. the oregonian ran an ad fri/sat/sun for a 62 lemans dirt cheap. i called sunday morning when i saw it and got an answering machine. i figured it must have allready been sold. the one week i didnt read the classifieds on friday. i waited all day for a call back and tried calling every hour. i finally gave up. monday i called the number again (just to see what i missed out on). the guy answered and said he forgot about the ad and was gone all weekend. he said a ton of people called and he hadnt called anyone back yet. i told him dont bother i'll take it and raced across town. the car is fairly complete. its a 4 cyl 2bbl automatic. it runs great but he said the tranny wont do anything when put in gear. i checked the dipstick cover and it looks like it hasnt been removed in a very long time (i'll see what a little fluid will do). it was a factory air conditioned car but the compressor is gone. i think thats kinda rare in early lemans. its got a factory radiator fan shroud and larger fan. the body is so so, trunk rust, couple bullet holes, etc, but the lemans chrome and all the glass is still there. it even came with all four T-3 headlights. unfortunately the bumpers and right front fender i really needed are in worse shape than mine. a guy could restore or make a decent driver from it but it needs a lot of work. the guy said it had been sitting in a barn for about 20 years. im taking what i need from it and parting out the rest. maybe that wrecking yard will buy it when im done. all they have there is a 63 with nothing good left on it and a 62 convertible that is in very poor condition. the do have one of the better websites ive seen ( allamericanclassics.com )but they are pricey. there are a lot of old pontiacs in the yard that arent on the inventory list. its a cool wrecking yard to walk through and check out all the old cars but the thrill is abruptly ended at the cash register. does anyone know where i can get a beefy cam for my 62 4 cyl/4 bbl motor?

Old 02-12-2003, 04:00 AM

the only wrecking yard in the portland/vancouver area with any ropeshaft parts is all american classics. they are crooks! everytime i go there needing parts for my 62 lemans i leave feeling broke and victimized. that all changed monday morning. the oregonian ran an ad fri/sat/sun for a 62 lemans dirt cheap. i called sunday morning when i saw it and got an answering machine. i figured it must have allready been sold. the one week i didnt read the classifieds on friday. i waited all day for a call back and tried calling every hour. i finally gave up. monday i called the number again (just to see what i missed out on). the guy answered and said he forgot about the ad and was gone all weekend. he said a ton of people called and he hadnt called anyone back yet. i told him dont bother i'll take it and raced across town. the car is fairly complete. its a 4 cyl 2bbl automatic. it runs great but he said the tranny wont do anything when put in gear. i checked the dipstick cover and it looks like it hasnt been removed in a very long time (i'll see what a little fluid will do). it was a factory air conditioned car but the compressor is gone. i think thats kinda rare in early lemans. its got a factory radiator fan shroud and larger fan. the body is so so, trunk rust, couple bullet holes, etc, but the lemans chrome and all the glass is still there. it even came with all four T-3 headlights. unfortunately the bumpers and right front fender i really needed are in worse shape than mine. a guy could restore or make a decent driver from it but it needs a lot of work. the guy said it had been sitting in a barn for about 20 years. im taking what i need from it and parting out the rest. maybe that wrecking yard will buy it when im done. all they have there is a 63 with nothing good left on it and a 62 convertible that is in very poor condition. the do have one of the better websites ive seen ( allamericanclassics.com )but they are pricey. there are a lot of old pontiacs in the yard that arent on the inventory list. its a cool wrecking yard to walk through and check out all the old cars but the thrill is abruptly ended at the cash register. does anyone know where i can get a beefy cam for my 62 4 cyl/4 bbl motor?

Old 02-12-2003, 08:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You know that Mickey Thompson raced those things, There should be cams available, Isn't that engine 1/2 of a 389???

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/Pre1964Pontiacs.html

Old 02-13-2003, 08:59 PM
Senior Chief

As far as I can tell, there are no "new" cams for these engines. The bearing journal spacing is the same as a V-8, but the lobes are not "clocked" right. The differences in firing order preclude the use of a V-8 cam. However, you can have a stock 4 cyl cam re-ground, or if you don't mind running roller lifters, you can have a V-8 billet cam blank ground to 4-cyl specs. I would guess it to be expensive though. I found a good used solid roller cam from an old racer guy in Vancouver B.C. Canada. It is a Howard grind and is pretty wild. Not sure how it is going to be for street manners, but I guess I'll find out.

Prevert? I'm way past that! I'm a Postvert!
http://community.webshots.com/user/motornoggin

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com/
Old 03-19-2003, 09:03 PM
Senior Chief

hey iron duke,
how is the front valance and grill for this 62 tempest you have?
please email me at shifters@webtv.net alex.

Old 03-20-2003, 12:43 PM
Senior Chief

Isky still has 4cyl blanks and can grind you a flat tappet cam. If you need a roller you can get a blank from BOP Engineering and have them or some one else grind it. BOP is doing a 4cyl roller for me right now.